Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gary Thompson

LilBunniFuFu

Wednesday afternoon Gary passed in a boating accident in the waters near his home in Key Largo.

Many of you know him a the crazy old guy ROing at Universal for the past few years.

Many more of you may know him as the chrono guy at big matches in New York in the early 90's.

Either way, we are going to miss that crazy bastard. We all have great stories about him.

I was saddened to hear the news this week. He's been around the shooting sports probably longer than anyone on this forum. I have been fortunate to have him working matches for me for a number of years recently.

We also just started a popper business selling the 2 piece poppers we use here at USA. Just had our first couple order come in and I hired him to come up and do a bunch of welding for us. Just the week before last he was here for 8 days welding and working the Area 6 Multigun. I consider myself lucky to hang with him for a week so recently. He was welding all day while I was prepping for the match and we had beers afterwards each day and talked about shooting and whatever came up. He even taught me to weld a bit and fixed my pos trailer I use for the atv.

Awesome guy and horrible news to hear, thoughts are with his wife and family.

Funny story, one match last year, forget which one it was. FL Open maybe. He wanted a 4 wheeler like all the cool kids on the range and stopped by the local dealership in Lake Wales. Bought a 6 or 8 grand Polaris (I think it was Polaris) on the spot based on the fact it would fit in his truck. Didn't even know how to back it out the next day at the match, we had to help him. He was worried his wife was going to have his ass as he bought it without consulting her. So he had me take a picture with him handing him the keys and told her he won it in the RO drawing from the match!! :) I think that lasted about a month before she caught on.

Hell of a welder, great ambassador to the sport for decades and a good friend lost.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
From Kim Brice Thompson

Gary W Thompson

'Hello everyone. I just want to update everyone on the Celebration of Life being held in N.Y. It will be Saturday, June 11th at the Amber Inn from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. And again the one here in Key Largo is the week before. Saturday, June 4th at 2 p.m. If you park at the Winn Dixie M.M. 106 there will be a golf card shuttle to the house. I ask everyone to please bring your stories to share in a journal that will be at both celebrations."

A little short notice but a few of us are riding down tomorrow.