Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-13 vs Sig MPX for PCC

Nemesis Lead

Interesting enough, I just got a email from Sig Customer service this morning stating they apologies for all the delays, but there back on track with the MPX and things are coming back in stock, and to email him if there was anything that I was interested in. I guess I've been one of the lucky ones, I got my Mags and Tele stock relatively quick (1st gen mags were back order for 2 weeks).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have both of these? I am curious on your impressions of the two. Which do you prefer and why? I am considering getting a PCC gun and want to start off on the right foot!

There are quite a few 9mm ARs and MPXs up at Richmond, so I'm sure you could get trigger time behind both before deciding.

Mag availability and cost was enough to tip me to JP. I just ordered some ETS mags to try out <$15.

30 round MPX mags are less than $5 more than factory 33 round Glock mags if you know where to look and they seem to be plentiful atm.

Mag availability and cost was enough to tip me to JP. I just ordered some ETS mags to try out <$15.

I put a Taran Tactical on one of my 33 round Glock mags, able to get 36-37 rounds, Taran told me don't need different spring used orig. Has worked flawlessly. Also put a Taylor Freelance +12 get 40 in that one my JP works fine with both.. If you try TF put a pair of safety glasses on LOL

I am not really in tune with 9mm AR's but can the gmr-13 upper be used with a Colt mag lower? It just seems like it would be annoying to not have a functional last round bolt hold open and the Colt mags are also cheap and two position feed

Yes. GMR13 bolt is cut for both Colt and Glock mags.

I am probably going to put together a CMMG Colt mag lower and run the JP bolt and SCS.

...It just seems like it would be annoying to not have a functional last round bolt hold open...

I've not found that I miss the LRBHO on my JP. Most of your reloads on the clock are locationally planned within the stage, so you rarely run dry. If you are just blazing away until empty and then reloading at that point, I kind of think you are doing it wrong. I have run it dry before on a stage, where I didn't intend to, and did get the "click" trigger pull which alerted me to the empty condition. That did cost me some time vs having a LRBHO. I suppose if I had a choice, I'd rather have it, but not necessarily at the expense of it not being a JP and taking glock mags. I think there are a couple glock mag'd ARs out now that have the LRBHO.

Replaced the trigger springs in my MPX with the light version from JP, noticeably lighter pull

I was thinking about trying the JP spring set in my PCC. I was looking at reviews last night and lots of folks had light strikes in .223 ARs, but I'd think this wouldn't be an issue for pistol primers. Have you tested it with a variety of pistol primers?

Does anyone have both of these? I am curious on your impressions of the two. Which do you prefer and why? I am considering getting a PCC gun and want to start off on the right foot!

I'm waiting for these questions to be answered as well. With all of the problems the MPX is having, I can't understand why it's worth it unless the recoil is significantly less than the JP.

Jon

I'm waiting for these questions to be answered as well. With all of the problems the MPX is having, I can't understand why it's worth it unless the recoil is significantly less than the JP.

Jon

I don't see many issues other than the Gen2s not playing well with Freedom 147s due to the smaller gas port

So how many gen's are there now and which are the ones to get? I have a JP being built now but I may play with an MPX one day

Jon

Two generations of SIG MPX: Gen I the first release of 9mm MPX pistols, Gen II release includes the new carbine, and modifications for multi caliber use (bigger ejection port, mag slight change) as well as different hand guard on the pistol

Edited by trgt

A few questions to those who have shot both the MPX and the JP 9mm (specifically the JP, not 9mm blowbacks in general). How is the recoil impulse different than the JP? Is it less recoil? Does it cycle slower or faster? How much muzzle movement is there? Does the JP comp even work with 9mm?

• 2 weeks later...

30 round MPX mags are less than $5 more than factory 33 round Glock mags if you know where to look and they seem to be plentiful atm.

So you can get MPX mags for $40-45? I'd love to know where. The expensive ass mags are a big deterent to me thinking about a Sig.

So you can get MPX mags for $40-45? I'd love to know where. The expensive ass mags are a big deterent to me thinking about a Sig.

Best I've seen

https://www.preppergunshop.com/mpx-magazine-sig-mag-mpx-9mm-30rd

Midway has em too at the same price now

Edited by IntenseImage