Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-13 vs Sig MPX for PCC

Nemesis Lead

The Gen1 ones are cheaper now ($45). The Gen2's can be had for $52. I guess they're trying to clear out the gen1s.

What's the difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gen1 ones are cheaper now ($45). The Gen2's can be had for $52. I guess they're trying to clear out the gen1s.

They are very non specific about what exactly has changed between the two mags only that it would be more reliable to use Gen 1 Mags with a Gen 1 gun and Gen 2 mags with a Gen 2 gun. Curious. At least there is an easy way to ID the two though. An easy way to ID the two Gen guns too with the handguards. I am trying to convince myself the $1800 price tag for the carbine is worth it because I really want the lighter recoil of a gas gun.

Edited by JesseM

I have access to both Gen 1 and Gen 2 mags, besides the OD color follower on the Gen2 the only real difference is the Feed lips on the magazines. I've ran the Gen2 mags just fine out of my Gen1 MPX and I ran a Gen 1 Mag in a Gen 2 MPX without no issue for 30 rounds as fast as I could pull the trigger, the Gen 2 Mags might have 30% more feed lip engagement then the Gen1's do. Also I believe the follower is cut a little different, I think its to match the last round ejecting / lock back that was changed on the Bolt of the MPX gen1 to gen2.

I am trying to convince myself the $1800 price tag for the carbine is worth it because I really want the lighter recoil of a gas gun.

Since when do we need to rationalize purchasing toys? ;)

Built an AR-9 from scratch in about 10 days. Some parts came from GB, PSA, Midway, some came direct and some I had around here. So far 100% flawless with everything from WM Fed 115 to 147 reloads. Have not tried NATO 9mm as yet. Don't really need the power factor.

Mag availability and cost was enough to tip me to JP. I just ordered some ETS mags to try out <$15.

I put a Taran Tactical on one of my 33 round Glock mags, able to get 36-37 rounds, Taran told me don't need different spring used orig. Has worked flawlessly. Also put a Taylor Freelance +12 get 40 in that one my JP works fine with both.. If you try TF put a pair of safety glasses on LOL

Thanks after seeing your post I put some on my Glock 33 round mags and they hold 35 easily and worked flawlessly.

Pat

I am trying to convince myself the $1800 price tag for the carbine is worth it because I really want the lighter recoil of a gas gun.

Since when do we need to rationalize purchasing toys? ;)

When there are other toys I also want to buy. Haha.

If youre LEO or have a C&R, you can get Gen2s for $40.

If youre LEO or have a C&R, you can get Gen2s for $40.

From where?

Brownells

Also prevents bolt catch from getting demolished by burly bolt pounding on it.

I get the desire for "LRBO" in a "fighting" gun. But, for competition, its not needed at all. With 30+rd mags, you shouldn't EVER be empty/at slide-lock.

• 3 weeks later...

I did a bunch of research this week and ended up with the Mpx. I'm changing the stock, muzzle device, trigger, and adding a badger latch to the charge handle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if you remove the spring guide bottom plate on the Mpx mags, you can get 34 reloadable 35 total rounds per mag

Are there any adverse side effects to doing this?

So if you remove the spring guide bottom plate on the Mpx mags, you can get 34 reloadable 35 total rounds per mag

You can also get the Springer Precision extensions for 40 rounds.

Edited by alma

You can also get the Springer Precision extensions for 40 rounda.

I have 2 of those on order.

I might order a SP MPX basepad in the near future when I decide to replace my CZ 75 ones. But for now being able to start with a 35+1 for USPSA without having to spend an extra dollar is nice. I haven't tried to load into one with 34 rounds but there seems to be enough room in the magazine since I'm not loading it 35 rounds to allow positive engagement.