Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris XTR II 1-8 or Vortex Razor HD II 1-6

Longshot83

Nice right up!  I am really excited about this scope.  If and it's a big if.... the glass is as crystal clear as my Vortex 1-6 I will be buying one.  Not convinced I want the mil/mil FFP for 3 Gun as the BDC on the Vortex is just too intuitive.  Can't wait to see one in person!  Thanks again

T

Edited by Tattoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2017 at 1:36 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

If you're considering a FFP scope, Trijicon just released their 1-8 Accupower and from what I hear from my local shop, they are FLYING off the shelves for very good reason. I absolutely love mine as it checks all the boxes I had on my list. Very clear glass with a true 1x which my eye cannot distinguish distortion even at the very edge of the tube. The segmented circle reticle is very nice at 1x with brightness settings that truly go to "11." I have used this in the bright Texas sun. The first focal plane reticle on 8x is very nice as well. The reticle lines are thin while still being quickly usable and do not obscure realistic sized 3 gun targets by any means. As was previously mentioned, holds only really become usable at ~4-5x for 1-n variable power scopes and the Trijicon is no different. However, I'm fine with this because that's still more range of accurate holds than a SFP scope. I can think of a few stages in recent memory that had Skinny Sammies at ~100-150 yards with larger targets at 200-400 yards where I didn't necessarily need 8x or even 6x magnification for the long shots, but I did need the field of view to quickly pick up the Sammies. 

The weight of the Trijicon is on the higher end but it is still just slightly less than the Vortex 1-6 even though the Trijicon uses a 34 mm tube. You could bludgeon someone to death with the Trijicon. The construction is definitely Trijicon solid including the turrets are locking and feel ridiculously solid. The larger tube also gives me some wiggle room in my head position on 8x when some evil match director gives me a really, really bad shooting position. I'm sold on this scope so much so that I'll be buying a 2nd one soon because at the price these are selling for I can buy 2. 

I've used, owned or borrowed several other scopes including a Kahles k16i (my 2nd favorite now), Vortex HDii 1-6, Burris XTRII 1-5 and a Leupold VX6 1-6. The Kahles is obviously top of the line. Is the glass better than the Trijicon 1-8? Maybe? I can't tell any significant difference but someone with more experience than I have said he could see maybe a slight (2-5% out of 100%) difference. They are two different scopes and someone might prefer the SFP reticle of the Kahles and be willing to pay $500 more for those differences. I'll be buying another Trijicon. As for the Vortex, the GenII HD has obviously been a huge percent of the 3 gun market for good reason. I think the Trijicon will take over that spot simply because for a nearly identical price, you get clearer glass with higher magnification in a better package. I initially loved the Burris but have since shied away from the XTRII 1-5. Maybe the 1-8 will address some of the shortcomings of the 1-5, specifically the reticle size and glass clarity.

I'll be buying a 2nd Trijicon. 

I'm looking into the Trijicon 1-8 and am wondering what the weight difference is between this and the Vortex Razor HDii(?). 

On 2/8/2017 at 11:43 PM, adamriser said:

After doing this to my Razor and not even losing zero, I'm sticking with Vortex...

Am I missing something? The only thing that the scope had to endure was being dropped in grass.

The Trijicon is 25 oz, vortex is 25.2 oz. I'm still very impressed with my Trijicon. I'm probably going to put a 2nd on my backup/loaner rifle.  

I know you stated something to the effect of using the illumination in the Texas sun......but I wanted to get clarification if it is indeed daylight bright as I've read conflicting reports on the matter.

I've got a Razor 1-6 JM, a MK6 and a Burris XTRII 1-8.  I have not played with the XTR 1-8 very much.  Its a lot of scope for the money and there is a lot of scope in that scope, the thing is heavier than the Vortex.  I like the MK6 reticle the best, I like the FFP reticle, but don't like the .2mrad adjustments, I like the Vortex adjustments, warranty and ease of use the best.  I would rather have 1-8 v.s 1-6n but in practical terms, there are few times that 8x is really needed or of a benefit over 6x and I'm not sure if the extra weight it worth it.   Did I mention the XTRII is real heavy...  The eyebox is less forgiving in the XTRII.  I have used and continue to use the rifle with the Vortex razor on it the most.   

