Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRACTISCORE BEST PRACTICE

1911MAC

I have been using Practiscore for about one year now with no problems. I use it for a 6 stage IDPA match that averages around 45 shooters. Last year a week before the match I would create a match on-line & then using the get match registration feature on each tablet I would pull the match using the match code. I would then build an individual stage on each tablet ( we leave the tablet on the designated stage for the entire match ). On match day I would approve each shooter as they paid and manually add the shooters that had not pre registered. Once everyone was approved I would then pull the match again to each tablet which updated every approved shooter to the stage. This month, which was our first match this year, we had an issue. After all of the shooters were approved we pulled the match to each tablet, but instead of updating the already existing match there was a new duplicate match created with out the stages being built. It would be easy if everyone signed up ahead of time & all of this could be completed before the morning of the match but there are always several people who do not sign up early. How are you handling manually adding shooters on match day & updating the tablets before the start of the match?

Thanks in advance

I build the match on one tablet, that includes building stages, downloading preregistered competitors that have signed up using the Practiscore website, adding new competitors the morning of the match and squadding everyone.

Once the above is completed, I take each stage device and sync the match to them, you can also under stages, lock a device to a particular stage.

There is a unique ID assigned to each match. Thus the online one and the one you made in the tablet were different.

Fix for this is to pull the registration down from online, then add the stages in the tablet. You can update reg at any time so you dont have to wait till match day to put the stages in.

I build the match on one tablet, that includes building stages, downloading preregistered competitors that have signed up using the Practiscore website, adding new competitors the morning of the match and squadding everyone.

Once the above is completed, I take each stage device and sync the match to them, you can also under stages, lock a device to a particular stage.

Thanks, do you do all of this after the close time you set on the registration form? For the new competitors, do you just use the add walk on button?

There is a unique ID assigned to each match. Thus the online one and the one you made in the tablet were different.

Fix for this is to pull the registration down from online, then add the stages in the tablet. You can update reg at any time so you dont have to wait till match day to put the stages in.

I built the match on line & then used the unique ID to "get match registration" on each tablet to pull the match to the tablet. In the past when I did this more than once the tablet simply updated the existing match but this time it caused a duplicate match to be made. I am trying to avoid having to put stages in the tablets on match day, how are you updating the registration on the tablets?

Thanks, do you do all of this after the close time you set on the registration form? For the new competitors, do you just use the add walk on button?

I setup registration on the Practiscore web site. The night before the match I close registration and use the "Get Match Registration" option in the Practiscore app to download the match, competitors and squadding to one tablet, which I'll call the Master.

Next I build the stages on that Master tablet.

The morning of the match, I add any new competitors, delete no shows, then redo squadding if needed. All done on the Master tablet.

Once that is all completed, I take each stage device we need for the day, one device per stage and sync the match from the Master tablet. I also lock the device to the appropriate stage.

The stage devices are then taken out to the appropriate stage and the match begins.

While the match is in progress I sync all the stage devices to the Master tablet every few minutes to lessen the chance of lost scores in case a stage device craps out.

When the match is finished, I sync the stage devices one last time to the Master tablet, verify I have all the scores and then post the results to the appropriate website(s).

create online form ~ 2 weeks out

online--->master ~ 2 weeks out, nobody has registered yet it just pulls the match name and type down

add stages in master ~ 2 weeks out

online-->master ~ night before, or morning of

add walk ons ~ at the range

master--->stage tablets after registration closes. This pulls every shooter and the stages into the tablet. We use roaming tablets, but it would work the same. If you want you can "lock" the stage in through the build stage menu to prevent people from scoring on the wrong stage.

I built the match on line & then used the unique ID to "get match registration" on each tablet to pull the match to the tablet. In the past when I did this more than once the tablet simply updated the existing match but this time it caused a duplicate match to be made. I am trying to avoid having to put stages in the tablets on match day, how are you updating the registration on the tablets?

