Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Tape

brownnutz

I was never a fan of the manufactured pre cut grip tape . It wears really fast and I hated having to constantly change it . One day the neighbor kid was out front on his skateboard and I called him over and he some tape on there that was so gritty and sticky that just running your fingers across it took skin off . He gave me a roll of it and it's awesome , if I can figure out the manufacturer I'll post it . Between that tape and some rosin or pro grip talk about one heck of a sticky grip .

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried pretty much all options:

- Skateboard mob grip tape

- Dawson grip tape

- 3M safety walk tape

- Talon grip tape

What I use 100% now is Talon grip tape. They are more expensive, $9.99 for 5''x7'', but they have just the right thickness and grit.

Dawson has good grit but way too thick. Mob grip tape for skateboard and 3M safety walk tape are not for hands, and you can feel they are not only too thick but also too coarse.

I have used Black Magic grip tape both previously as a skateboarder and now as a shooter. In my experience, it seems to be extremely abrasive; this is both good and bad. Using it on a 2011, I have literally burned a hole through my support hand palm. The solution I found was to take a scrap piece of grip tape and use it to sand the cutout until the aggressiveness reaches your preferred level. Also, on the support side of the gun, an aggressive hand cant will slide the grip tape out of place. To prevent this, I de-grease the application surface and then use super glue around the edges of the cutout.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped at a local skateboard shop and asked about skateboard tape. The guy fished out a couple of remnant pieces (his throwaways). The piece was for more than enough in size. It is very aggressive and it was free.

for skateboard deck tape I find it works best if i make little cuts around the edges to get it to mold itself to the more complex shapes of a pistol grip and also hit it with a heat gun for a bit to help it adhere and mold to the shape.

currently i just use the rolls of 3M non-skid tape from home depot and the like and just change it all the time.

other times in the past when i've bought pre-cut i save the backing so i have a template for future use with other tapes.

I use the Tru Grip or the stuff from CPWSA.

The A zone stuff I've never tried, so I can't comment from personal experience. But I see that, for Glocks, A Zone includes tape that will fit into the slide serrations. Be advised that you won't stay in Production Division very long if an RO picks that up. The rest of the tape set for the grip proper looks legal for Production Division though.

Agreed on the Jessup, I also like the MOB tape but it's a little rougher and harder to work with but it lasts a little longer.

I used to use Pro grip with the grip tape, but with pro grip it's hard to adjust my grip if I get a bad grip. So now I only use the grip tape and carry a towel with me to make sure my Floridian sweaty hands are dry before MakeReady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought some from a local skateboard shop. A sheet large enough to cover an entire skateboard was $3 will do a lot of grips.

Once you cut out the first one keep the backer after you stick the texture on, use it as a template for the next time.

openshort.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using grip tape for years on the front strap of my 1911s. (I'm too cheap to have them checkered) But it works great. My double stack Caspian has grip tape instead of normal grip panels. I get 4" wide rolls from home depot and cut it to fit.

Fan of the 3M Safety Walk Tape. Super cheap, and pretty durable. I spend an afternoon cutting out the tape to the contours of the gun, and save the tape backside as a template for future copies. Grip is grippy but I am curious on what else is out there that may be grippier still. 

-Brian

I've got a brand new set of Talons for my M&P I never installed, I find it hard to adjust if I miss my draw. Maybe I will go ahead and toss it on, I really don't want to stipple the gun and hurt any resale value.