Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle/Shotgun/PCC from the shoulder

Nghthwk1911

I believe the fired from shoulder stuff originated on the USPSA forum. I do think it's a planned requirement but I would have to double check.

ETA: It's actually in the draft appendix for PCC.

Must have stock attached and must be fired from shoulder position. **Note: Sig Brace and any variant thereof is not allowed—must be attached to the carbine and fired from the shoulder**

Edited by ZackJones

I believe the fired from shoulder stuff originated on the USPSA forum. I do think it's a planned requirement but I would have to double check.

ETA: It's actually in the draft appendix for PCC.

Must have stock attached and must be fired from shoulder position. **Note: Sig Brace and any variant thereof is not allowed—must be attached to the carbine and fired from the shoulder**

Yes, I think most of us know that it's in the draft appendix, and that's why we're discussing it. What purpose does it (requiring that PCC be fired from a shouldered position) serve? Or, was it a terrible use (miss-use) of language that accidentally resulted in this requirement?

It seems to be a requirement without consequences. What's the penalty for violation?

Let's try to persuade USPSA to remove this poorly considered requirement.

Respectfully,

ac

It's possible that wording is a carry over from the draft appendix Troy and I worked on for steel challenge which obviously has different requirements than USPSA matches. Best way to get the wording revised is to email your AD and Troy. I will see AD 6 this weekend and discuss it with him.

I believe I can shed some light. It was originally placed in there to ensure non-stocked rifles were not allowed (Sig Brace, etc) I would suspect you will see an update very soon that clarifies the equipment requirements versus the "must be fired from the shoulder" statement. Call it a hunch...

Mike

A4 Director

I believe I can shed some light. It was originally placed in there to ensure non-stocked rifles were not allowed (Sig Brace, etc) I would suspect you will see an update very soon that clarifies the equipment requirements versus the "must be fired from the shoulder" statement. Call it a hunch...

Mike

A4 Director

Excellent, thanks for the clarification Mike!

Mike

A4 Director

Thanks for posting this info. I look forward to the revised language.

Respectfully,

ac

The requirement needs to be removed/reworded. There are stages that require you to shoot one handed with extreme leans, around walls, hanging on ropes, etc. There's no physical way PCC could do the same while shouldering without exiting the shooting area.

amokscience, you are 100% correct and we are all working on modifying the rule.

Have you all played with shooting a carbine one handed? It's really fun and is actually a great skill to have in your bag of tricks..

Yep, about as often as I practice shooting a pistol SHO/WHO, which is to say not very much! But good to hear about the rule modification. Thanks!

amokscience, you are 100% correct and we are all working on modifying the rule.

Have you all played with shooting a carbine one handed? It's really fun and is actually a great skill to have in your bag of tricks..

Lol! I wouldn't say it's fun, challenging yes! Just glad it's being considered and it sounds like you guys are on top of it, thank you!

Jon

I have asked this a few times of Charles Sole, Mike Sexton, and anybody really. No answer. Because is all I get. It is also a rule at Tarheel 3 Gun. I suspect there was an incident once and nobody wants to talk about it. I learned about it when I was doing my walkthrough at the Remington Versamax Shotgun Match in Atlanta last year and Mike was in my squad. I was looking at the last part of stage which had shots under a fence about mid-thigh high and said" 'I'll just shoot those Steve McQueen style, move and then finish'". I was told that was not allowed and because it's in the rules. Anybody who shoots shotgun enough and practices a lot has shot a shotgun upside down over their head or off their bicep (this in done in matches as well) and is aware of the dynamics. I personally do not have an objection to it and shot several targets with PCC not shouldered at 3GN Regional, because they were right in my face-kind of the way we shoot pistol targets under a table sometimes-just point and shoot. Not sure of the issues to cause a rule.

I am not sure how it can be a rule for a match that Charles Sole runs, as he is a 3GN MD (Or last I knew he was), and 3GN has no rules other then burning a round about long guns having to be shouldered at all. If it is in the 3Gun Nation rules it is not in any rule book I can find on-line. Maybe you should ask them to show you this in print at the next match and you can tell us on what page or napkin it is written on?

You are correct as of this moment. The rule was in there last year because I asked at every match. The Versamax Series Matches were a variant of 3GN rules. Tarheel 3 Gun Rules were revised in March this year. PCC 3 GN rules have been revise since February, which is when I last shot it.There is no language in any rules that I see that precludes any long gun or carbine not being shot from the shoulder except when "burning" a round. Probably because there was no good reason for the rule in the first place. I hope USPSA changes the rule to be more in line with pistol rules.

The language just got changed https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20160412_PCC%20Appendix%20for%20USPSA%20D8.pdf

Also, in the minutes of the April board meeting it was announced that PCC will be a provisional division in July https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20160412.pdf

Like it or not, there it is. I could have predicted this (and did) in January. Not happy, but it is what it is and I'll have to deal with it.