Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need elbow tendinitis support/brace/strap

corey4

Corey, that's great that you have no symptoms. Just reminding you that you should really continue with PT type exercises. And if you haven't started, you should start immediately. While you currently aren't in pain, the underlying issue is still there. If left unmanaged, tendinitis turns into tendinosis, which becomes chronic and often sticks around for life. My brother has untreatable elbow tendinosis in both elbows. Some days, picking up a coffee mug is literally impossible for him. Sucks big time. He's 30 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem is I do the exercises and it starts getting a little better so I stop doing them and it comes back.  Got to keep with it!  Ive gotten the most relief doing the exercises from the video.  The Thera band hurts like hell doing it but I never saw any relief.  

• 3 weeks later...

Have been battling tennis elbow for about 9 months now.  Have been getting PT and the therapist has me doing these exercises.  They seem to help.  The pain took about 6 months to go away completely.  It does get sore after a day of shooting and I have to stretch before and after shooting now to keep it under control

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/2955555982500860/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Having the same issues.  Was about to let it rest which is apparently not the right thing to do.  Seems like a common problem and several shooters have used this guy:

https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

Just youtube absolute PT shooters elbow.  Crazy thing is 2 of the exercises I already do weekly, which i was going to rest which is the wrong move.  Only thing different here is he does 15 reps vs I usually shoot for 8-10.  The wrist curls I used to do years ago but havent in a while.  I will now do them when I do my normal biceps and back days.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. physical therapist and a shooter here.

What we need to start with is that the diagnosis of tendonitis is not completely correct for the pain in the elbow, inside or out. Also, tendonitis is not what the earlier poster stated, tendons tearing away from bones. It is simply inflammation of a tendon. The problem is that many people with elbow pain actually do not suffer from inflammation and will not respond to anti-inflammatories.

Rather, we now call it "epicodylalgia" which means pain at the epicondyle which is the bump of bone your flexor or extensor muscle groups attach to. The first fun fact is that this condition is self-limiting, meaning that it will eventually get better over time regardless of what you do. All the treatments in the world will not correct the underlying physiological problem any faster, but they can help to manage and treat the pain and limitation of function that come along with the condition.

Additionally, there are multitudinous potential causative or contributory factors to elbow pain, so a one size, fits all solution is impossible.

The best, evidence-based advice one can receive is rest with ice and protection while still gently moving the area through a pain-free range for a few days. Progressing into progressively graded movement while avoiding painful stimuli is the next step. Stretching and/or strengthening is fine as long as it does not evoke pain.

If your symptoms fail to decrease with a couple of weeks of the above approach, consulting with a physical therapist to determine whether other adjacent body regions may be contributing is advised.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been awhile since this was started.  I was wondering if you have improved stayed the same or regressed.  I over extended my elbow 4 years ago and between message exercise and rest when you first feel the pain and the brace for tennis elbow all helped me improve.  I also found it to be very easy to reinjure it.  I found keeping my elbow warm was a big help either wearing a jacket a long sleeve shirt or under arm sleeve on one arm like you see the pro football players wear.

I also have ms and out of desperation to help give my legs some strength I decided to try some Tommy copper products.  Monte Williams who also has ms swears they helped him so I decided to try it first on my knees it was amazing how much they helped in fact I thought it was like the placebo affect. After wearing them for a month my elbow again started to hurt so I bought one for it and it has really helped.  My thoughts are it is something I should use more as maintenance and preventative maintenance since like I said if I wan't careful i could re injure it very easily. Sorry for the long post

• 7 months later...