Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you keep EGD grip tight?

MilkMyDuds

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 3:09 PM, MilkMyDuds said:

I have used factory wood, Henning and SSI scale grips with no problems. Few hundred rounds on each.

The only issue is with the EGD extreme grips, and only on the right side grip. The left side grip has held tight through a couple thousand rounds (after I used blue Loctite). However, the right side grip becomes loose after 100 or so rounds even with blue Loctite. When it becomes loose, I can feel the panel moving a bit to start with, then the screw becomes loose and I can unscrew it easily as if no Loctite has ever been applied.

I noticed the backside of the screw area on the right side grip appears to be scratched, maybe due to movements/friction with the frame after it becomes loose. These scratch marks do not appear on the left side grip. And the frame of the gun around the screw hole is smooth with no obvious marks or burrs.

No problem when dry firing. Only becomes loose in live fire, after 100 or so rounds. I suppose the vibration is causing this? I am surprised Loctite cannot hold

What would be the best way to keep the right side grip tight all the time? Any suggestions? Should I try Loctite red? Besides using the original extreme screws, I have also tried using Henning screws. Same result. Always becomes loose after 100 or so rounds.

Thanks.

edg1.jpg

edg2.jpg

Put a tiny oring under head and screw it down.  Mine stays tight with it

• 9 months later...

I ran into the same issue on my Elite Custom Limited with EGD extreme grips.  The left side would come loose after less than 100 rounds.  New screws did not help.  So, I picked up a pack of the Danco #60 O-rings at Home Depot.  Going to try these with some blue Loctite before a big match this weekend.

UPDATE:

After installing the Danco #60 O-rings, I found that when you tighten the screw on the grip, the rubber o-ring flattens and a portion sticks out (protrudes) from the screw-hole recess in the grip.  But, after looking all through the shelves at Home Depot, I found a #6 stainless steel lock washer that fits perfectly in the screw-hole recess.  With a little blue loctite, and the lock washer, should be good to go.  I have a match this weekend, so, will see if it holds up.

Here's a like to the #6 lock washer:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-6-Stainless-Steel-Split-Lock-Washers-12-per-Pack-32581/202706382