Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open gun 9x25 dillon

ano

I just bought a 9x25 Dillon! :D

Deal was to good to passup, its a SVI, built 06, with only 200 rounds through it, looks 100% new, no wear! Gonna put a new sighttracker/ribbed 38super upper on it as well, but I cant wait to go shoot indoor with 21 grains of N110 behind a 90gr ;) should see 600ms+

Anyone have experiene with the caliber? owned one long time ago maybe?

Im not new to hotrods or wildcats, and own guns in pretty much every other handgun weirdo caliber there is, so this fits nicely as its been a hole in the collection.

Edited by ano

Pics!

Also, isn't there a minimum bullet weight of 120 grains for major in IPSC? So as insanely awesome as 17gr of 110 behind a 90 would be, wouldn't it still be scored minor? Just for funsies I totally get it though, that would be a beast!

Pics!

Also, isn't there a minimum bullet weight of 120 grains for major in IPSC? So as insanely awesome as 17gr of 110 behind a 90 would be, wouldn't it still be scored minor? Just for funsies I totally get it though, that would be a beast!

Yes, you will be scored for minor even if chrono says 200PF+

Lets just say I know the rulebook very well, so I know all complications and whatnots..

But damn y0 its gonna be a BLAST :D (pun intended)

It has a dustcover that goes the length of the comp, totally badass!

Will get pics out as soon.

I posted wrong data btw, Ive been plaing around in QL for pressure and load data

16.8 grains of N110 is behind a 124gr bullet

90gr can fit more.. we are talking close to 21 grains!!

75gr solid copper.. 22 something :o closer to 2200fps

Edited by ano

Yep I had one as well... it was after they added the minimum bullet weight (pf was still 175). It worked just as well with a huge charge of n110 and 115s.

It was a nice STI with a full profile comp had 3 reverse angle ports and one straight up. It had a Bushnel holosight on it. It had absolutely no muzzle rise the dot just kinda vibrated. On the other hand it had a mind numbing concussion. On the plus side the ro always gave me plenty of room in fact I'd bet they drew straws with the short straw having to run me. I still have the gun and the dies... one of these days I might drag it out of the safe and form up some brass and shoot a match with it just for the hell of it.

Need pics. Will be great fun with the 90 gn pills at 2,000 fps. The problem you'll face is with the pill weight being under the min major weight for both IPSC and USPSA. That is normally no issue but given the speed and the fact you're making major pf with a pill under weight an RO can declare the ammo 'unsafe'. Should be no problem at locals, club matches etc but any area matches or bigger might be an issue.

Of course you can just run 115s or 121s in which case you can still have a fire breathing dragon AND make major pf within the rules.

Also. Need pics!!

I shot 9x25 from 1995 until 2014. I was at a USPSA match when my wife heard some young shooters commenting on how loud it was, and that it was an old guy gun. On the way home she said "Buy yourself a new gun". Ordered it that night

. I still have two but have moved on to STI Grand Master 38 super. I found the 115 JHP caused the guns to dip so moved to 124 JHP My best load was 124JHP (18.9) N110 Mag primer. Great gun when the power factor was 175. The most important part of reloading the 9x25 is the load must be compressed. There is no way to crimp enough to retain the bullet when feeding. I still use them for practice, but probably will sell both and all the reloading in the near future.

Well, it goes like this,, you will be pushed automaticly to minor if your at chrono and bullet is less than 120gr, then someone will decide if they say ammo is unsafe, then you have to change ammo, and shoot minor for the rest of the match.

JimF38sup

Did you mean not enough crimp, causing pushback of bullet into brass, hence compressed load?

I don't know that it's exactly like that. Anyway it's likely he shoots USPSA. The min bullet for major in USPSA is 112gn. So the 90 grainers at 2100fps may be out unless you're happy to score minor. And they may or may not declare the ammo not safe to shoot since it apparently can damage steel.

It should still be pretty gnarly with 115s or 121s. :)

Thinking about putting a steel grip on to balance it out a bit. trying to color match it somehow.

Need to figure out what finish is on it as well. I want another complete slide and upper for supercomp/9major with ribbed barrel, need to find someone to machine it to match the current frame.

It does look like something out of robocop, which is nice :P

It does need to be broken in as its only done around 200 rounds and is a bit tight still.

I have a few other SVI guns so I can mix and match and move around parts (and steel grips) ;)

Ill rip it apart and try to weight the frame vs other guns/frames to see actual weight of each part (I always like to know exacts)

My current main open gun is 1642 grams / 3.61 lbs and I like a bit weight to them.

Awaiting delivery of the gun, will put up numbers/video when I get it

The dustcover weight can probably be offsett with a lighter guide rod, and other materials etc.

If I get it before the next round of a cup here, Ill shot there just for kicks, as I allready have enough matches with good results so I can play around. If so Ill video it, I know they have quite a few provional RO's there, should be fun to see their reaction ;)

Edited by ano