Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 3-Gun Bag?

The Hogue double rifle bag. It's big enough to hold my VM with a 12 round tube. Plus it's built like a tank with lots of cool features

+1. The bag is a beast but I love it.

I have the Midway, and while it's long enough for my 12 round mag tube, the quality of the stitching is poor, and the back panel hiding the backpack straps has already ripped. Part of the reason is that when you're using the backpack straps, the flap of fabric that covers them just sort of flaps around, and isn't secured by anything. Not sure if I can even fix this thing so I might end up ripping it apart.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone tried the Cannae Triplex Acies?

I'm tired of carrying so many thing separately. I usually carry two bags (one bag for each long gun) and a small backpack for other things such as food, ammo, clothes etc. All hands are thus tied up, and when you walk the shoulder straps start slipping.. :P If I only could carry everything in some sort of backpack.. Will the Triplex do the job?

Eberlerstock Gunslinger 2 is another interesting option, but it's more expensive and maybe a little overkill. Eberlerstock also have the Upranger, but it doesn't loog very comfortable, and is also expensive.

Edited by 2Xalpha

1 hour ago, 2Xalpha said:

What does the Hogue do better? 

Well, in my opinion, quite a bit.

• Drag handle on the end to pull it easily out of a vehicle.
  • Pouches are bigger and hold more mags.  4 AR mags on that Cannae bag?  I've got (2) 20rd mags, (2) 30rd mags, (1) 35rd mag, (1) 40rd mag, (1) 45rd mag, (2) coupled 30rd mags, and a Magpul D60 in an Hogue XL.  That allows different stage round counts and/or different length mag capability for weird height shooting positions.  All those, plus I throw my electronic muffs in one of the pouches, plus the pouches expand so other stuff can fit in there along with all those mags.  There is enough room that I can have those mags in there plus throw in extra shotgun shell caddies if needed.  
  • A sizeable external zippered utility pouch
  • Better padding throughout, including between the two long guns.
  • No extended mag tube condom sticking out the end (similar to the Safariland bag) that isn't padded and isn't going to protect the tube.  The Hogue XL fits a Benelli M2 with 12rd mag tube internally and padded.
  • The external soft pocket for eye pro on the Cannae bag looks useless........good way to get your glasses broken since you know people will throw other bags in with yours in vehicles or accidentally step on your bag at crowded stages, etc.  Sounds funny, but stuff happens like that.  Have seen people step on/stumble over the SG tube condom on the Safariland bag, for example. The Hogue bag actually has a structured and padded separate small zippered pocket in the rifle section to put items that need protection ......cellphones, eye pro, whatever.
  • Build quality looks much better on the Hogue.  The mag pouches on the Cannae look thin and tear away or weaken over time with that cheap elastic retention on the top of the pouch.
  • Pouches have cinch cord and elastic bands on the Hogue.
  • Stitching is beast on the Hogue.
  • One positive is that the Cannae bag has pistol mag pouches.  Not sure I'd use them since I keep pistol and mags in a separate bag.  Only time a lot of people bother to consolidate long guns + pistol + mags + SG loaders + ammo is walking to stages that are back in natural terrain areas where you cannot park that closely and can’t get a 3gun cart there…………Let’s say you did have pistol, pistol mags, AR mags, SG, and rifle in that bag…..still not enough room for ammo and shotgun loaders, so a separate bag needed…..so the pistol mag section and pistol strap-down section seems somewhat restrictive, although I’m sure it fits some people’s want.  If you were carrying loaded mags and stuff to a single stage or two, then the Cannae bag could work ok for that easily enough though.
  • The other positive for the Cannae is that it has backpack straps, something that Hogue *still* hasn't *#%*#%(#  released, even after starting several years ago that they would.  That is the one downside of the Hogue bag.

More detail on the Hogue XL here.

Thanks for a very detailed reply.

Another bag that may suit our needs is the new Ulfhednar dual rifle bag which has backpack straps built into it. It comes in two lengths, 125 and 140 cm (49 and 55 inches). A demo can be seen in the video below at about 1:20.

The Brownells bag fits perfectly into the lid of my Patriot Cases hard travel case thereby making it the best 3gun bag for travel.

When traveling by car I use a voodoo innovation double rifle bag, a beretta double shotgun bag and a shooters connection pistol bag.  I figure Why try to stuff all 3-guns into one bag when each gun has too many accessories to fit in its own bag.

Thanks. I'm now leaning more towards a small backpack for the handgun and all the range accessories, and carrying the long guns in separate bags. Deciding between the GPS Handgunner and Tactical backpacks. Any pros and cons between the two?

I have been using the Midway bag for a couple of years. I use a relatively short shotgun so the bag is long and a little floppier than I would like because of the excess length. It would be fine if I would get a longer shotgun.

Thanks. I'm now leaning more towards a small backpack for the handgun and all the range accessories, and carrying the long guns in separate bags. Deciding between the GPS Handgunner and Tactical backpacks. Any pros and cons between the two?

Wish I could help there. Been using the Handgunner for a while and pretty happy about it, but curious about the Tactical as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...