Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Nats

5iron

I know it's a little early to ask, but do we know, rumors or inside info about the 2017 Limited/ Open Nats location, if it's on the East coast again next year all go to Frostproof this year, if it's coming back to the west coast all sit this year out, pricey trip last year of course had to stay at Disney World good time.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 0:40 AM, HI5-O said:

Now the 2016 Open Nationals is done, any word on the location for 2017?

The 2017 USPSA Optic Sight National Championship or Optics Nationals will be March 23-26, 2017, at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, Florida. The Optics National Championship will include Open, Carry Optics, and PCC Divisions, and competitors may only enter one division.
Slots for Open Division will be released to Champions and Section Coordinators in mid-November, they will need to be returned and paid by Dec 31 st . Registration for remaining competitors will begin in mid-January.

The timing of the Optics Nationals is blowing up on USPSA's Facebook page.

Much of the Northern States will probably still be under snow when this match starts so practicing is going to be nearly impossible for a sizable chunk of the potential competitors. With the World Shoot in August, USPSA's options are a tad limited. During the last WS year (2014) there was combined Nationals in Utah and I was expecting that format for 2017, it would solve a lot of scheduling problems; One big centrally-located Nationals, pick your division. 

Hello: I for one would like to see just one big nationals for all divisions. Make it one week long and be done with it. It would be easier on staff and also for people to take the time off. I also think it would be good if you could only enter one division as well. As for the timing I think if you want to get more kids involved you will have to do it during the time when school is out or summer time. Thanks, Eric

If we got all the sponsors we normally get for the separate Nationals to sponsor a single match, just think how big that prize table would be and how much extra revenue would be available for props, steel, walls etc..

In a WS year I think that a combined Nationals is the way to go, perhaps have a single Nationals for a couple of years and use the data to determine if the format works or not. 

I like the idea of a 4-5 day match, with 24-30 stages I think it could accommodate around 700-720 competitors maybe more. It would certainly bring the prestige back to the event. A single event would be easier and cheaper for vendors to attend too.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:22 PM, OHIOAFC said:

The 2017 USPSA Optic Sight National Championship or Optics Nationals will be March 23-26, 2017, at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof, Florida. The Optics National Championship will include Open, Carry Optics, and PCC Divisions, and competitors may only enter one division.
Slots for Open Division will be released to Champions and Section Coordinators in mid-November, they will need to be returned and paid by Dec 31 st . Registration for remaining competitors will begin in mid-January.

I really wanted to shoot Nationals next year, but March and April are going to be busy for me with other matches.  Guess I'll try to catch it in 2018.

On 11/3/2016 at 2:35 PM, BritinUSA said:

Much of the Northern States will probably still be under snow when this match starts so practicing is going to be nearly impossible for a sizable chunk of the potential competitors. With the World Shoot in August, USPSA's options are a tad limited. During the last WS year (2014) there was combined Nationals in Utah and I was expecting that format for 2017, it would solve a lot of scheduling problems; One big centrally-located Nationals, pick your division. 

Bingo

On 11/3/2016 at 0:35 PM, BritinUSA said:

Looks like they deleted the post.  

Posted by USPSA president Mike Foley on another forum:

"There is a board policy that dictates that a president cannot announce a Nats location or date without a contract. It is in place to prevent competitors from making plans based on the potential of changing venues. I don't have a contract yet, but the plan is to have an irons Nats, Production/Limited/L10 in October in the Western US."

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...

Per USPSA Down Range this morning:
Online self-squadding will open at 2 p.m. EST, on Jan. 21, for the 2017 USPSA Sig Sauer Optics National Championship. Competitors that have returned and paid their earned slots will be able to choose a squad and schedule. The match will be a two-day format: March 23-24 or March 25-26. USPSA members that did not receive an earned slot will be able to register on Jan. 28.

So non-slotters get to register after squadding?
Won't be any weekend squads left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well i was scheduled for another match during this time and I just found out that the match I had signed up for got cancelled.  I had gotten a call from USPSA a couple months ago to reserve my spot for open nationals since I had won open B class at Area 4.  I guess I missed out on that registration and have to wait until January 28 to register.  So those that are familiar with the nationals, do you think the weekend slots fill up faster?  Also, where is the best place to get a hotel ( Drive time to range)?