Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New open gun 9x25 dillon

ano

Awesome. :)

I have heard a story of a guy shooting 9x25 with 90gn pills going over 2000fps. At a match they had steel poppers that were quite thin and possibly not bisaloy/ar500. He went through the stage and at the end popper was still standing. He was about to ask for calibration then noticed something... A small 9mm sized hole in the popper. Yes apparently he shot a hole in a popper. I can't speak to the truth as I didn't see it myself but I like to think it could have happened. They should have unbolted it and let him take it home. :)

Awesome. :)

I have heard a story of a guy shooting 9x25 with 90gn pills going over 2000fps. At a match they had steel poppers that were quite thin and possibly not bisaloy/ar500. He went through the stage and at the end popper was still standing. He was about to ask for calibration then noticed something... A small 9mm sized hole in the popper. Yes apparently he shot a hole in a popper. I can't speak to the truth as I didn't see it myself but I like to think it could have happened. They should have unbolted it and let him take it home. :)

I've heard that story as well! Apparently it's pretty traveled lol

They typically did not punch holes unless it was the really flimsy steel.

They will dent and put divots in them and have seen that myself. I have actually been asked not to bring the gun or loads back to a range when I shot 9 by 25.

I had one built on a ST frame. What a cannon! One of the local ranges I shoot at set a stage where you had to stick the muzzle through an old, rusty, open ended barrel laying on it's side. When I got to the barrel and touched the 1st round off, rust and dust blew out of both ends of the barrel. That is the only pistol I shot that gave me "tennis elbow". I used H110, N110, and somewhere around here I have a recipe for a surplus powder call H108, handwritten by none other than TGO in El Paso Texas!

Finally got it home and registerd, its 7 ounces LIGHTER than my main open gun (steel grip.

came with a 2 stage guide rod, not crazy about thoose, but wow this is a nice gun, build quality and finish is awesome.

Yes, I belive this gun originated in australia.

I shot 9x25 from 1995 until 2014. I was at a USPSA match when my wife heard some young shooters commenting on how loud it was, and that it was an old guy gun. On the way home she said "Buy yourself a new gun". Ordered it that night

. I still have two but have moved on to STI Grand Master 38 super. I found the 115 JHP caused the guns to dip so moved to 124 JHP My best load was 124JHP (18.9) N110 Mag primer. Great gun when the power factor was 175. The most important part of reloading the 9x25 is the load must be compressed. There is no way to crimp enough to retain the bullet when feeding. I still use them for practice, but probably will sell both and all the reloading in the near future.

which bullet was that? QL says thats a pretty hot load with most 124 bullets, Ive also looked into it, loooks like H110 /W296 would be a good powder?

What you have there is a gunsmith built gun, not an SVI factory built one. It is as stated earlier, built by Andy at JPP Imports. Nevertheless, great looking gun in an interesting cartridge.

Edited by Humbo

• 3 months later...

Gonna make a match upper for it thats less cruel, trying to figure out the finish to match it, going to add signature skateboard mobious grip, rts2 or romeo3 optic, and new svi hybrid slide/barrel, 38sc/ 9mm, kinda want to keep the dustcover, its not that much weight, can offsett it with a titan comp, considering trying the binary eng one, anyone got lengths on it? current comp is just over 2 inches. 

I measured, and it seems like the pattern is the .750 c-more, I think the holes should maybe be a bit more backwards, and lower, it has quite a bit clearance to the slide, does anyone recognize the mount? 

I agree with front man, 'dem puppies are loud. Shot with a guy in Dayton, Ohio that had an open gun in that caliber on an indoor range. When ever he fired, any light he was standing under rained down on us. But it did recoil down.

The finish is likely a type of blueing. The surface is prepped to a high polish then blued. 

If if you want to keep the long dust cover consider keeping the slide and comp too. 

It should be an interchangable breach face slide. 

Buy a new breach in the calibre you want and a new barrel (and new extractor and possibly ejector) and have that fitted to the existing comp and slide. 

Theres ss not much you can do about the holes. The rear hole does seem a little far forward but not far enough to add one behind it. 

The arredondo mount has 3 holes at .750 centres and will fit a deltapoint or rts2 (or docter etc too). It's angled back a fair bit which will help offset the forward biased holes. 

If you do go new slide it's probably easier to refinish the frame and slide so they match rather than trying to duplicate a 10yr old finish on a new slide. Probably easier to cut back the dust cover too if you go to the new slide. Personally I'd go new barrel and keep the slide and comp if possible.