Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 case feeder issues

Hey guys, i'm new to dillon gear, somehow i ended up in the deep end with 3 1050s. So i've been working with the 9mm guy first and i've been having some issues.

1. The case feeder wheel sometimes winds up with a peice of brass stuck against the side of the opening that the brass is supposed to fall down through to get to the funnel
  2. occasionally i the funnel at the top gets a case in sideways and jams up. I usually don't notice it until brass starts raining on my head.
  3. the shuttle that feeds the cases into the shell plate sometimes "sticks" it's like the piece of brass in the shuttle gets hung up on the peice of brass above it, sometimes i have to lift the insert or the tube a bit, or manually push the shuttle forwards
  4. sometimes the brass hangs being inserted into the shell plate, sometimes it's not flat and goes over the shell plate, other times it catches the edge and binds up, or goes in at an angle and is half in and half out.

I think that about sums it up, so got any suggestions?

On the clear plastic funnel bolted to the case feed bowl, is the mouth rectangular or round? Be sure the case feed plunger is marked "small" for 9mm. Push down on the edge of the shellplate at station 7. If it feels springy, then the shellplate lock ring needs to be tighter.

Looks like the most up to date case feeder.

Does it happen on both low and high speed?

I've experienced a similar situation and found a dirty case feed plate would cause shells to drop sluggishly.

Dirty due to build up of case lube. Try cleaning the feed plate and see if that helps. I also anchored my case feeder to prevent excessive case feeder movement and that helped also.

Edited by yoshidaex

• 8 months later...

Anaxgoras - I am having that sticking issue also - have yet to find a fix.

I called support as I saw it within the first 500 reloads, support guy said he's never heard of the issue and couldn't help.

* I have torn apart the case feeder assembly - added a shim in to the tube funnel made from a old pop can, ( it helped a little as I was thinking that the cases were able to tilt as they dropped out of the clear tube to the case / plunger adapter ( green funnel).

* I have also noticed I wasn't having the issue at all when I had only no more than ten cases putting pressure from the top. Which means I have to constantly power ON / OFF the case feeder hopper to keep the the press fed.

I have pictures of what you are seeing too.

VIDEO Clip of it happening

Any help on this would be great!

Edited by FriedCheese

On 4/12/2016 at 4:59 PM, anaxagoras said:

Hey guys, i'm new to dillon gear, somehow i ended up in the deep end with 3 1050s. So i've been working with the 9mm guy first and i've been having some issues.

1. The case feeder wheel sometimes winds up with a peice of brass stuck against the side of the opening that the brass is supposed to fall down through to get to the funnel

I've had this happen occasionally. How fully is the case feeder with cases? Having a rock solid bench helps. 

1. occasionally i the funnel at the top gets a case in sideways and jams up. I usually don't notice it until brass starts raining on my head.

I've never had this happen with the dillon  case feeder, again a solid bench helps the fall straight down. Try running the case feeder without the press moving and see if it still jams up. 

1. the shuttle that feeds the cases into the shell plate sometimes "sticks" it's like the piece of brass in the shuttle gets hung up on the peice of brass above it, sometimes i have to lift the insert or the tube a bit, or manually push the shuttle forwards

I had this happen. Take apart the assembly that inserts cases into the shell plate, clean and re apply grease and see if that helps. 

1. sometimes the brass hangs being inserted into the shell plate, sometimes it's not flat and goes over the shell plate, other times it catches the edge and binds up, or goes in at an angle and is half in and half out.

Never had that happen. It it always the same slot on the shell plate? Maybe its bent? 

I think that about sums it up, so got any suggestions?

I would follow the suggestions to make sure that the casefeeder isn't moving around a lot while it is running.  If your bench isn't rock solid the casefeeder is going to move around and that can cause the cases to tip over and jam up as in the pictures above.