Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Core in Production

brownnutz

Hey all!

After trying out a few striker fire guns, I picked up a 9mm 5" M&P Core with an APEX trigger. I love the way it shoots and the way it feels right in my hand. Problem is, I want to stay with Production and I believe it's a no no with the trigger swap. What are my options here? Thanks in advance!

-TheN00b

You could put a stock sear and trigger back into it. (If you don't have the parts, I'll give them to you, I have a bunch). That would make it production legal (assuming there aren't any other external modifications). Or you could shoot Limited Minor

You could put a stock sear and trigger back into it. (If you don't have the parts, I'll give them to you, I have a bunch). That would make it production legal (assuming there aren't any other external modifications). Or you could shoot Limited Minor

Thanks for the reply Bk. I was just about to say I could shoot Limited Minor but funny enough, I like the 10rd mag capacity. If I replace the APEX with a stock trigger, would I necessarily need to replace the sear with the stock one as well?

What do you want for the stock trigger/sear? And correct, there are no external modifications.

Depends on what Apex kit is installed. If you have the DCAEK, you can run the stock trigger with the AEK parts to get back into production.
If using the FSS though, you can't easily use the stock trigger, though I believe some people have managed to make it fit.

Depends on what Apex kit is installed. If you have the DCAEK, you can run the stock trigger with the AEK parts to get back into production.

If using the FSS though, you can't easily use the stock trigger, though I believe some people have managed to make it fit.

Thanks for the reply as well Dom. I guess I will have to pull it all apart to find out what exactly is installed.I didn't get the stock trigger when I picked it up so, like you said, I'm wondering if it was a DCAEK or just the trigger that was replaced.

Just found out that it is the FSS and trigger soooooo, either shoot limited or limited-10 or pull it all out and start from scratch to shoot production. If the latter, I'd still need a stock trigger and sear. lol.

Going back to factory, or even AEK with stock trigger will feel so much worse than the FSS. I'd just shoot limited or L10.

I currently shoot a 9 Pro in IDPA ESP and 40 C.O.R.E. in USPSA Limited, both 5" with FSS, mag-wells, base pads, etc and would hate to shoot production/ssp.

Going back to factory, or even AEK with stock trigger will feel so much worse than the FSS. I'd just shoot limited or L10.

I currently shoot a 9 Pro in IDPA ESP and 40 C.O.R.E. in USPSA Limited, both 5" with FSS, mag-wells, base pads, etc and would hate to shoot production/ssp.

That's fair Dom. I am just getting into it (read: Have shot 3 matches total with a Sig 228 and a stock M&P9). Those matches I shot in Production were a tremendous learning experience for me. From learning how I deal with stress, to learning different techniques from all the other shooters...I wanted to stay at least somewhat competitive.

I just checked the FSS package w/ trigger and probably should just stay with that since I have been practicing with that. I don't want to take it all down, switch to the stock trigger with AEK and RAM, and end up hating the results...or not liking it as much.

I guess I should read up more on the USPSA rules for Limited and go from there. Thanks for the help!!!

Thanks for the reply Bk. I was just about to say I could shoot Limited Minor but funny enough, I like the 10rd mag capacity. If I replace the APEX with a stock trigger, would I necessarily need to replace the sear with the stock one as well?

What do you want for the stock trigger/sear? And correct, there are no external modifications.

Replied to your PM, it's yours for the price of postage. I have no use for them.

I suggest that after reinstalling the stock trigger parts, you send you're gun to Pedro Ortiz in Savanna - he's the best with M&Ps. He did both my limited and production M&Ps - short take up, break at 2.5-2.75 lbs and little over travel.

His web site is http://www.ortizcustomguns.com

Thanks for the info Adam!! I will keep that in mind

Update:

I shot a small USPSA match at the NRA last night. I had registered as production and decided to shoot limited minor to see what it was all about (I don't have a # yet :) ). While I liked the extra capacity, knowing I was the overwhelming underdog kinda messed with my head and I shot like poo. I did however like shooting in general and it's all about learning and having fun right! That said, I may just get some taran +5 basepads, suck it up, shoot ALL alphas, and just have fun out there!

