Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your turn to shoot but your plan is not ready

ddc

A couple of matches ago I encountered a stage that, for my mind at least, was difficult to figure out.

Even after the walk through and watching other shooters I still had not finalized my plan when it was my turn to shoot.

The results were therefore less than stellar including totally missing a target.

If you found yourself in that situation what would you have done?

Dittos. I'd have done exactly what you did and try to do better next time. You might even continue looking things over while pasting and resetting steel; paying particular attention to where you're having problems.

Edited by BrianKr

Shoot when called and take my lumps, and have a plan to be better prepared for the next match

Not much choice - all you can do is shoot ...

I've been there a couple of times - not a good feeling, but it's the only option.

And, try not to do it again. :cheers:

If you know where you're at in the shooting order prior to the walk through make a plan that you can memorize and visualize 20 times before you shoot.

If you're the first shooter on a complex stage, find ALL the targets, figure out where you have to go in order to engage all the targets and then just pick a sequence. Then start visualizing it as many times as possible before you're up. I always pick an easy plan that I can execute aggressively. Adding complexity is a gamble that will probably not help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm convinced the best answer is to arrive as early as possible. Doing the air gun dance with 10 other shooters stepping on your toes is not productive. The one time I was not able to walk every stage alone (car troubles had me late to a match) I had a terrible match. Partly because I couldn't plan on my own time and partly because jogging from stage to stage before the match seems to be an important part of my mental and physical warm up. If arriving early isn't an option hopefully you can find stage diagrams online and memorize target counts and possibly form rough stage plans.

All good feedback, thanks.

Yeah, I am learning that I need to get there early enough to get a firm plan for each stage prior to the match start. The walk through is just for final visualization and memory implanting.

Try to remember where the targets are and pick one way, whether it is ideal or not.

One of the more interesting stages that I have been trough was a Finnish IPSC-style contest for military reservists. They had managed to set up a stage along a woodland trail so that you couldn't see any targets from the starting point. No walkthrough allowed: follow the trail and shoot all the targets you can find... The kind of targets to look for was specified. I recall there were USPSA style paper targets and a few poppers.

Edited by perttime

• 1 year later...

I always try and get to the range about 30 mins early so that I can get a quick walk through the stages before others show up. It's not much time but it will at least give you an idea of the stages and possibly how to come up with a good plan of attack. 

i  like  to land  at the  match earlier   so  i  can  look at the  stages  and  also  at  how  the best shooters  approach  the different  stages.  if  i can, i'm there  to  help  for  the  set up.

but even if  i  have  a plan  for  a  given stage, sometimes  my  focus isn't high enough so  i  do  something that  wasn't  in the plan  .  being efficient  at  reading a  stage   requires practice.  that means  attending as many   match  as  possible 

Edited by sigsauerfan

in handgun? I am never ready! I just look at it differently I suppose.

3 gun? always ready

sniper comps? plan? check!

sporting clays? im about to perform surgery!

uspsa/idpa? staring at trees when my name is called...

I also do the same thing in powerlifting..i never focus, or even think about it until my name is called and they rip me out of a daydream

the bench

Edited by benchmstr
needed more meat

Pick the simplest possible stage plan. No no, I mean the simplest. Even if you have to leave a port, shoot something, then run right back to that port or past it... do it.

Pick the insanely slow path through the stage that makes execution half as challenging. Do that.

Then go back to being smart about things in the next bay.

Edited by MemphisMechanic