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Burris XTR II scope line. I have a nee 1-5x for sale only because I decided to go with a lighter setup. SWFA has a DFP Burris 1-8x on their site but I don't see the model in the Burris catalog but if it comes out that would offer daylight bright FFP 1-8x scope.

Vortex is realeasing a new 1-8 at the NRA convention soon, not sure if it will have a FFP option or not but there is a leaked reticle pic that is out there.

9 hours ago, toeheadAR said:

I really like the Burris XTR II scope line. I have a nee 1-5x for sale only because I decided to go with a lighter setup. SWFA has a DFP Burris 1-8x on their site but I don't see the model in the Burris catalog but if it comes out that would offer daylight bright FFP 1-8x scope.

Vortex is realeasing a new 1-8 at the NRA convention soon, not sure if it will have a FFP option or not but there is a leaked reticle pic that is out there.

Any links to information about the new Vortex?

10 hours ago, toeheadAR said:

It's actually for the Strike Eagle not the Razor....

This past year I took and intermediate scoped rifle class.  I used my 3 gun rifle and engaged targets at 500+ yards with the little 223.  At the end of the course they had a chicken shoot.  The target was a centerfire chicken silhouette.  On 6 power I could easily see the chicken and I hit it on my second attempt at 517 yards with the 69 grain pills I was shooting.  I was prone on a mat, with a bi-pod and rear bag.  I'm not saying this to brag, I really think that it is a capable thing for most people with a little understanding of basic rifle skills.  The point of the post is that I could ID a chicken size target at 500 + yards with a 6X optic.  There is no need to think that you can't hit a LaRue target or some other reasonably sized piece of steel at that distance with a 6X and an 8X will make you a shooter all of a sudden. 

Bluntly most 8X optics are very heavy indeed and the field of view is tighter and the eye box more critical.  Now having said the above if anyone has a Swarovski 1-8 that they would like me to evaluate over the next couple of years and want to send me one, I probably would be willing to give it a go. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 7:40 PM, dauntedfuture said:

I've got a Razor 1-6 JM, a MK6 and a Burris XTRII 1-8.  I have not played with the XTR 1-8 very much.  Its a lot of scope for the money and there is a lot of scope in that scope, the thing is heavier than the Vortex.  I like the MK6 reticle the best, I like the FFP reticle, but don't like the .2mrad adjustments, I like the Vortex adjustments, warranty and ease of use the best.  I would rather have 1-8 v.s 1-6n but in practical terms, there are few times that 8x is really needed or of a benefit over 6x and I'm not sure if the extra weight it worth it.   Did I mention the XTRII is real heavy...  The eyebox is less forgiving in the XTRII.  I have used and continue to use the rifle with the Vortex razor on it the most.   

The Razor HD Gen II 1-6 is 25.2 oz.  The Burris XTRII 1-8 is 24.4 oz.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:36 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

If you're considering a FFP scope, Trijicon just released their 1-8 Accupower and from what I hear from my local shop, they are FLYING off the shelves for very good reason. I absolutely love mine as it checks all the boxes I had on my list. Very clear glass with a true 1x which my eye cannot distinguish distortion even at the very edge of the tube. The segmented circle reticle is very nice at 1x with brightness settings that truly go to "11." I have used this in the bright Texas sun. The first focal plane reticle on 8x is very nice as well. The reticle lines are thin while still being quickly usable and do not obscure realistic sized 3 gun targets by any means. As was previously mentioned, holds only really become usable at ~4-5x for 1-n variable power scopes and the Trijicon is no different. However, I'm fine with this because that's still more range of accurate holds than a SFP scope. I can think of a few stages in recent memory that had Skinny Sammies at ~100-150 yards with larger targets at 200-400 yards where I didn't necessarily need 8x or even 6x magnification for the long shots, but I did need the field of view to quickly pick up the Sammies. 

