Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

loaded 40 with buldge behind the bullet

CrashDodson

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive shot about 8K of Ibejihead 200 gr .401 in my stock STI Edge on a Dillon 550 with an EGW U die. Not one issue! FWIW

I guess my loading bench is cursed. Same issue with two different presses and two different sets of dies. Maybe I could get you to teach me how to pull the handle better lol. I made 600 last night for cowtown and had 75 not gauge. Hoping the new redding dies are the ticket. If not I'll try a push through sizer then last resort is new brass I guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So either my OCD kicked in, or I completely lost my mind last night. I sorted about 2000 pieces of brass by headstamp. I'm going to load 100 of each headstamp and see how it works out as far as failures to chamber check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive shot about 8K of Ibejihead 200 gr .401 in my stock STI Edge on a Dillon 550 with an EGW U die. Not one issue! FWIW

I guess my loading bench is cursed. Same issue with two different presses and two different sets of dies. Maybe I could get you to teach me how to pull the handle better lol. I made 600 last night for cowtown and had 75 not gauge. Hoping the new redding dies are the ticket. If not I'll try a push through sizer then last resort is new brass I guess.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Did you try to check if a piece of something is stuck inside the die?

Loaded 700 this afternoon, I've chamber checked 400 of them. So far:

Winchester 100/100 pass

Cbc 95/100

S&B 198/200.

Give me enough ammo to take over to a last minute match I'm shooting tomorrow.

I have some other headstamps loaded but have not checked them yet.

Also the bullets I checked that I thought were .400 were actually .401, I got a mic out and checked them... I thought it was a little odd to have Bayous that were sized different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also a friend of mine had to return the die holder on his 650 recently. Its slightly off and caused timing issues. Bullet was a little side ways when it was being seated cause the die holder was out of spec a little. He called Dillon and they sent him a new one, problem solved. Im thinking maybe thats whats causing the bulge?

Also a friend of mine had to return the die holder on his 650 recently. Its slightly off and caused timing issues. Bullet was a little side ways when it was being seated cause the die holder was out of spec a little. He called Dillon and they sent him a new one, problem solved. Im thinking maybe thats whats causing the bulge?

I changed to an older tool head that was making 9mm ammo. As of now I think I found the sweet spot for all of my dies. Everything worked good yesterday.

I changed to an older tool head that was making 9mm ammo. As of now I think I found the sweet spot for all of my dies. Everything worked good yesterday.

Thats good news!

Glock, kkm stainless barrel:

My once or twice fired starline brass will case gauge like 92 out of 100. Other brass, shot in other glocks will not case gauge better than 60%. Will not seat all the way. The U die will do great, but it rides above the shellplate. I read that someone ground theirs down.

Got the redding push through and realize it will not go in a progressive and I had just ditched a single stage taking up room in the garage. I ran the stuff that would not case gauge thru the glock and most of it worked okay, but for competition, will case gauge everything.

My current setup is MBF funnel, redding dual ring sizer and redding comp seater. Im using a dillon crimp die. With this setup the bulge is gone or at least not visible like it was before. With that said I am still having a high failure rate. Now it seems to be near the bottom of the case. I guess the redding does not size down as far as the U die did. The press is running really smooth with this setup and the bullets sit in the case well using the MBF funnel.

Guess Im going to have to get a single stage and a push through for this glocked brass.

Edited by CrashDodson

I have the exact same setup on an RL1050 except with a Redding crimp die. But I process all my brass through a case pro before reloading. It is 100% reliable.

I think the solution will definitely be full length case sizing now that I have the bulge situation resolved. I cant go out and buy a case pro right now so I will have to make do with a cheap single stage and a push through setup. A case pro would be nice to have though.

I was getting a bulge with 180gr CNFP, but it wasn't an issue until I tried them in my Beretta...and it locked up feeding a round fairly frequently..

Went to a Mr Bulletfeeder expander and it was a lot better.

Then I made a new seating die to match the bullet profile exactly and the problem was solved.

I have a XL650 for .45 and .38 Spec,, and 9mm, but load .40 on a SDB so I didn't have the luxury of just buying a different seating die.

• 2 months later...

Having same issues here as well. Using EGW sizing, Dillon expander funnel, Dillon seating (small side seemed to center better than larger on Xtreme 180 RNFP for me), Dillon crimp. Lots failing ECW gauge (but not my barrel) due to asymmetrical bulge. All plunk well after just sizing, so not a sizing problem, but cannot speak towards the softer side issue causing seating bulge suggested above. What helped was extra 1/4 turn on crimp beyond recommended 1/4, did pull bullet to verify not squeezing it too much. Interested to try Bayou over Xtremes to see if harder bullet stretches case more uniformly, but would not expect it to if a soft side of case issue.

Big picture, though, is that the last 120 of my failure to gauge cartridges shot fine out of my XDM 5.25, unlike the OP who is having actual reliability issues in his gun. Yes, throwing ECW gauge away is cheapest option, just like that test with 7 rounds over one at a time in barrel.

Nick and CrashDodson, keep us posted!

My current recipe that is providing the best results:

Redding dual ring carbide sizer as close to shell plate as possible.

Mr Bullet feeder powder funnel

Redding competition seating die

More crimp then you think is necessary.

.400 bullets seem to do better then .401 bullets. Any problems I am still having is a result of glocked brass. Out of 100 I may have 20 that dont gauge because of glocked brass. I can run these through the lee bulge buster and fix about half of them. A buddy just bought a case pro and he gave me a bag of roll sized brass I am going to try this evening and see if that helps. If I get 100 of the roll sized brass to gauge then I can safely say at this point glocked brass is my only issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On July 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM, CrashDodson said:

My current recipe that is providing the best results:

Redding dual ring carbide sizer as close to shell plate as possible.

Mr Bullet feeder powder funnel

Redding competition seating die

More crimp then you think is necessary.

.400 bullets seem to do better then .401 bullets. Any problems I am still having is a result of glocked brass. Out of 100 I may have 20 that dont gauge because of glocked brass. I can run these through the lee bulge buster and fix about half of them. A buddy just bought a case pro and he gave me a bag of roll sized brass I am going to try this evening and see if that helps. If I get 100 of the roll sized brass to gauge then I can safely say at this point glocked brass is my only issue.

I'm running this exact die setup with a Redding micrometer crimp die as well.  Before loading I sort out any glocked brass with the smiley face defect on them.  I consider that a damaged case.  Any brass that is simply bulged gets run.   I think I had about 10 out of 500 rounds loaded with 180 gr BLACK BULLETS that didn't case gauge in my hundo xl case gauge.  I've checked it vs my barrel, and any that push flush with very light pressure still pass for me.  

Ran 400/500 through my ck arms the other day with zero malfunctions.