Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing Powder..?

IGOTGLOCKED

I searched for this and did not see it, and I trust this is the correct forum to ask this...

I'm currently reloading out of a one pound bottle of Titegroup. I just bought a larger bottle and need to know if it is ok to mix the two bottles as I begin using up the smaller bottle? I like to keep my hopper full as it seems to contribute to more consistent powder drops.

Thanks from IGG

This is the reason to buy 8lb jugs. Lot number variation is real. If you're loading minor or mouse farts, not a big deal. But hot loads and all major loads should be re-chrono'd when changing lots.

why never?

Is there some safety consideration?

Never mix powders. Transitioning to a new lot # should be no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never mix different powders.

If there is a chance the formula has changed, I can see the point, but most popular powders don't change. I would not recommend mixing powder you bought 30 years ago with the new stuff, but modern wst with modern wst=go for it

Plus add mentioned above, you are only mixing an Oz or two with 8lbs odd new powder

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

why never?

Is there some safety consideration?

Never mix powders. Transitioning to a new lot # should be no problem.

Just to clarify, the powders I am questioning being safe to mix are both Titegroup but different lot numbers. I had previouly bought a few one pound bottles and have used about half of the last one. I found an 8 pound jug on sale and am concerned about how safe it is to mix TG & TG just different lots.

I spoke to Hogdon and they say never to mix different lot numbers of the same powder. FYI, I confirmed their recipe has not changed however their basis for quality checking new lots allows a 3% varience factor... It's not a big deal to me, if I don't have to watste it I'd prefer to not do so howver by the time I use the last bottle down to where I'd consider mixing it there wouldn't be but a few dollars left anyway and can just burn it... Was just interested in what teh general practice was. This issue must be a question to more than me..?Thanks for all the input!

Cheers!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

Dumping half a pound (8 ounces) into eight pounds (128 ounces) is a 6% change. I wouldn't do that.

But dumping your last ounce of a can into an eight pound jug and mixing it up (be careful of building static) is less than a 1% difference. No big deal.

What I said before about re-chronoing hot/major loads when changing lot numbers still applies though, regardless of whether you're mixing powder or not.

Dumping half a pound (8 ounces) into eight pounds (128 ounces) is a 6% change. I wouldn't do that.

But dumping your last ounce of a can into an eight pound jug and mixing it up (be careful of building static) is less than a 1% difference. No big deal.

What I said before about re-chronoing hot/major loads when changing lot numbers still applies though, regardless of whether you're mixing powder or not.

Agreed, I plan on waiting until the level in the hopper is so low it begins to effect a consistent powder drop which I'm expecting to be about an empty hopper by then...

Think of it this way, if you change lot#s and keep the load the same, then shoot it, you are potentially running slightly hotter or slightly lower pressure. Is your existing load close enough to the high end where this concerns you?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

With titegroup, you are nowhere near a max load by all likely odds.

Personally I'd run the hopper nearly dry and then take the tiny bit that's left (get down to about 1 cup of powder) and dump it into the new 8lb jug, screw the lid on tight, and shake it to mix it very well.

Refill the powder measure, change no settings on your machine, and swap out the container you're dropping your rounds into.

Chorono the new Vs. old ammo as soon as possible. Titegroup is damn stable from lot to lot. I'd feel pretty comfortable just doing that.

If TG is good for 140 power factor in your bullet weight at max and you're loading 130pf and .3-.8 grains under the max, I wouldn't worry too much about safety. Personally, of course.

My personal pet powder, Solo1000, was another situation entirely. Charge weights for 130pf varied by 0.5 grains or so from lot to lot! In that case I was starting at min and working back up for every new 8lb jug.

If my load is anywhere above midrange in the book, I'll likewise start over at minimum and refrain from shooting any of the new batch until I can run it over a chrono.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I've just poured it together before, and noticed no difference in chrono results.

This. Back when I bought 1 pounders id mix the last of one bottle with the next bottle. I chrono'd after each new bottle and not experienced any deviation at the chrono.

TG is not one of the powders I've heard stories of inconsistencies between lot numbers so you'll probably be fine. Jus so you know my Dillon powder hopper is good for consistent charges until the last two.

That is good to hear. At a point a month or so ago I was getting inconsistent powder drops and one of the recommendations was to keep the hopper full. Consequently this is really what aparked my question regarding the mixing. At a point not long from now I will have no more powder in the 1 pound bottle to keep the hopper topped off and have to beging using powder from the 8 lb bottle. If keeping the hopper full or not has no effect then this is not an issue..?

I've just poured it together before, and noticed no difference in chrono results.

This. Back when I bought 1 pounders id mix the last of one bottle with the next bottle. I chrono'd after each new bottle and not experienced any deviation at the chrono.

And I'm only loading 3.2 gr...

Hopper from full to half full should be fine. Do your own testing to see at what fill level you start getting inconsistent drops (it'll be different for each powder type).

I was pretty unhappy with the Dillon powder measure so I switched to the Lee measure with adjustable charge bar. Much better consistency, all the way from 100% full down to 1/8th full, especially with big flake powders that the Dillon wasn't doing well with. Case activated, no powder spilling, no return bar to fool with, takes up less space, these are just a few of the benefits of switching.

The shopping list for anyone looking to convert (about $70 for everything):

Measure: http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-powder-measure.html(more consistent than the Pro model)

Charge bar: http://leeprecision.com/adj-charge-bar.html

Riser: http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-riser.html

Powder die: http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/powder-thru-expanding-die-only/(if you don't already use Lee dies)

I mix them all the time, there could be still 30% in the hopper, I pour new lot in it, never noticed any difference worth worrying about it. With my large volume loads I have gone through many lots changes, without weight adjustments, and the chrono results are close enough to not worry about the differences.

No recommendation, just personal observations.

Edited by Foxbat

I mix them all the time, there could be still 30% in the hopper, I pour new lot in it, never noticed any difference worth worrying about it. With my large volume loads I have gone through many lots changes, without weight adjustments, and the chrono results are close enough to not worry about the differences.

No recommendation, just personal observations.

Thanks Fb, I'm just about at a point I either have to mix or abort! I appreciate the confirmation.

Cheers!