Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magwell or trigger job?

Dhudgins525

I have a little extra money to spend and can't decide if a PRP extreme trigger kit would benefit more for speed and accuracy or if a magwell for faster mag changes would be more beneficial. I shoot idpa most of the time and know that both of these mods put me in ESP but I'd like some input from the more experienced guys

The XD mags are tapered at the top enough that amagwell isn't really needed... I would think the trigger job would give more bang for the buck but I don't know what they charge. When I set up my XD, I bought the Springer sear and trigger bar and did my own trigger. Turned out pretty well.

I normally shoot a 2011 now, but use an XDM for 3 gun, get the trigger done for sure. You can now order the trigger kits and put it in your self. It was a very easy install and worth the money. By doing it yourself you can afford a magwell, but you will need some new basepads. For IDPA I'm not so sure it would help you that much.

PRP's are great, and an easier install than Springer, but they will put you in ESP because of the visible over travel stop. Springers will not. If you go PRP, or Springer, be sure to do the "freezer test".

You don't need a magwell.

JD

Edited by jdlincoln

Recommend using a file to get the trigger operational, and sand paper to work the final bit to get you 100% reliable. Take it slow with the file, and once you switch to sandpaper ensure you apply downward pressure to the top of the slide during a function check. The trigger parts may require polishing, but be carefull not to remove too much material. Have been able to get my PRP trigger down to -2lbs with re-contouring and stoning (with stock firing pin spring).

On a side-note, Xdm's with PRP parts are the closest I've found to a 1911 break (own glocks w/zev triggers, M&P' w/apex upgrades, and XDMs).

8.2.2.2.11 Aftermarket triggers and trigger work that result in the trigger being forward or rearward

from the stock trigger position.

8.2.2.2.12 Externally visible trigger over travel stops.

I recall the Springer overtravel adjust is internal. I think it's a pad on the trigger bar you file to adjust. I don't think there any changes that are externally visible. The trigger position did not move on mine.

Edited by bountyhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I believe PRP's trigger should not put you in ESP because this trigger is a Springfield Armory OEM part.  From the PRP website:  This trigger is a Springfield Armory OEM part available on production XD and XDM pistols from the factory (see APPENDIX D4 — 21.6 Production Division Rules).

• 2 weeks later...