You don't want to be using the Walk In feature for regular "day of" registrations -- that is used for a very specific scenario which is described on the help screen you see. Just hit Edit Shooters/Squads from the main screen, and then Add Shooter #x at the bottom.

create online form ~ 2 weeks out

online--->master ~ 2 weeks out, nobody has registered yet it just pulls the match name and type down

add stages in master ~ 2 weeks out

online-->master ~ night before, or morning of

add walk ons ~ at the range

master--->stage tablets after registration closes. This pulls every shooter and the stages into the tablet. We use roaming tablets, but it would work the same. If you want you can "lock" the stage in through the build stage menu to prevent people from scoring on the wrong stage.

Thanks a lot. When you do this part :"online-->master ~ night before, or morning of

add walk ons ~ at the range" do you use "match registration" and then enter the code?

I setup registration on the Practiscore web site. The night before the match I close registration and use the "Get Match Registration" option in the Practiscore app to download the match, competitors and squadding to one tablet, which I'll call the Master.

Next I build the stages on that Master tablet.

The morning of the match, I add any new competitors, delete no shows, then redo squadding if needed. All done on the Master tablet.

Once that is all completed, I take each stage device we need for the day, one device per stage and sync the match from the Master tablet. I also lock the device to the appropriate stage.

The stage devices are then taken out to the appropriate stage and the match begins.

While the match is in progress I sync all the stage devices to the Master tablet every few minutes to lessen the chance of lost scores in case a stage device craps out.

When the match is finished, I sync the stage devices one last time to the Master tablet, verify I have all the scores and then post the results to the appropriate website(s).

Thanks I appreciate your help. I did not know you could lock the tablet to one stage.

for our club we do this....

set up pre-registration days before the match.

usually, match registration closes around 10pm the night before the match. If I'm still up, I'll get match registration using the PIN#, if not, I'll just grab it in the morning before heading out to the match.

Once at the match, we open registration. If anyone is there to shoot that hasn't pre-registered, we add them to the master tablet.

Build the stages on the master tablet if I don't do it the night before.

Sort out squads and drop/delete no-shows.

During the stage walk-throughs, I'll sync all the tablets off the master, then hand them out to the squad RO's.

After the match, the squad RO's turn in their scoring tablets and I'll sync them back to the master.

Offer up scores to anyone that has the practiscore app.

Post results to practiscore and also email results to our list of shooters.

Done.

If we need to add a shooter that shows up late, usually they'll come to my squad and I'll just add them to my scoring tablet as a regular shooter. ( just back out to enter/edit shooters and add new shooter).

Haven't had any issues since using this method. There was a small learning curve for our shooters using the nooks, but after a few matches, almost everyone's had a chance to enter scores and get used to using them. Even the "more distinguished" gentlemen have come around to the new technology.

usually, match registration closes around 10pm the night before the match. If I'm still up, I'll get match registration using the PIN#, if not, I'll just grab it in the morning before heading out to the match.

Once at the match, we open registration. If anyone is there to shoot that hasn't pre-registered, we add them to the master tablet.

During the stage walk-throughs, I'll sync all the tablets off the master, then hand them out to the squad RO's.

After the match, the squad RO's turn in their scoring tablets and I'll sync them back to the master.

Done.

If we need to add a shooter that shows up late, usually they'll come to my squad and I'll just add them to my scoring tablet as a regular shooter. ( just back out to enter/edit shooters and add new shooter).

Haven't had any issues since using this method. There was a small learning curve for our shooters using the nooks, but after a few matches, almost everyone's had a chance to enter scores and get used to using them. Even the "more distinguished" gentlemen have come around to the new technology.

That makes sense, I have been keeping registration open until match start time. I may need to close it the night before, thanks.

How we do it at Old Bridge

Registration is done online.

Registration for club members opens up two weeks prior to the match.

