Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the fastest way to deprime pistol brass before cleaning

ShortBus

I like wet tumble and dry in a dehumidifier. If I deprime first I take my dying time to just over an hour which means 2.5 from start to finish.

What is the easiest way to do it and stay within a $200 budget under $100 is even better

If you want to do it fast tumble the brass for a bit in walnut to get the big crud off the brass then dump it in a casefeeder on a 650/1050 with just a universal de capper. No lube since no sizing. You can do 1k an hour.

But I still thought the press was getting too dirty so I bought a $30 LEE press and a $15 LEE de capper off Amazon and went to work. Slow but cheap and you can do it in the garage with nasty brass

Fastest is to dry tumble, and decap on a progressive press in a sizing die, followed by primer powder bullet. One pass, no fuss.

Jmho, but I just don't get wet tumbling just for super shiny clean brass, its a pia. Dry tumbling does just fine...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Jmho, but I just don't get wet tumbling just for super shiny clean brass, its a pia. Dry tumbling does just fine...

jj

I think I have come to that conclusion myself. Other than the inside being cleaner I think my dry tumbled brass looks and feeds better. Doesn't hold a shine either. And just takes two hour process to all day affair more or less

jj

Doubled Edited by Sarge

I throw dirty brass into a Lee Loadmaster with just a depriming die mounted and crank away. Get the kit for whichever caliber brass you want to work, a universal de-priming die and the case collator. It's over your budget (about $275 for everything) but it's nice to have a second press for odd jobs and as a backup if your main press poops the bed.

OP, what is the reason, or benefit, of de-priming pistol brass prior to processing? Pistol rounds don't care whether the primer pocket is clean or not, it has no affect on function or accuracy. My cleaning method is overnight in walnut media loaded with a couple of teaspoons of mineral oil, then again in corn media loaded with a couple of teaspoons of NuFinish car polish. No dust, the brass is clean and slippery, goes right to the press, don't even need case lube.

turns range brass from crap to clean

image36947.jpg

Why bother tumbling the brass at all? Brass doesn't care whether it's dull or shiny. Just brush the mud off and load 'em up! :sight:

Seriously though, I'm one of the weirdos who enjoys all the parts of reloading and I like super clean mirror bright brass. So that means rough tumbling. Then depriming. Then wet tumbling and drying. Inspecting every piece. Then very careful loading. Then polish tumbling.

Pain in the butt? No, I have the time and enjoy the work. Is it necessary? No again, fired brass can be immediately reloaded and it will shoot just fine, no tumbling required. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether they want to just give it a quick wipe or spend all day making gorgeous brass. Something in between those two extremes is where most people end up.

So, anyone have a depriming suggestion for the OP?

I use a Lee Classic Cast single stage press and Lee Universal decapping die. One thing I really like about the Classic Cast press is the way you get rid of the fired primers. They do down thru the center of the ram and then a hose into whatever container you wish to use. It's also a very sturdy and well built press which should last for a long, long time.

90998-01.jpg

For loads I run alot of, I just run them thru my LnL with a Lee Universal decapper. The press only takes a few minutes to clean up, take off shell plate, pull primer slide, wipe out case feeder bowl. That includes all 9mm, 45, 300 BO and 223. Most of the time I just sort on a course screen, to let the dirt fall out. If they are really funky, Ill rinse them in hot water to get the dirt off, and if they are a little wet when I decap, I dont care. Then I run them in SSTL media.

I decap anything else on a Lee single stage. The open front allows me to feed with my smart right hand and run the lever with my stupid left hand.

90045.jpg

Heres a pic of my setup:

IMAG0133.jpg

The spring that holds the shell plate in was reversed so the case kicker doesnt catch. The kicker is a piece of 3/4" metal strapping. The little chute is self explanatory. It will handle up to a 308 length case.

I use a Hornady LNL with a RCBS die to De-prime goes by fast. I dry cleaned for the first 27 years and started wet cleaning last year. I like doing it and I have the time only shot about 14,000 a year, not that much work. Hand-loading is my only hobby

Same as kaldor. I use the cheapest Lee single stage with the Lee universal decanting die clamped to a stool. Once you get a decent rhythm it's actually fairly quick.

Try adding that kicker to it. Only handling the case once makes a big difference. Id say it will increase output at least 25%, probably more.

Dump the dry cleaned (dry cleaning only takes 1 hour) into the case feeder, pull the handle once on a progressive, and a finished round falls out ready to shoot. Most efficient and quickest method...

I switch out the tool head for one with a Lee universal decapping die and run them through my PW equiped 1050. In a couple of hours all the brass is deprimmed and wet tumbled waiting to be loaded.

woof

Same as kaldor. I use the cheapest Lee single stage with the Lee universal decanting die clamped to a stool. Once you get a decent rhythm it's actually fairly quick.

Try adding that kicker to it. Only handling the case once makes a big difference. Id say it will increase output at least 25%, probably more.

Not familiar with the kicker, do you have any links? Or can you explain?

PM sent with a couple pics and explanation

PM sent with a couple pics and explanation

Can you pm me that info also. Thank you