Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading .223, powder making a mess

So this weekend I made my second batch of .223 using Varget and encountered an issue on my 650. Several times when indexing powder would dump all over the press. It was as if it was bridging at the neck. There would be roughly 1/2 the charge in the case and the rest all over me.

Took the powder assembly apart and reinstalled it per the instructions and still encountered the problem. Any ideas? Other than the mishaps, metering was very consistent.

Edited by NatureBoy

So this weekend I made my second batch of .223 using Varget and encountered an issue on my 650. Several times when indexing powder would dump all over the press. It was as if it was bridging at the neck. There would be roughly 1/2 the charge in the case and the rest all over me.

Took the powder assembly apart and reinstalled it per the instructions and still encountered the problem. Any ideas? Other than the mishaps, metering was very consistent.

Yes, it's bridging. More than likely due to the small case neck. I never have that issue when loading 308. I switched to H335 for 223, and totally solved that issue.

Use a Dremel tool and a cratex polishing cone to smooth the interior of the upper part of the funnel, where the powder goes into the case. I switched to Hodgdon CFE223 powder for loading 223, it is a spherical powder that meters very well, works for both 55 grain and the heavier VLD bullets in .223

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try that polishing trick and see if it makes a difference.

I have some very accurate Varget loads for my bolt action and don't want to give up on it. As you guys know, spilling even a few grains of powder feels like you just dumped half a pound.

I also have some W748, BLC(2), VVN135, VVN140 and Benchmark to play with

Followed the advise above.

1. Polished distal end of the powder funnel. Used a fiber buffing tip on a dremel and some maas polishing compound. Couldn't find any cratex tips.

2. Waited longer at the top of the stroke.

Made 100 rounds with Varget. No powder dumps.

Thanks fellas

• 6 months later...
On 4/20/2016 at 8:56 AM, NatureBoy said:

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll try that polishing trick and see if it makes a difference.

I have some very accurate Varget loads for my bolt action and don't want to give up on it. As you guys know, spilling even a few grains of powder feels like you just dumped half a pound.

I also have some W748, BLC(2), VVN135, VVN140 and Benchmark to play with

hiya, i have two pounds of H322 and it is spilling over when loading .223's. i read that above to change powder. before i give up on H322 any other intel? 

much obliged, max

On 4/19/2016 at 2:24 PM, NatureBoy said:

Switched to RL-15 works well with the Dillon powder measure.

Edited by Boxerglocker

1 hour ago, Max It said:

for heavier bullets than what i shoot.

am loading 55gn for target shooting.

RL15 is for heavier and no load data on 55gn. but thanks.

The OP was questioning the bridge issues with Varget,  you can get Varget performance with better metering using RL15.  Though I would not use it other than for possibly a high velocity 52 or 55 varmint load in my bolt gun,  you can find previously published data in Lee manuals.  

Edited by Boxerglocker