Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the fastest way to deprime pistol brass before cleaning

ShortBus

Same as kaldor. I use the cheapest Lee single stage with the Lee universal decanting die clamped to a stool. Once you get a decent rhythm it's actually fairly quick.

Try adding that kicker to it. Only handling the case once makes a big difference. Id say it will increase output at least 25%, probably more.

Not familiar with the kicker, do you have any links? Or can you explain?

PM sent with a couple pics and explanation

Can you pm me that info also. Thank you

Sent

Here it is for everyone to see:

Could probably use this same kicker design in other presses too, I just think the Lee C press works better for a decapping operation. Open front, can run lever with either hand, short lever so its fast, short lever also creates less force so youre less likely to break a decapping pin, and its dirt cheap.

https://goo.gl/photo...i1bce1YwRjRSSK8

https://goo.gl/photo...GTvZFoZxbH46Yb6

I used a torch to heat the end to put the curl on it with a small needlenose pliers. Its kind of a trial and error thing. You can also see in that pic that I swapped the snap ring that holds the shell holder to the other side. This requires drilling a small hole in the ram to do that. Just look at right side of the groove that holds the ring, and drill in the same spot on the left side. If you dont do this, the ring will catch on the kicker. If you plan on ejecting left, then no changes are needed. I eject right, because I feed with my right hand, run press with left. If youre left handed, then feed left, eject left.

I use a Lee universal decap die on a Dillon 650. Lee has been awesome about replacing decap rods. I move pretty fast and a Perfecta case or berdan or small flash hole, even with the tensioning nut set properly, will bend a decap pin. I deprime before wet tumbling for two reasons. First one is obvious. Clean primer pocket. Second reason is that the brass dries faster. I built a brass dryer. It takes @ 5-7 minutes to dry 1/2 a .50 cal ammo can full of brass. And I used mostly things I already had laying around. I took a small forced air heater( Like women have under thier desk) and cut a hole in a 5 gal bucket at the bottom, to fit the heater. I use a bungi cord to hold it to the bucket, so I can use the heated for whatever when not drying brass. Then I installed some 1/4" wire mesh in the bucket to keep the brass above the heater. I turn on the heater, pour in the towel dried brass and stir every few min. You have to stir to release a little of the heat to prevent the heater from getting too hot and shutting down. I am typically reloading my wet tumbler duting the "stir" phase. Brass dry in no time. Works way better than a food dehydrator. Once the brass is cool, I bag and tag. Or you can reload it. Once deprimed, brass goes from dirty to ready to reload in a little over 2 hours.

I built my wet tumbler from a tredmill someone was getting rid of. Only regret is building the cylinder too big and sturdy. I should have used schedule 30 PVC instead of 40. I should have used 6" instead of 8". And probably shouldn't have gone 24" long. Big is nice, but the cylinder, water, SS pins and brass weigh @ 100 pounds when loaded! I get a work out when I'm cleaning brass.......

I deprime off the press and wet tumble as well. Shiny brass just makes me happy I guess :)

Like others have mentioned, I just use a Lee decapping die, but I bought a Lee Hand Press so I can just sit on my couch and deprime while I watch TV. I have the Harvey deprimer as well, but I found it too tedious to align the flash hole on long cases like 38 and 357.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Cast-Reloading-Press/dp/B000NOQIFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460681896&sr=8-1&keywords=Lee+hand+press

Then just get some universal shell holders for it and you can deprime anything

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Universal-Press-Holder/dp/B000NTMJK2/ref=pd_sim_200_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=5162IOyUugL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL480_SR348%2C480_&refRID=057YNPCMRETN9WWCW7QV

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by jschweg

I get a LOT of crimped 9mm brass. And I get 9mm brass with primers that stick to my Dillon 9mm decapping pin. Instead of just chucking them, I put a 9mm case holder and a 40 S&W resizing die in a single stage press and pop all of the primers out of my 9mm brass. No extra cost, as I already reload for the bigger round so I have the die here, and I can dump the newly deprimed brass in a tumbler and get them cleaned.

Personally I don't decap before wet tumbling. I used to use a food dehydrator but they are too small and took to long to ensure the primer pockets were dry. Now I just wet tumble with no pins, then when done rinse, do a quick external dry by pouring it on a towel and shake it around. Dump in a bucket and when I have half a 5 gallon pail I dump them into a couple of large cheap cake pans from Walmart and throw them into my oven at 250 for a couple hours. The water boils and evaporates from the primer pockets and I can do several "gallons" worth of brass in one shot. You don't need to have it spread out in a single layer, do it in bulk. I have also switched to an auto wash soap with some wax in it and it keeps the brass from tarnishing and keeps the brass slightly slick. I just did two 5 gallon buckets of brass in a day. Pins take too much time to remove and the brass is just as shiny as when I used the pins.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Harvey depriming tool while watching the tube, before tumbling. I have a tray set up with a container to catch the powder crap/curd and inspect each case along with separating any other sized cases. plus remove any wrinkles in the mouth of the case area.

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

The above shows the 5.56mm I use it on 9mm, .50 AE, and .50 beowulf

I got a Lee Pro 1000 with case collator and use a Lee universal decapping die. About $180. It is a dedicated depriming station. Dump in the days take from the range and decap into a bucket. Doesn't run without hang ups, but beats every other method.

Cleanliness is why I don't deprime on my 650 and why I wet tumble. It also makes brass inspection easier and once I get loading there's no brass issues to slow me. I also refuse to dry tumble because of the dust. I just won't deal with that.

Edited by theWacoKid

I use a one of my old lee 1000 3 position progressive presses with just a lee universal decap die. Though sometimes I just wipe off fired ones and load them also. Most of my brasd ends up 'lost' at idpa matches, so I figure let the next owner clean em...

dang, too bad I bought the cheapie lee single stage, this looks like it would help quite a bit, looks like unless someone knows of something similar I'll have to try my hand at making something.

dang, too bad I bought the cheapie lee single stage, this looks like it would help quite a bit, looks like unless someone knows of something similar I'll have to try my hand at making something.

I made one very similar to the one in the video using a wire coat hanger.

If you do a whole lot of depriming, the only thing wrong with the Lee C press is that the body is aluminum and I wore one out to the point Lee replaced the whole unit. Had so much slop in the ram it would not get the pin in the primer flash hole a lot of the time.

I replaced it with a Classic Cast (sold the C press unused in box) and have had zero problems with it since acquiring it.