Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSP Gen 4 Glock guide rods/ reduced springs

packeagle

Allowed:

8.2.1.3.4 Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier

than stainless steel.

Not allowed:

8.2.1.4.5 Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.

It appears that the Gen 3 guide rod adapters are a no go.

Jager says that their polymer rods are SSP legal. I know that SS rods are legal. I am interested in the "Gen. 4 Captured hardened Steel Guide Rod (HEAVY .270)" because it might hold the larger diameter wolf springs (already have) slightly better than the smaller rod.

But, before I purchase I wonder if I'm overlooking a reason other than the word heavy being in the product description that Jager doesn't list this as SSP compliant.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I found this as I'm looking for exactly the same clarification. Hoping this reply will bump the thread for more visibility and elicit some feedback from those who might be more versed in the rules and/or this specific setup.

I read the rules the same way in that Jager's captured steel guide rods would be legal as they don't require a slide insert/adapter to work and that RSAs made of material no heaver than SS are allowed. Based on all the data that I can find on the density of steel, stainless seems to be more dense than carbon and tool steel; as long as Jager isn't making them out of high speed tool steel then I can't fathom they'd be more dense or heavier than stainless.

The only rule that I could conceive would even come close to being infringed upon by the .270 rod would be 8.1.7.2, but I have a hard time believing that this would be considered an add-on weight.

8.1.7.2 Add-on weights. This includes (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs.

I'm looking for the same benefits as far as tune-ability goes but don't want to break the rules to get it.

Thoughts from the experts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's good for SSP. I can argue the fact both ways but you are allowed to make internal reliability mods, which is what this is. Sure the rod is slightly larger (adding weight) but it's to better fit the more reliable round wolff springs.

On a side note I run both the heavier round spring rod and the normal flat. I prefer the smoothness of the flat spring better, and the weight difference isn't noticeable.