Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compression Under clothing

Anyone trying the new fangled compression clothing under their jersey's/shorts?

Getting tired to having to dip myself in sun screen before every match, so I have been eyeballing some of the long sleeved compression shirts and possibly some tights. Curious if anyone has any personal experience with "performance" clothing.

Since I am sure someone will ask, I work midnights in a building with no windows so when I get out in the sun I just burn. No matter what I will have to use sun screen on my ears/face (lots of reflected light at local range) but I would be nice not having to grease myself up before a match.

I've used UnderArmour long sleeve compression for years, ColdGear/HeatGear depending on weather. Good SPF, lots of color choices, and no loose sleeves getting tangled in equipment. USPSA and 3-Gun.

I've used the compression gear, and it's good, but I ordered some compression sleeves off of amazon for around $15 that only cover your arms so your core can breathe better. I found that the full compression gear made my arms cooler but core seemed to retain heat under a jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started wearing UA heat gear long sleeve shirts last year after discovering some skin cancer. I don't find it to provide any kind of performance improvement but it is very comfortable in the heat and provides some peace of mind, though I still wear sun block under it.

I started wearing UA heat gear long sleeve shirts last year after discovering some skin cancer. I don't find it to provide any kind of performance improvement but it is very comfortable in the heat and provides some peace of mind, though I still wear sun block under it.

Yeah I'm not super concerned with improved performance, although I could use the help, mostly worried about comfort in hot humid summer.

I recently read an article from last were Consumer Reports tested a couple offerings, some high price brand (not UA) and an affordable option (Eastbay). The Eastbay long sleeve rated at roughly 392 UPF dry and 304 wet, meaning only 1/304th of UVA and UVB gets through when soaking wet. for reference 50 UPF blocks roughly 98% UVA/UVB, Also worth noting that the Eastbay EVapor long sleeve compression wasn't rated for UPF from Eastbay, but is made from the same material as the much more expensive offering tested.

CR link: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/testing-sun-protective-clothing/index.htm

Reading all that it sounds like the Eastbay is thicker material, but I have been unable to find a comparison between them and the offerings from UA as far as comfort factor.

If you do not care for compression but want sun protection, Columbia makes long sleeve fishing shirts that cool well and offer sun protection. Omni freeze is their cooling deal. The one I bought is comfortable and cut tight enough to use a base or by itself.

A trick with the heatgear on super hot low humidity days (hey, I live in the desert) is to get them wet. Instant evaporative cooling that is pretty dang effective.

Unfortunately for me I live in W Va and I grew up in Southeast Michigan (Detroit suburbs) - 90's with 90-something percent humidity is all I know

I've run the Nike heat gear in Texas summer matches and it's been fantastic. Sure, I drank plenty of liquids but I never felt fatigued. I was running the long sleeves top, no jersey and full length tights under my shorts. Kept the sun off my skin and I never felt overheated.

• 2 weeks later...

KurtM should be a good one for input on this topic.

It's seems as though he has finally settled the debate on best socks, so perhaps he can chime in here now...?

C'mon Kurt!

• 3 years later...

lrgscaleFDF_EM-3099.JPGI hear these work pretty well.  XD

But on a serious note: if you're light skinned like me it only takes 15 minutes of midday sun for a couple weeks to build up a tan.  Mother nature's natural SPF.  And you'll get your vitamin D requirements met at the same time.  Turns out a complete lack of sun exposure can actually put you at risk of skin cancer just as burning can.  The highest rates of skin cancer are actually found in individuals who work underground during the day.

The thing I like about UA long sleeve compression gear (heat or cold) is that it does not get tangled up in your 3 gun or action pistol gear. Very functional and colors are great also. I have used this gear for a long time. Try it, you will like it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 7:26 PM, NMBOpen said:

I've used UnderArmour long sleeve compression for years, ColdGear/HeatGear depending on weather. Good SPF, lots of color choices, and no loose sleeves getting tangled in equipment. USPSA and 3-Gun.

Like Tommy, I started using UA Heatgear in the summer quite a while ago.  At NM elevations (5,000 + feet) it has very little UV protection.  I do not like cancer.

I use two different versions of their Coldgear, depending on the temperature.

There stuff is great and mine has lasted years.

In AZ, I almost always wear a long sleeve shirt.