Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scorpion EVO s1

All-Gator

My squad at last Sunday's USPSA match had three shooters competing in the provisional PCC division...all of whom were using Scorpion SBRs. They seem to be having way too much fun not to join them. By
Wednesday, I had my own Scorpion in a pistol configuration and, now, am waiting for a stamp and a bunch of after market "stuff."

After a day at the range I found that the Scorpion makes Major PF with my CzechMate open loads (7.8 g. of HS6 behind 125 JHP's) and functions fine with my PO9 Minor PF loads (3.0 g. of Clays behind 147 JHP's.) The recoil of the Major loads surprisingly is probably the same as a 5.56 although the Minor loads are way, way less. With the added accuracy, I think I would opt to shoot Minor. (BTW, I don't know if the Major/Minor scoring difference applies to PCC or not. Actually, I don't know anything about the provisional rules...although it was obvious that some of the normal rules will have to undergo some changes...for example, facing up-range as a required starting position.) Initially, the mag release, slide release, and safety arrangements were confusing; but, by the end of the session, quickly became natural to use. However, the right side ambi-safety has to go! The biggest BUT is the trigger...a mile of pre-travel accompanied by creep, grittiness, fluctuating pressure and plenty of over-travel. The reset is also about a mile long. The advertised 10-pound let-off may be a rather conservative figure...whatever, it's heavy as hell!

I've viewed the two available U-tube videos detailing the Scorpion's Fire Control system. The only advice was to "polish" and install the HB Industries reduced power springs. Nothing about reducing pre-travel, over-travel, or reducing reset. Both videos did state that anyone familiar with the AK will be able to apply the same techniques to enhance the trigger. Any, and I do mean ANY, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DVC

Must have missed something... Didn't see anything saying PPC was a provisional division, only that the USPSA president and Board of Directors are currently evaluating the possibility of adding a provisional Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) division to USPSA, and USPSA h. A proposed developed and released for comment from the general membership PPC rules.

Must have missed something... Didn't see anything saying PPC was a provisional division, only that the USPSA president and Board of Directors are currently evaluating the possibility of adding a provisional Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) division to USPSA, and USPSA h. A proposed developed and released for comment from the general membership PPC rules.

It was voted in last week at the BOD meeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my stamp back for my scorpion and am going to use it this weekend for steel challenge! I agree on the trigger needing addressed. Thanks for the heads up on the czc trigger option cz85combat I'll have to look into that. Funny I bought it because I thought it would be a sweet sbr, and then pcc started to gain traction. Can't wait to put it through its paces at a uspsa match.

Between the price point and reliability, this thing is going to be very well represented in PCC. Just picked one up and will send away for the stamp. It runs anything from 147's at 130 PF to +P HST's to factory 115's. Bullet profile, powder charge, bullet weight, none of that mattered for mine. The thing just runs and runs. Mags are only $20 for the 30 rounders so the biggest cost is going to be keeping this thing fed when it finally has a stock. Also, slapping the charging handle down to act like an 80's action hero put a huge smile on my face. :goof:

Has anyone tested loads between 115, 124 and 147 at 130ish PF to see if there is a sweet spot in terms of sight (dot) movement? I know it's splitting hairs and I'll likely just load the same for the EVO as I do for my production pistol, just curious if anyone has tested yet.

It seems that many are complaining about the feed lips on the mags being too fragile. Apparently just leaving the mag fully loaded for any length of time will cause then to fracture. I wonder if they are going to hold up under the rigors of competition? Slam reloads, etc. As I indicated above, my production loads are still making PF in the EVO.

A-G

It seems that many are complaining about the feed lips on the mags being too fragile. Apparently just leaving the mag fully loaded for any length of time will cause then to fracture. I wonder if they are going to hold up under the rigors of competition? Slam reloads, etc. As I indicated above, my production loads are still making PF in the EVO.

A-G

I do not believe this was a widespread problem. Many people have fully loaded mags and left them that way for months and months. A few people had a problem and that story blew up but has been addressed I believe.

I just got a chance to hold one of this at the gun store this morning. Thanks for the info on the CZC triggers. Looks like I will be ordering one here shortly!

CZC have been doing trigger jobs on the factory parts, been getting around the 3.5#-4# trigger pull

We will have a hammer/sear/trigger/spring kit available soon.

12819298_1528176040812427_80127343548979

Been testing it out and its pretty cool.

Edited by eerw

Very excited to get that trigger kit when it's available! Shot the Evo yesterday for steel challenge and it was wicked fun. One stage was a Texas star and it didn't stand a chance, cleaned it in 2.8 and 2.5 from low ready. Got the stage win on that one. Any eta when the trigger kit will be available?