The weight of the Trijicon is on the higher end but it is still just slightly less than the Vortex 1-6 even though the Trijicon uses a 34 mm tube. You could bludgeon someone to death with the Trijicon. The construction is definitely Trijicon solid including the turrets are locking and feel ridiculously solid. The larger tube also gives me some wiggle room in my head position on 8x when some evil match director gives me a really, really bad shooting position. I'm sold on this scope so much so that I'll be buying a 2nd one soon because at the price these are selling for I can buy 2. 

I've used, owned or borrowed several other scopes including a Kahles k16i (my 2nd favorite now), Vortex HDii 1-6, Burris XTRII 1-5 and a Leupold VX6 1-6. The Kahles is obviously top of the line. Is the glass better than the Trijicon 1-8? Maybe? I can't tell any significant difference but someone with more experience than I have said he could see maybe a slight (2-5% out of 100%) difference. They are two different scopes and someone might prefer the SFP reticle of the Kahles and be willing to pay $500 more for those differences. I'll be buying another Trijicon. As for the Vortex, the GenII HD has obviously been a huge percent of the 3 gun market for good reason. I think the Trijicon will take over that spot simply because for a nearly identical price, you get clearer glass with higher magnification in a better package. I initially loved the Burris but have since shied away from the XTRII 1-5. Maybe the 1-8 will address some of the shortcomings of the 1-5, specifically the reticle size and glass clarity.

I'll be buying a 2nd Trijicon. 

The issue I have with Trijicon accupoint is the illumination is weak and washes on bright days. At least the ones I have looked through. 

Razor HD. Both are good, but the glass on the razor is superior to the Burris.  The eye relief is also better in my opinion on the razor.   Not sure what your shooting but in 3 gun a 1-6 is more than enough for any target I've ever shot.  

2 hours ago, Jts2581 said:

Razor HD. Both are good, but the glass on the razor is superior to the Burris.  The eye relief is also better in my opinion on the razor.   Not sure what your shooting but in 3 gun a 1-6 is more than enough for any target I've ever shot.  

Your right but I remember the old timers telling me the same thing when I got one of the first Swaro 1-6 scopes and they were using 1-4's. Just because you have the power does not mean you need to use it and the sport is evolving. A friend of mine and I are thinking about doing a 2 gun match where the biggest targets are 4MOA and it will be for open rifles and limited pistols. 

1 hour ago, Alaskapopo said:

Your right but I remember the old timers telling me the same thing when I got one of the first Swaro 1-6 scopes and they were using 1-4's. Just because you have the power does not mean you need to use it and the sport is evolving. A friend of mine and I are thinking about doing a 2 gun match where the biggest targets are 4MOA and it will be for open rifles and limited pistols. 

I def see he advantages of having a 8x scope.  But the clearity of glass to me is a bit more impt than an extra 2x.  4 MOA won't give you any issues with a 6x optic. Maybe see if you can find someone with either of the 2 scopes to see what ya like. I know they arnt cheap.  

1 hour ago, Jts2581 said:

I def see he advantages of having a 8x scope.  But the clearity of glass to me is a bit more impt than an extra 2x.  4 MOA won't give you any issues with a 6x optic. Maybe see if you can find someone with either of the 2 scopes to see what ya like. I know they arnt cheap.  

I totally agree on the clarity issue. There are scopes where you can get both. I love my PA 1-8's super clear and I also have a new Swarovski 1-8 and its super clear and light.

6 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

I totally agree on the clarity issue. There are scopes where you can get both. I love my PA 1-8's super clear and I also have a new Swarovski 1-8 and its super clear and light.

Yeah the Swarovski 1-8 is crystal clear