Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First match (ever), first stage... 2nd person shooting

johnbu

So our first stage was El Presidente. I practiced it at home, felt pretty confident. They call me as 2nd shooter, by the time I dump my coat (28f temps) the first shooter is done.

I practice a turn, the RO wants me to turn the other dxn. In case i pull too soon as a newbee. I see his wisdom and do it that way. Maybe that had an impact, maybe not. Won't lay blame there. But the second the beep goes off, my mind goes blank and I spin, point and pull the trigger. When the smoke clears, I'm thinking....I NEVER SAW THE SIGHTS! Crap. Not only was it slow, there were 4 M's.

Next stage.... I'm 1st shooter. Oh great.... shoot it great. 15A, 1C two strings second one 5.4s, the other....they forgot to record it. Crap. Scroll back showed 5.27, but I had to reshoot. Didn't step out to recenter.... had "issues". First run would have been a mid 7 HF, second run, 2.8 HF. Again, realization hits....Didn't see the sights. First run, I mentally called the shots, then....blank!

If it was hunting, I say it was a bad case of "buck fever".

Edited by johnbu

The Ro should have moved you down the order. I never make a new shooter go first , not till

he has a few stages under his belt.

I asked, he declined.

Probably wouldn't have mattered,

I think many of us have been there. I've gone entire matches without getting a decent sight picture.... Everything will start to slow down after you get another match or two under your belt.

Just try to remember to shoot only as fast as your sights will allow and everything should go much better in the future.

that's crap that not only didn't they make you go last, they didn't even let you go last when you asked. I have never seen that request not gladly and graciously honored.

yep, done some stages where I never saw the sights, gets better with some stages under your belt.

newbie today dq'd while clearing a malf, so you have him beat!

that's crap that not only didn't they make you go last, they didn't even let you go last when you asked. I have never seen that request not gladly and graciously honored.

yep, done some stages where I never saw the sights, gets better with some stages under your belt.

newbie today dq'd while clearing a malf, so you have him beat!

That was one goal i made... no DQ! The scores posted...ouch. that first stage resulted in ZERO points. At least I have little fear of doing worse next time. Now I'm not sure if I made it up to D classs.

Asking to be moved down in the order if you are a new shooter is quite reasonable.

Perhaps the RO didn't understand your situation.

As soon as you start worrying/talking about classification though, it's time to nut up.

I think the technology was hampering their ability to move the order. They had a tablet, not paper to record the info. But the RO did his job well (keeping everyone safe), I don't blame them AT ALL. I'm the one going brain dead when the beep sounded!

The thing with the tablet is, that you can really go in whatever order you wish. You just need to touch the name of the shooter you want to score. So unless this person is newer at technology than you are at shooting (in which case they shouldn't be running scoring), they should be able to handle that request.

Next time, after you ask to be moved and it is declined, when the question "Are you ready?" is asked, say "NO"...Say "NO" on multiple times if needed. Probably after 3-4 times, he will move you to the back of the shooting order. If the RO still balks at moving you, ask for another RO.

Next time, after you ask to be moved and it is declined, when the question "Are you ready?" is asked, say "NO"...Say "NO" on multiple times if needed. Probably after 3-4 times, he will move you to the back of the shooting order. If the RO still balks at moving you, ask for another RO.

Didn't know you could do that...

I wouldn't do that unless you are trying to get people pissed off at you. Even if it's legal to do, people will get frustrated especially at local matches.

I wouldn't do that unless you are trying to get people pissed off at you. Even if it's legal to do, people will get frustrated especially at local matches.

I seriously doubt anyone would be pissed at the shooter once it was explained to them. Quite the opposite I'm sure...I believe they would be pissed at the RO for being difficult. As for locals being "frustrated", with the RO being difficult, there is already one frustrated shooter that we should be encouraging to continue the sport, not making it more difficult for them to compete.

Ok, how's this. First match in 30 years. Thought I was ready but knew it would be slow. Practiced mag changes but didn't think about changing with retention in IDPA. Let a mag with ammo fall on the ground with a round in it on a tactical reload. Left it there. Then I found out that a mag I was using was bad and had a double feed on an Officer's ACP (Shooting CCP). Did I react immediately, no. Just stared at it for a couple of seconds. Duh!

Then on to another stage. Picked up speed, good shots, FTE. Stared at it for a couple of seconds. Double Duh!

Didn't end up at the bottom but not far from it.

Moral of the story: practice and check your equipment. Better than Duh!

I seriously doubt anyone would be pissed at the shooter once it was explained to them. Quite the opposite I'm sure...I believe they would be pissed at the RO for being difficult.

Me either, especially when the new shooter starts facing up-range second up on the first stage he's ever shot in competition?

I'd vote he see a few shooters go before hes up.....its a safety thing.

And to the OP.......I been at this game a couple years, relative newbie. The mind going blank at the beep wont disappear soon. I still have my stages where all plans go out the window. Wait till you get your first Malf. or miss a mag reload.

That's when the fun begins.

And remember we've all been the newbie. Be safe, shoot at your skill level and speed and accuracy will come.

No pressure.

Thanks. Just sucks forgetting everything worked on over winter.

did you work any drills in match mode? where you ignore the timer and just let your sights dictate the pace of your shooting?

I have been doing that sort of thing for 5-6 mins at the end of every dryfire session (mixing in no shoots and steel and various stuff), and it seems to help me in doing that at the match instead of spraying bullets around like I'm trying for personal speed records.

I don't remember seeing my sights in my first couple of stages. By the end of my second match, I was able to simmer down and pay better attention to them.

Edited by Delta66

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

100% Agree. But next match do be sure to avoid the squad with him on it. Most ROs are good but there are some bad ones out there.