Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Razor Red Dot observations

mscott

I moved the 6 moa Razor red dot to a new Matchmaster I just acquired. I have a sideways C-More on my other gun and don't miss the larger lens at all. I'm guessing I've only ran 6-800 rounds through it, so not any long term opinions yet. Have not shot a match with it yet either, but will this weekend.

So far I'm a bit pessimistic that it may not last. I really like the sight, but it started turning itself off while shooting major loads. No problem with minor ammo, though. I put a piece of wide rubber band under the battery terminal and seems to have solved that problem. Now the sight automatically gets brighter while shooting major ammo, which is not a problem on sunny days, but it was a bit overcast this afternoon and max brightness was way too much. No problem with minor ammo on that issue either. I know Vortex will take care of any problems with the sight failing, but I wonder if the Matchmaster isn't just too much for the sight. Thinking I might have to stick to the C-More or try a Deltapoint Pro.

post-7061-0-73764200-1461375421_thumb.jp

post-7061-0-71218500-1461375434_thumb.jp

post-7061-0-57826900-1461375475_thumb.jp

I've seen enough posts of people having trouble with the RTS2 to kinda scare me away from them. Might have to try one of the 8 moa versions at some point, but am still thinking about the Leupold.

Two of my friends used them and had the same problems as you, one of the moved away from Vortex and the other is still having issues with it.

RTS2 also had the same problem don't know if they have fixed by now (Currently at Generation 3).

But I would go for the DeltaPoint Pro, you can use the Arredondo mount or Matt Cheely has one also. (and Dominic Meier in Europe)

If you surf around the web you can find it at $491.

Two of my friends used them and had the same problems as you, one of the moved away from Vortex and the other is still having issues with it.

The guy I talked to at Vortex acted like he'd never heard of such a thing. Oh well, I'm going to send it in and hope for the best. Any more problems and a DP Pro will be next.

• 3 weeks later...

Vortex replaced the Razor red dot with a brand new one. Packing slip said they verified the problem and replaced with new sight. Now the new one is doing the same thing. I'm thinking they are just not built to handle an Open gun. Thinking I'll have a DP Pro soon.

Optics Planet has an "open box, dealer demo" for $509.99

I keep thinking that I should by one, then I come to my senses. My original Delta Point has been on my open gun for 5 years now. Seems I have to tweak ever so slightly every spring. Could be just my old eyes LOL. I replace the battery every spring and GTG

Anyhow, if I needed one I would jump of that!

I am around 10k rounds on my DeltaPoint pro in 3 months with zero issues.

Scott, I seen there was a group buy posted that you guys did for DeltaPoints and Oakleys. How are the other deltaPoints doing?

Edited by bigboy69

Scott, I seen there was a group buy posted that you guys did for DeltaPoints and Oakleys. How are the other deltaPoints doing?

Still going strong. Lesgar and I have been running them for a couple months now with zero issues. I am around 10k rounds on my primary and probably 1500 or so through my backup.

I have a thread going on the DPP here...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230669&hl=

Still going strong. Lesgar and I have been running them for a couple months now with zero issues. I am around 10k rounds on my primary and probably 1500 or so through my backup.

I have a thread going on the DPP here...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230669&hl=

I've been following.

Thank You

Vortex replaced the Razor red dot with a brand new one. Packing slip said they verified the problem and replaced with new sight. Now the new one is doing the same thing. I'm thinking they are just not built to handle an Open gun. Thinking I'll have a DP Pro soon.

While I've not used their red dot, I've had to send a viper 4-16 back to them 4 times before they finally gave me a refund ... Told me " the problem you are having, is as likely as pouring water in my hand and making a diamond"

Great customer service huh? Lol I won't buy another vortex anything..... Ever

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, mscott said:

The last one Vortex replaced had the same problem, so it now resides on a GSG 1911 rimfire. I'll stick to the DP Pro.

That stinks, especially for such an expensive dot!  Any issues on the rimfire?  I'm wondering how it would do on a PCC...

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

That stinks, especially for such an expensive dot!  Any issues on the rimfire?  I'm wondering how it would do on a PCC...

I'm sure it would be fine on a carbine.  It was fine on my open gun with minor ammo, but the major ammo is too much for it. I have had no issues on the rimfire pistol or the one I have on an AR15. 

18 minutes ago, mscott said:

I'm sure it would be fine on a carbine.  It was fine on my open gun with minor ammo, but the major ammo is too much for it. I have had no issues on the rimfire pistol or the one I have on an AR15. 

So it sounds like you appreciate it enough to have gotten a few more?  Can you give me your impressions after a year's use?  Dot brightness, glass clarity, etc., etc.?  I'm using C-More RTS2's on my steel rimfires but as I'm looking into the future on a PCC build, I'm thinking about that being somewhat "dual purpose" as an HD gun as well as for competition so I'm researching dots that might be a bit more able to take hard knocks.  I don't exactly know where the Razor falls in that realm, but I know that Vortex generally makes some pretty rugged scopes.  Thanks for your input, J

I have 2 of them. Only reason I bought the other one was it was a great deal in the classifieds on another forum. $230 with the 45 degree mount to use on 3 gun rifle. Besides those Razors I have an RTS2 and a DP Pro along with a few smaller dots like the Docter and Fastfire 3 and some Cmore slide ride/railway sights. Railway is my choice for my pcc guns.

If I need to spend money on another red dot sight it will likely be another 2.5 min Delta Point Pro.