Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 vs 7.62x51

Has anyone reloaded 7.62 rounds? I have noticed that the military brass holds 5 grains +/- less powder than a .308, should I start my load 5 grains less than I do for a .308? I have heard of people getting major gas leaks (over charge) in the primer area, by using the same charge from .308 in a 7.62 case.

Edited by rustybayonet

IIRC, 7.62x51 brass has thicker case walls, reducing the internal volume. I would suggest working up a load with the 7.62 to make sure you don't over charge or trade off the military stuff for commercial 308.

Work up, as suggested. I use 7.62 brass for long range accurate rounds. Get great performance from those rounds.

And I use a mix of commercial brass for mouse fart close up rounds, different bullet and powder.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

As stated before both 7.62 and 5.56 NATO brass have thicker walls than commercial 308 Winchester and 223 Remington brass, so you need to work up slowly.

I believe Speer makes or made a manual that has data for military brass.

For bulk blasting practice ammo, I load for military brass since I have a big supply, and I hate surprises.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait... 7.62 Nato brass have thicker walls than .308 Commercial brass?! And 5.56 brass is also thicker than 223 brass??

How have I never noticed this!?!?

So does 5.56 and 7.62 offer more reloads per brass than the thinner commercial version?