Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp Cleaning

Sarge

On 6/29/2016 at 5:57 PM, B_Seehawer said:

Easiest way I've done mine is with a Dremel engraving tool and a beveled nail. Like a miniature jackhammer. bd9735c17021ac45bc986965dfa40800.jpg

My buddy ended up rounding every edge off on his Limcat comp from blasting with glass beads so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed this advice and picked up one of these for when the time came where I finally had to clean my comp. Well, got a New gun (New to me)and the previous owner shot some CMJ exposed lead base bullets and the comp had some significant lead deposits. I tried running some Acme coated through it and must have put too much crimp on them or they just dont work like Blue Bullets have for me out of my previous open gun because the Lead build up got really bad. Busted out this little engraver tool and rounded off a nail like shown and described above and got to hammering. This little tool with a rounded nail is the best thing since sliced bread. The description like a mini jackhammer couldnt be more spot on. It breaks the lead and carbon off with very little effort and leaves a nice undamaged super clean comp as an end product. Thanks for the tip Seehawer!

IMG_1213.PNG

IMG_1214.PNG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also it was super satisfying to do. I almost want it to build up a shit load of lead again like it was so I can get the satisfaction of seeing the lead just flake off leaving a super clean comp.

27 minutes ago, GetAwayDriva said:

Will the 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide hurt titanium?

idk but you should just buy one of the engraver thingys lol. I wouldnt risk it dumping chemicals in there when the engraver works as well as it does. I think I read that SV also will not warranty their comp if you use solvents to clean it.

The dremel engraver works well for me, too.  I tried an old Burgess vibra etch and it didn't work nearly as well.  The dremel on high is like a little jackhammer.  I used brass rod at first, but now use a nail, also. 

I have a Tandemkross comp on my Rimfire Open gun.  I just had the same discussion as mine was way carboned up.  Ended up soaking in 50/50 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide for 9 hours.  It care out pretty clean.  Longer would have been better but I ran out of time.  After the soak I rinsed it in some hot water with baking soda to neutralize the vinegar.  No finish issues and so scraping.  I probably could have done some scraping, but didn't have the time.

In this cast TK recommends Slip 2000 Carbon Killer, but several folks stated to me that it didn't work for them.