Thank you as well Bk for the offer. If I decide to go back that route, I will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

im in the same place as you. I ordered my first M&P off gunbroker with the Apex Forward Set Aluminum Trigger kit in it so I could shoot ESP. Sadly enough the club in the town im moving to is ditching IDPA and only doing USPSA. Guess I'll have to suck it up and shoot limited or limited 10. It's my first M&P so don't know if I can just swap out the visible trigger and shoot it in production.

Isn't there a model of M&P that has an Apex kit in it from the factory? That would make any M&P with that kit in it Prod legal.

I think what you're thinking about is the Pro and Performance Center models, which come with a different sear. Not sure if the Pro and PC models both come with the same sear, but supposedly they are better than the stock ones. I'm pretty sure the springs are the same in every gun, though.

im in the same place as you. I ordered my first M&P off gunbroker with the Apex Forward Set Aluminum Trigger kit in it so I could shoot ESP. Sadly enough the club in the town im moving to is ditching IDPA and only doing USPSA. Guess I'll have to suck it up and shoot limited or limited 10. It's my first M&P so don't know if I can just swap out the visible trigger and shoot it in production.

It is my understanding that you can swap the physical trigger and sear to get back in production. I do not think you can use the sear from the FSS package because it isn't "compatible" with the stock trigger.

I do have a 4.25" M&P with a DCAEK that I'd trade ya for it tho :) It's DEFINITELY legal for Production :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

There are people that have made the FSS work with the factory M&P trigger by tuning the loop, mixing and matching spring and some time with the firing pin plunger and firing pin.

Not worth the hassle/frustration imo,... Options:

Just shoot limited as is

Replace fss with factory M&P and send to Burwell

Repace with factory and follow Burnell tuning guide

Replace with factory and use Apex comp spring kit (you may need to load with Winchester SPP or Federal primers)

Do a search on lite strikes and understand the timing of the fire control group on M&P's if you are going to mix and match parts. Apex has great kits if you keep it all as Apex designed. Problem is S&W has had a few changes here and there, trigger bar, plunger and sear etc.

My Pro and Performance Center pistols had slight variations from each other. The plunger, springs, and triger bar adjustment. PC Ported Pro with factory triger and Apex comp spring kit was quite impressive!

I just had some Issues with CCI primers,.... SB, Winchester and Federal were not an issue. Ultimately I replaced the Apex striker spring with the Wolf reduced power striker spring and have not had any issues.

Well,... That is after trying 11,12 and 13lbs recoil springs with less than perfect results that is.

Best of luck

There are people that have made the FSS work with the factory M&P trigger by tuning the loop, mixing and matching spring and some time with the firing pin plunger and firing pin.

Not worth the hassle/frustration imo,... Options:

Just shoot limited as is

Replace fss with factory M&P and send to Burwell

Repace with factory and follow Burnell tuning guide

Replace with factory and use Apex comp spring kit (you may need to load with Winchester SPP or Federal primers)

Do a search on lite strikes and understand the timing of the fire control group on M&P's if you are going to mix and match parts. Apex has great kits if you keep it all as Apex designed. Problem is S&W has had a few changes here and there, trigger bar, plunger and sear etc.

My Pro and Performance Center pistols had slight variations from each other. The plunger, springs, and triger bar adjustment. PC Ported Pro with factory triger and Apex comp spring kit was quite impressive!

I just had some Issues with CCI primers,.... SB, Winchester and Federal were not an issue. Ultimately I replaced the Apex striker spring with the Wolf reduced power striker spring and have not had any issues.

Well,... That is after trying 11,12 and 13lbs recoil springs with less than perfect results that is.

Best of luck