Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 gen 4 guide rod

racingjoe27

Ok, I'm fairly new to glocks so I need some help. I feel like a newb for asking this...

I'm looking for an uncaptured guide rod that uses round wire springs. This will be for a g34 gen 4 in production.

Either I'm looking right at one and don't know it or I can't find one at all

Thanks in advance

Jager Products now sells a .270 diameter heavy Gen 4 captured guide rod that uses Wolff round wire springs. It is heavier, but your 34 will still make weight for production. I assume it would also allow you to use other round wire block springs like the Zev, etc.. I have used both Wolff and Zev in my Gen 3 G34. Billy Lester has made this guide rod for Gen 3 for years, but has just come out with the Gen 4 model. I have never had an issue with the Jager guide rods. Here is a link: http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=111

I agree with Whitefish.
Billy Lester at jager products hooked me up with his steel Gen4 conversion to Gen 3 guide rod for my Gen4 G34.
I run a 13lb IMSI spring on it.
Love it.

FYI: The New heavier guide rod with a Wolf spring that Whitefish mentions is something Jager just recently came out with. I have heard good things about it.

whitefish- the picture on Jager's website shows a flatwire spring and the description says it allows the use of stock gen 3 springs or ISMI springs even though the details say Wolff springs in bold. Also, its captured. I'm looking for an uncaptured. Can I run it without the retainer and therefore making it uncaptured?

Is there an adapter for gen 3 "heavy" guide rods?

Jager Products now sells a .270 diameter heavy Gen 4 captured guide rod that uses Wolff round wire springs. It is heavier, but your 34 will still make weight for production. I assume it would also allow you to use other round wire block springs like the Zev, etc.. I have used both Wolff and Zev in my Gen 3 G34. Billy Lester has made this guide rod for Gen 3 for years, but has just come out with the Gen 4 model. I have never had an issue with the Jager guide rods. Here is a link: http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=111

He's looking for uncaptured. That link is for captured. Doesn't look like they have a heavy gen 4 uncaptured.

You can run it uncaptured, but there really isn't much advantage unless you are testing spring weights. You will still have the adapter and it will be loose if you run uncaptured.

For the Gen3 models the Heavy Extended that only used the wolf springs was extended another inch or so out and was uncaptured, I don't believe he has made this combo for the Gen4 yet.

whitefish- the picture on Jager's website shows a flatwire spring and the description says it allows the use of stock gen 3 springs or ISMI springs even though the details say Wolff springs in bold. Also, its captured. I'm looking for an uncaptured. Can I run it without the retainer and therefore making it uncaptured?

Is there an adapter for gen 3 "heavy" guide rods?

I'm guessing it is new enough that Billy hasn't fully updated the photos or fully vetted the text. You could run it without the retainer screw, but it would likely be loose. Spring tension would likely hold it in securely enough, but unless you are going to be swapping spring weights, there should not be a need. Zev, Carver, and a few others make an adapter plate for uncaptured guide rods that just press fits into the end of the slide. I have used one with an uncaptured Wolff steel guide rod and round wire spring in a Gen 4, but I am not exactly sure of the Wolff guide rod diameter. My best guess is that it is very nearly the same diameter as the Jager since Wolff springs work with both. The adapter plate is not very expensive - $10 or $11, I believe. Shoot Billy Lester and e-mail and ask. He is generally very prompt in his replies if he is around.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? All of the adapters I've seen are for standard diameter guide rods which don't use the roundwire springs.

The guide rods that use the round wire springs are larger diameter and therefore the adapters will not work for those guide rods.

You will still need an adapter. The Jager adapter for that round wire spring rod will just have a larger hole for the larger rod. It will come with a set screw so it's all captured. you can run it uncaptured without the set screw if you choose.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? All of the adapters I've seen are for standard diameter guide rods which don't use the roundwire springs.

The guide rods that use the round wire springs are larger diameter and therefore the adapters will not work for those guide rods.

All I can tell you is that I used a Zev adapter plate with a Wolff steel guide rod and Wolff round wire spring without any issues. The hole in the plate was plenty big enough for the larger Wolff guide rod.

Forgot to add that I am not sure if the diameter of the heavy Jäger rod and the Wolff are exactly the same, but they should be close. Using the Jäger rod and Jäger adapter would eliminate any issue with that since they come as a unit.

I called jäger and talked to someone on the phone. He said I can run the gen 4 heavy captured rod without the retaining screw thereby making it uncaptured And accomplishing what I want.

He said it's never a good idea to run a gen 3 rod with an adapter because the barrel end of the rod is a different diameter from gen to gen

Taran Butler has a stainless steel heavy uncaptured guide rod. It uses wolf round wire springs. On his website he also says he is developing a flat wire that will also fit. I have one and it adds 1 ounce of weight to a 34. I'm running his base pads on my mags and the total weight of my 34 is 27.6 ounces.

Benefits are if you change springs a lot you don't have to mess with taking apart. The screw that holds the setup together sometimes comes loose or get buggered up using pliers or whatever tool to take apart. If your going captured try BT guide rods his setup will not come loose but you need his tool to take apart.

Taran Butler has a stainless steel heavy uncaptured guide rod. It uses wolf round wire springs. On his website he also says he is developing a flat wire that will also fit. I have one and it adds 1 ounce of weight to a 34. I'm running his base pads on my mags and the total weight of my 34 is 27.6 ounces.

How do you like the TTI guide rod with the round wire springs compared to others? Also what sights are you running with those parts to have the 27.6 weight?

I don't notice any significant difference between round or flat. Whe glocks first came out they used uncaptured round wire springs. Plus he is supposed to be making flat wire springs for his rod. My 34 is basically stock, with Tarans mag base pads and his guide rod I in at 27.6 ounces. That's legal weight for production.