Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Browning A5 2 3/4 slug recomendation

shaun1826

I can't find any reduced recoil slugs locally so I'm going to have to order some. Ive heard good things about Fiocci 1 oz and 7/8 oz reduced recoil as well as Remington Managed recoil slugs. The Fiocchi are a bit cheaper than the Remington, but I've read a couple people say they didn't cycle well in the A5. I would just order a few boxes of each, but can't find a seller that has both in stock and hate to pay 2 shipping charges. Anyone shoot both through the A5? If so is one better than the other, or a third alternate I haven't mentioned? Thanks!

As a self proclaimed A5 gunsmith. All of my A5s go out with a recommendation of using Federal Premium 1350 fps 1oz Tru-Ball or Law Enforcement 1300s. Same with the buckshot, 1325 fps Flitecontrol wad. Not as hot as deer loads but you can definitely tell the difference between the shot shell.

The A5 standard load is 1 1/8oz 1200fps. Slug and Buck loads are usually longer, with high brass, and non-consistent hulls due to the loads. It makes sense to shoot hotter loads than 1200/1250fps.

I see so many shooters focused on trying to get lighter slugs to run in their guns. WHY! Is the risk of a jam worth the .20 of a sec on 5 or 10 targets in a whole match? (Most matches with slugs are 1 shot on steel or paper, you have to transition to the next target anyway). Man-up people!

ALSO, the Tru-Ball slugs are super accurate in the Benelli M2 tacticals..

post-11850-0-23678100-1460987970_thumb.j

Edited by roxymajor

Federal low recoil truball cycle real well but are real real inaccurate past 30yds on full size IPSC target.Fiocchi and Remington do not cycle 100% Fiocchi 7/8 oz are scary accurate and will work if you cut 4 links off recoil spring

As a self proclaimed A5 gunsmith. All of my A5s go out with a recommendation of using Federal Premium 1350 fps 1oz Tru-Ball or Law Enforcement 1300s. Same with the buckshot, 1325 fps Flitecontrol wad. Not as hot as deer loads but you can definitely tell the difference between the shot shell.

The A5 standard load is 1 1/8oz 1200fps. Slug and Buck loads are usually longer, with high brass, and non-consistent hulls due to the loads. It makes sense to shoot hotter loads than 1200/1250fps.

I see so many shooters focused on trying to get lighter slugs to run in their guns. WHY! Is the risk of a jam worth the .20 of a sec on 5 or 10 targets in a whole match? (Most matches with slugs are 1 shot on steel or paper, you have to transition to the next target anyway). Man-up people!

ALSO, the Tru-Ball slugs are super accurate in the Benelli M2 tacticals..

I seem to be getting leading from the regular 1300 fps truball slugs in my a5. You think the copper jacket on the 1350's would stop this?

Leading. Yes the copper coated slugs should help. The Tru-ball all lead will gum up a VersaMax quick. I don't believe I have shot the lead only Tru-ball in my A5 the last couple of years. I have not noticed the copper coated having the same effect.

The Fiocchi 7/8ths almost ran in mine. If I really kept my shoulder into the gun they would usually work. After that I tried lightening the bolt somewhere lost ground. Thanks for the recommendation. I was looking for a more powerful slug to try as the Remington were not cutting it for me either. I agree, no need to try to go super light. Not like we are double tapping paper targets or anything.

I tried Fiocchi 7/8 ounce low recoil, Remington Managed recoil, and Remington Full powered Slugger this past weekend.

The Slugger was the only one that cycled with no problem. But was 8 inches high at 50 yards. I only had 2 of these so didnt test at 100 yards.

Fiocchi was the most accurate. 2 inches high at 50, 2 inches low at 100. It however wouldnt eject fully out of the chamber and I had to manually cycle the next round.

Remington Managed recoil was 4 inch low and 3 inches right at 50 and 18 inches low at 100 yards. Had to manually cycle 2 of the 3 rounds I shot with this one.

My gun only has 100 shells or so through it so I'm hoping that once it gets broken in and I lube it good it will cycle the Fiocchi since it is so accurrate.

The Fiocchi slugs will not cycle my A5. Neither will S&B slugs.

Winchester Ranger low recoil cycles well in it and is what I also use in my M2.

I may need to try the Prime slugs as well as Remington managed recoil and Federal TruBall.

• 1 month later...

Based on the recommendation above I bought 100 trubore and used them at a match on Sunday.

They functioned perfectly every time which is great since I have been struggling with Fiocchi 7/8 Oz and Remington. Now I just have to get my rear sight adjusted as I was shooting way over the top of my intended target.

Thanks again.