Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Long Action Ruger Precision Rifle!

Smokecloud

Ok, not yet, but for some reason, this keeps crossing my mind. Ruger has hit a homerun with their short action PRS, but now how about the rest of LR shooting world. I would pre-order one today if they offered it in 6.5x284.

If you already have the short version, would you buy the long version as a second gun? Or, if you have been holding out, would a long action PRS push you over the line and finally make you order one? What caliber would you chose.

Edited by Smokecloud

Damn you clickbait-y thread title!

I think they would sell a whole lot of those if they made long and magnum actions for it. I'm sure they will eventually, because the American is offered in short, long and magnum. That gun with a 26" tube and 300WM would be a pretty potent combo, me thinks.

I think there would be a huge market for a PRS-L version between the LR guys and the Hunting folks, and yes, a 300 WM would be a great caliber if the platform supports it. I emailed Ruger directly and threw them my pitch, maybe if enough of us did that, it would become a reality. My biggest love of that rifle setup, is the ability to change barrels, especially with the barrel burning calibers so many LR shooters love.

Honestly, the chassis is a little hinky, would need a little "robusting" improvements if your going to step it up to the magnum game. Ruger did awesome, and I love mine, but its really a cheap rifle. I'd like to see them improve the butt stock and ditch the samson forearm. Maybe use aluminum instead of plastic for the internal "dust cover" behind the bolt. Sure you can buy all that aftermarket..but the guns were like $860 wholesale when they hit the market, and the market spoke and said folks will readily pay 1200 to 1600 for them... I figure at that price point it would be worthwhile to improve.. and there is nothing fun about the buttstock shortening itself in response to recoil as your shoot which has happened to me. It especially wouldn't be fun on a magnum.

They really won with the 6.5creedmore, and making the gun compatible with existing readily available and cheap Magpul AR10 mags. Folks are finally wising up to ballistic coef and velocity instead of "well the military shoots the 308..."

My pitch other than improving the chassis is the chamberings... 300wm is a no brainer.... Make the barrel long enough for good burn time for velocity, with a fast twist for 220-240gr projectiles. But profiled to keep the gun light. Use existing AI mag profile, but maybe make an affordable "Ruger" one. But maybe go bigger.. With the growing popularity of the 338lapua, I really think Ruger would win making a slighter bigger chassis for it. Competing directly with Savage and that ugly monstrosity they put out in their chassis. Maybe consider a smaller chassis with AR magazine compatibility... a long barreled 223rem, 204ruger.... Hell maybe a shorter lighter barreled 300blk out oriented for potential suppression and subsonic rounds.

If they really wanted to take the market by storm, go all the way an make a .375cheytac for under $2500...... that would just blow my mind!

Ptg is selling a 223 case head replacement bolt and there are the ai 223 mags. I'm sure someone would spin you up a replacement barrel. Not quite AR mags, but there are options. Now I just wish my 6.5x47 barrel would get done.

Ptg is selling a 223 case head replacement bolt and there are the ai 223 mags. I'm sure someone would spin you up a replacement barrel. Not quite AR mags, but there are options. Now I just wish my 6.5x47 barrel would get done.

I didn't know that about PTG. Thank you.

If I had the option to use AR mags or AI mags in a precision 223 bolt gun, I'd choose AI mags 9/10 times. You are constricted to mag length when making ammo.

This is what my 80gr load looks like in an PMAG. It fits with no problems in the AI mags.

zo4tpqMl.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...