Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New revolvers

jlchevy

Good on you!

Last year I wanted to change it up and figured I'd shoot revo for a few months and get classified in USPSA.

Turns out it is like crack and I shot it most of the year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

so beware! It is a lot of fun!

:cheers:

• 1 month later...

JL, first I hope you're able to keep your powder dry and you're on high ground.

Use to live in Ft Bend. Went to the rodeo in Simonton several times.

Love shooting revolvers. I remind the other shooters that the west wasn't won with a bottom feeder. It's more of an accuracy game.

Revo's are an acquired taste but addictive. Different game with only 6 shots. Had a Limited Master in my club wanted to get revo classified. Ran 4 classifier stages with my full on 625PC w/ Apex Competition trigger and he couldn't give it back fast enough. Mumbled something about it being too humbling. :goof:

Once you've learned to run it's hard to accept you've got to go back to learning how to walk again. The same has been said for those trying to get used to guns with different trigger arrangements (SA, DA, DAO, Safe Action) yet it can be done as has been demonstrated by many people in IDPA. Putting ego aside and putting in the work on basics is a good first step. Buck, don't spread the word about revo's addictive nature. The present administration may try to do away with the 2nd Amendment on that basis.

Dude, welcome to the wheel gun club... I run a 686SSR in IDPA myself. Give you some learning curve stuff I learned:

125gr Xtreme Plated bullets with 5.4gr~5.6gr vv N320 and a federal small pistol primer is what I run.

Jet loaders are the best, and the safariland loaders don't seem to last as long.

Reduced power mainspring, adjust your tension screw another quarter to half turn after you thing you have reliable ignition and lock tight that sucker. If you decide to try to do it the pro way by filing on it, order a spare two from brownells first.

http://www.miculek.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7

If you not sure just pack it up and mail it to apex...

The ready tactical speed loader holders may not look the coolest, but they are the best for sure. They take less room on your belt, are idpa legal, and they work. I got mine and holster from cpwsa. Safariland makes a good revolver holster too, but if you buy a lined holster, you got to spray some silicon in there and deal with break in.

Get a kydex reinforced rigid carry belt, don't cheap out on it, you'll get your money out of it.

Don't be afraid to dry fire your revolver... seriously, i abuse the heck out of mine. Just don't bend your crane doing reloads. There are lots of techniques, and videos on youtube. Watch some of the pro wheel gun shooters, and mimic their techniques see which one fits you best.

And heads up, don't know why, but shooting a wheel gun is addictive. Probably in big part because its ok not being first overall, a lot of times your really only competing with yourself at local matches.

Year of the Revolver for me. I normally shoot my 625 in the winter but this year it is all I am shooting in IDPA and I bought a 627 and gear just for USPSA.

It is fun and some of the looks I get when I place above some other people are priceless. Get the trigger(s) down to 7-8 pounds and smoothe. You can go plenty fast from there.

Now if I could just find a cowboy hat that had holes for my muffs...

Just get the muffs that fit behind your neck. Then you can still wear your cowboy hat. I think Peltor makes them.

Yep they to, the tactical 6s and I think the tactical sports are both offered in behind the head/neck bands.

To the OP, welcome to the dark (and better) side of shooting sports. People may not understand us for shooting wheelguns, but wheelgun shooters are the sort that look after one another and IMO are some of the best people I have had the pleasure of shooting with.

Just get the muffs that fit behind your neck. Then you can still wear your cowboy hat. I think Peltor makes them.

I tried that, doesn't work.

Year of the Revolver for me. I normally shoot my 625 in the winter but this year it is all I am shooting in IDPA and I bought a 627 and gear just for USPSA.

It is fun and some of the looks I get when I place above some other people are priceless. Get the trigger(s) down to 7-8 pounds and smoothe. You can go plenty fast from there.

Unless you are adverse to them, molded earplugs should provide adequate protection and allow for a cowboy hat comforably to be worn. That is what I used to do shooting in SASS.

• 4 weeks later...