Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best scope for 3gn

HawkMoney

Hawk, welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

LOTS of good stuff has been written (posted) here at BE

recently on Best Scope.

Very personal ...

Depends in large part to what gun you're using, what distances

you're shooting at, and personal preference.

Suggest you start your search by reading up on some of these

old posts ...

Good luck - hope you win.

Thanks jack! I have read the past 20 pages on scopes. I have a good idea on what I want to get just mainly looking for a little confirmation. Also would like to know what the pros are mostly shooting and seems like 3 gun nation is a little different than some of the other big matches.

Edited by HawkMoney

Since you are specifically looking for a scope to compete in 3-Gun Nation events you should take a look at your local club's layout. The 3GN Classifier stages aren't representative of the rifle targets you may face in the rest of a 3-Gun Nation Club Series match, as they are all built around local tastes and terrains. What you see for rifle target distances on the televised Pro Series is also a lot closer than you will run across at many local matches. If all you are doing is shooting 3GN Classifier stages, you won't need an optic.

The Vortex Strike Eagle was on everyone's wish list last year. It has decent clarity and a reticle that works up close and out far for most with the right ammo. You can even pull off a night match or two with the illuminated reticle. If the shine has worn off the Strike Eagle for someone, you might be able to pick theirs up cheap and spend the rest on building good familiarity with the holdover points and how they translate to your rifle and ammo. The only way you can buy wins is with ammo. Shoot a bunch of it, get good and win.

Thank you for all the advice so far. Some of the guys i shoot with use the bushnell mil dot reticle. I'm leaning toward the vortex razor JM-1 reticle. I was looking into the vortex with the mrad but it seems like no one uses that one. Any thoughts?

I have a Razor HD and a Strike Eagle. There is a difference between the two but I feel the Strike Eagle is a hard value to beat.

If you want to win, I'd say get the Strike Eagle, three cases of ammo, Strelok Pro, and learn how to get first round hits out to 400 - 600 yards.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone. I did shoot the primary arms 1-6 last year and I thought it was great until I looked through my buddies bushnell and it ruined me. Definitely looking to upgrade. Any insight on the mil dot reticle vs a bdc?

I've got the Vortex Razor with the JM-1 reticle and I think it's excellent. Supremely clear glass, easy operation, and easy to read. I've heard great thing about the Leupold too but I've not used it. I heartily recommend the Vortex.

I'm using an IOR 1.5-8x26 with a 5.56 BDC reticle. It's big (35mm tube), it's heavy, and it's 2nd focal plane, but the glass is great and I love it.

Has anybody tried the SWFA 1-6x24HD? The reticle in the first focal plane really intrigues me.

What scope and what reticle? I want to win.. My budget is $1400

Right here Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. FFP great glass, great illumination. 1299.99

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-1-8x24-front-focal-plane-scope-with-advanced-cqb-mil-reticle/p/kt-pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil/

I am using this instead of my Swaro and Vortex now.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Right here Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. FFP great glass, great illumination. 1299.99

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-1-8x24-front-focal-plane-scope-with-advanced-cqb-mil-reticle/p/kt-pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil/

Pat

Wow, how do you like the mil reticle compaired to the bdc on the vortex and 1st focal plane to the 2nd? That's an option i haven't even considered yet.

Bushnell 1-6.5 Elite Tactical BTR-2 Rectical. $1200 + mount $150 = $1350

Not this. Have seen them new for $650 maybe at that price, but not anywhere near $1200 compared to these others.

Pat

Wow, how do you like the mil reticle compaired to the bdc on the vortex and 1st focal plane to the 2nd? That's an option i haven't even considered yet.

I like mils better but you can get it with a BDC as well. I like the FFP in this scope because the reticle turns into a easy to use circle on low power and on higher magnifications you can see all the details and your hold offs work no matter what power your on.

Here is a link to the BDC version. http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-1-8x24-front-focal-plane-scope-with-acss-556-545-308-reticle-pa1-8x24ffp-acss/p/kt-pa1-8x24ffp-acss/

Here is a review thread I started http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221129&hl=

Edited by Alaskapopo