Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just bought a xl650 for my first reloader

Yibomb

Xtream bullets has a 5% sale again on 9mm copper bullets.Going with 124gr and 147gr bullets.

Forgot to add my friend has a crono. If they are only 70$ i might buy one down the road.

I have a crono for my paintball guns but that is for 300fps.

I have heard about walnut media and corn cob. there is a good thread about how everyone cleans there brass. Walnut for better cleaning, corn cob for shiny brass.

Most likely go to the pet/feed store before going to harbor freight

Edited by Yibomb

I finally reloaded some rounds! I was sorta scared when I shot the first rounds. I had my Carhart jacket on and gloves. After the first two rounds I was relieved and took off the jacket and gloves.

147gr berrys.

2.8-2.9 grains of Titegroup

COL 1.16-1.175

I went a little overboard and did alot of quality control. Used my digital caliper on all rounds. Plunk tested all of them.

It was strange that the COL was in the range of 1.16 to 1.18 (5 rounds). All my dies are locked down and I would load around 10 and check them and they would be all random.

Loaded up 52 of them and they all shot perfect. Super soft mouse farts.

Only problems were I had 3 slovepipes. Hopefully changing out the 15# spring for a 13# will help fix this problem. And I will probably add .1 grains of powder.

Edited by Yibomb

Most of the good stuff has been covered, I'll just add a few thoughts.

If you're going to mic every round, put them into separate containers so you end up with batches of the same exact length for accuracy testing. When you find the length that works best, save those for when accuracy is needed and use the rest for practice/blasting.

At a minimum, check your powder throw weights before every session. Checking weight every time you refill the hopper is better (refill when it's half empty).

A chrono is not needed unless you're working up a wildcat load or you're trying to make major. Learn what the signs of high pressure are and watch for them at all times. Since you want the softest possible ammo, I highly doubt you'll ever need a chrono.

If you ever fire a shot that doesn't feel or sound like the previous ones, STOP, and figure out what happened. If you can't figure it out on the spot, go home, pull the bullets from that batch and figure it out. The powder goes down the drain but everything else can be re-used.

Invest in a can of anti-static spray and use it every time you clean the press, especially on the interior of powder handling components. The dangers of powder bridging cannot be over-emphasized. If you can't find any spray, wiping everything with a dryer sheet works fine.

Have good lighting and commit yourself to look at the powder charge inside each and every case before a bullet goes on top.

I finally reloaded some rounds! I was sorta scared when I shot the first rounds. I had my Carhart jacket on and gloves. After the first two rounds I was relieved and took off the jacket and gloves.

147gr berrys.

2.8-2.9 grains of Titegroup

COL 1.16-1.175

I went a little overboard and did alot of quality control. Used my digital caliper on all rounds. Plunk tested all of them.

It was strange that the COL was in the range of 1.16 to 1.18 (5 rounds). All my dies are locked down and I would load around 10 and check them and they would be all random.

Loaded up 52 of them and they all shot perfect. Super soft mouse farts.

Only problems were I had 3 slovepipes. Hopefully changing out the 15# spring for a 13# will help fix this problem. And I will probably add .1 grains of powder.

That's a lot of variation. I get around .008" variation with my 650 using Blue Bullets.