Registration for non-members opens up one week before the match

Registration for all closes Saturday afternoon OR when we are full (Rare int eh Summer months, usually 70 shooters in the cold and dark)

A stage request email is sent out during the week leading up to the match.

The Master Device, in our case, an IPad, is loaded with the registered shooters and the stages are built, this occurs the night before the match

Saturday night we print out the club waiver with all the registered shooters names alphabetically listed.

We also print out the squad lists and the unsquadded shooters list.

Sunday morning at the range

Shooters arrive, sign in and pay

Unregisterded shooters register, sign in and pay.

Unregistered shooters are added to the IPAd

Any changes to the stages are made

The Nooks are synced to the IPad

Squad lists are finalized.

Each Stage gets a Nook, they do not travel. We lose a Nook we lose a Stage, not a match!

Squadding is NOT done in the Nooks, they are set to ALL SHOOTERS.

Squads are called, stage briefs are handed out along with the timers and Nooks.

After the Match all Nooks are returned to me and are synced back to the Ipad.

We collect the squad sheets and any required updates or changes are made, E.G., Member Number, Division, Power Factor that we might have missed during sign up.No-Shows are deleted if I didn’t get to that that earlier and preliminary scores are posted.

Match Construction

Stages are vetted prior to the match and are put on the ground by the shooters. We have aa trailer for each stage with walls, target stands, sticks, steel targets etc. They are pulled out to the respective pit and the Stage Designer and his buddies generally build the stage. One of our MDs walks all stages to make sure they are in compliance with the rules and are safe as well as making sure any movers are properly set up and functional.

We do the match brief, make any announcements, call out the squads and it is Hammer Time!

Usually start the build about 0700, hammer down about 1000, we are usually at the Diner by 1700. On occasion we are done earlier. Six Stages plus a Classifier, usually 160 plus rounds, lots of walls, runs, movers and steel.

• 1 month later...

We just switched to Practiscore this year from Uberscore. We don't have a decent internet connection so Practiscore has been much more efficient. Anyway, I'm having trouble emailing scores to shooters after the match. I have them uploaded to Practiscore.com, but when I click email shooters (on android tablet) it opens up in Gmail with a link in the body, but the "To:" field is blank. Any suggestions? Do I need to manually create a group that contains the emails for all shooters? I imagined that Practiscore would do this on it's own. Thanks.

The ios app does have this option, but it is a shaky ground to mass email to all shooters using regular email. Too easy to get black listed as spammer. So, I was always hesitant to add that into the app. I'd recommend to use your own mail list right now.

Maybe in the future we'll be able to add this to the results web site and use one of the mass mailing services... Someone just need to bug Ken about that.

We just switched to Practiscore this year from Uberscore. We don't have a decent internet connection so Practiscore has been much more efficient. Anyway, I'm having trouble emailing scores to shooters after the match. I have them uploaded to Practiscore.com, but when I click email shooters (on android tablet) it opens up in Gmail with a link in the body, but the "To:" field is blank. Any suggestions? Do I need to manually create a group that contains the emails for all shooters? I imagined that Practiscore would do this on it's own. Thanks.

Just get them use to going to practiscore to find it.

Or if you have a club web-page I put a results link on our club web-page

for the computer challenged to find it.

The ios app does have this option, but it is a shaky ground to mass email to all shooters using regular email. Too easy to get black listed as spammer. So, I was always hesitant to add that into the app. I'd recommend to use your own mail list right now.

Maybe in the future we'll be able to add this to the results web site and use one of the mass mailing services... Someone just need to bug Ken about that.

Thanks for the clarification. I assume the same situation applies to letting shooters know when registration has opened?

Done.

That pretty much describes the way we do it at our club also.

The online registration has really saved us a ton of time on shooting day.

AD

You can email all the shooters from the match from Practiscore on the web. We don't do so from the tablets.

Find the completed match in the club section.

Choose manage shooters -> approve/view shooters

In the upper right is "Email shooters". Use that to email out the link to the Practiscore results.

That's out range SOP.