Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressors Advise

EddyB

I am building my first SBR (300 AAC) with an 8.5 barrel and of course will be putting a Can on it but there are many options out there and I'm trying to get some advice on which one to go with, most likely it will be the only one I get for a long while because of cost and process, a multi caliber would be nice for versatility ( l've been told to get 30 cal ), I would like to keep the cost around $800 but I am open minded :-)

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AAC 762SD (not the SD6) is the quietest can I have heard. It will work with super and subs. Works with 223 on 10.5"+ barrels. There are some 9mm solutions but they will not be as quiet and most will only handle subs. It really depends on what other calibers you want to cover.

i have an 8.5" 300 upper and have been reading up for the same thing. I'm leaning towards an Osprey 45 since it will work well with 300 subs (ONLY!) 9mm, and 45. but I also want just one can to work on everything. I don't like suppressed 223, it's still pretty loud. I also don't shoot 308 but I do shoot 45s. so that's my thought process.

I've got a Yankee hill lta30 can and I'm happy with it. You're going to be hard pressed to find a can that suppresses a wide range of calibers well look for Inferchangeable end caps in order to do so.

Here's my 8.5 300

BDA036A8-652B-46FB-A5F6-F1233744CE42_zps

I just went through this same decision process. I ended up buying the Rugged Surge 762. To me it seemed like the right choice, If you buy a few accessories, it is like 4 suppressors in one with one stamp. I got the Surge and added the 5.56 end cap and an additional 5.56 brake. It was a a little over $1k for everything. One additional factor that sold me is it has a 100% unconditional warranty... blow out the end cap or have some baffle strikes because of crappy ammo send it in and they will fix it. Now if I could just buy some patience to help me wait on it...

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/surge-762/

I don't know of any manufacturer that suggests shorter than a 10" barrel with bottleneck cartridges.

I've been using a Surefire FA556k for years now and it works great. I love the quick attach feature, and the new QA feature is even better. It's Hollywood silent with a subsonic load, and there is only 1/2" impact shift with or without the suppressor. I don't think they make the FA556k any more but I doubt that they've dropped the quality. I know that they make .30 cal suppressors too.

Edited by BrianKr

Yup, from the perspective of the shooter the hammer strike is louder than the noise of the round. Since the bullet is subsonic all one hears is the bullet impact after the hammer strike. I'm shooting them out of a short barreled Contender. Too, I don't have a .30 cal suppressor that I'm shooting .223 through. It's a dedicated 5.56 suppressor and that makes a difference. When I shoot it at a public range and it never fails to attract people. I give a demo of w/o and with the suppressor just to show that it really is a firearm. Of course there is no recoil to speak of; it's much like dry firing, except of course it has a lethal projectile.

There are thousands of subsonic loads. Here's what I'm using:

.223 Rem Super 16 Contender |
Subsonic @ 1013 fps
Hornady .224 33 gr V-Max w/FASTEX
CCI 450 small rifle magnum primer
2.0 gr Green Dot
2.110 C.O.A.L.

Accuracy is good out to 50 yards then the groups begin to open up.

I don't have much experience with .30 suppressors, but I see no reason it can't be made very quiet indeed using fast powder and keeping it subsonic. No chrono' needed; you'll know when it's a subsonic load. BTW, the above load with a hair more powder goes supersonic and it's entirely different. Noisy once again.

Edited by BrianKr

Got it that makes sense then and easier to achieve subsonic in a bolt or single shot platform. I run all mine in an ar platform. Here I though I was going to be buying another dedicated caliber can but it may not be plausible for what I'm doing

It is possible to do subsonic in an AR, but contrary to the way one would ordinarily work up a load, you'd need to start sort of high and work down. The problem is the gas hole. If one starts low the gas will be lost and the bullet can get lodged. The hiss of pressure escaping means you've got problems. Don't ask me how I know that. :-)

If you want an AR subsonic load I can supply it, but it uses 80 grain Sierras and they must be individually loaded. They won't cycle the action. The 80 grain bullets also require 1:7 twist and even with that they'll begin to destabilize before 75 yards. At 100 yards they are keyholing. Penetration is some kind of incredible; 13" in dry hemlock and they will tumble a few inches in. For a few inches they cut a swath almost 1" in width.

Edit: Oh, and you shouldn't load the same low pressure brass sub sonic over and over. The brass will actually shrink if that's done. The cartridges that are designed for subsonic and full pressure can be reloaded over and over, but not my loads. I don't remember their names, but I know JD Jones has some, and one of them was appropriated and renamed something else. I seem to remember it being a .30 and using a very heavy bullet. Actually that cartridge is an AR cartridge. If someone has a .30 suppressor I'd look into getting an upper for it. Silent suppressed is really too cool!

Edited by BrianKr

I don't know of any manufacturer that suggests shorter than a 10" barrel with bottleneck cartridges.

I've been using a Surefire FA556k for years now and it works great. I love the quick attach feature, and the new QA feature is even better. It's Hollywood silent with a subsonic load, and there is only 1/2" impact shift with or without the suppressor. I don't think they make the FA556k any more but I doubt that they've dropped the quality. I know that they make .30 cal suppressors too.

I have a Griffin Armament Recce 7 in jail right now. From their website:

Rated on Following barrel lengths 7.5" 5.56mm, 8" 300BLK, 8" 7.62x39, 8" 6.8SPC, 12.5" 7.62x51, and 22" 300Win Mag

Edited by optimator

+1 on Silencer Shop. Good guys, and great place to shop.

If you're going to stay subsonic, the Octane HD .45 is a grand choice. It'll work with 300BLK subsonic as well as any non-magnum pistol caliber you want to throw down the tube. It's completely user-serviceable and works great.

I've got a buddy that uses one on his FA MP5, and its STUPID quiet. I tried mine on a friends 300BLK and it also was very quiet.

It you want to run a .22 caliber bullet subsonic, seems like it would be a lot less trouble and less expensive to build a .22 long rifle.

Cost of a subsonic round: < $.10

Time required: A few hours for load development, after that about 2 seconds per round, tops.

Cost to send a barrel out for threading : $150

Cost of a .22 suppressor: $300 (?)

Cost of NFA paperwork: $200

Time required: The first time 6 months, I don't know what the wait is today.

I'm running a .300 blackout with a10 1/2" barrel. I chose the AAC 762SD. It's pretty darn quiet. I'm shooting 220 grain Sierra HPBT about 950-1000 fps using 9.5 grains of HP110

+1 on the AAC. I shoot 220 gr Sierra match kings loaded at 9 gr of h110 and 8.5 gr lilgun and they are about the same. Very very quiet.