Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Grip Comparison

turbopower18

Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a steel grip for my 2011. Ive had the chance to handle a SVI Tactical and Aggressive grip but not a CK Arms. I really like the Aggressive SVI Grip texture. Can someone with experience with the CK chime in and give me a texture comparison with it to the SVI as noone local to me runs a CK Arms grip

Thanks in Advance

I own a Svi aggressive grip and believe it's the best money can buy. CK arms is a great grip as well but not enough texture for me as metal grips go. I have not a shot with a CK grip but did check one out at shot show this year and it was just ok to me. Hope this helps.

Sorry, I don't have a lot to contribute, but do have a question.

I have an SVI standard texture signature steel grip, I am very interested in upgrading to a tactical or aggressive one. Would you be able to explain in more detail your opinion, and the feeling of each, and if you can, how they compare to the standard one?

For me the aggressive grip isn't offensive to my hands, however if I miss my grip a little adjusting it is not so easy. The tactical pattern is not as sticky in this regard. The standard or tactical are a little prone to slip if your hands get sweaty and you don't use pro grip. I settled on skate tape grip as coarse or fine grits can be used as desired and don't slip with moisture.

I have a ck grip. I feel like it is grippy enough but it will not make you bleed (not even close). I don't have experience with the svi grips but the PT grip that a friend had was "sharper" and a bit more g4ippy but when doing a mag change it was harder to shift my grip to maneuver it. They are both very good grips so i don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Since we are on the topic of steel grips I have a pt textured grip(not aggressive) and and in the process of replacing worn out parts and stripped it down to bare metal to recoat it. Curious what you guys are coating your grips with? A couple places local to me offer cerekote but not sure how it would be on the grip, don't want to loose any grip. Sorry for the thread hijack but my search came up with no results. Thanks for any input on this??

Edited by Brian04rs

Brian04rs -

Cerakote won't be a problem at all on the PT Aggressive grip. Mine is a SS aggressive grip and is Cerakoted. Didn't lose any of the texturing. I believe if applied properly Cerakote film thickness is on the order of 0.001 - 0.002". You won't notice a thing. Mine is also holding up quite well. The only wear in the coating is where it goes into the Racemaster holster.

Engineer Eli if you do upgrade and want to sell your current one please let me know.

Honestly I'd love to do the upgrade, but it probably wont happen for A WHILE... And, when I do, I plan to see if I can have a local smith fit the current grip to my back up STI Apeiro. Sorry. Anyone know if you can do that, fit a grip that comes off of an SVI onto an STI frame?

For me the SV aggressive feels like fighting a porcupine. I don't like grip lotions or anything on my hands so it works well for me with sweat, oil, or even half of the exxon valdez. After the first stage of the day I don't notice it at all but it sticks wherever you put it.

Plus, you can always shave some of the spike off, but putting more on is a little tougher.

I've held SVI steel grip and it felt great in my hands. However, I have PT aggressive texture in steel and titanium, I wouldn't trade them for anything. It may be too aggressive for some people but anything less feels like cotton balls.

Do metal grips load and function as smooth as plastic? Also really curious how the PT Ti grip is holding up.

Thanks,

Rasyad

Probably smoother than plastic. Very easy to sand & polish the mag area of the grip and it is VERY slick for loading. Also with a metal grip, unless you're King Kong, you won't be able to squeeze it hard enough to have any issues dropping a mag free like you can with plastic. The only caveat is that metal grips are a little more demanding of the mag being inserted squarely. If you have the mag clocked, you won't be able to keep pushing it in and eventually get it aligned. But that's nothing dry fire and practice (and a good magwell) won't cure.

I don't have a PT Ti grip myself, but I do know they have never had an issue with any of the Ti grips produced and fielded.

I second that on the reloads needing to be a bit more precise. They drop free easier but if the mag is rotationally out of alignment it can get stuck. That being said its one of the best things I've added to my pistol??

Cha-lee

How grippy is the CK grip compared to the stock DVC grip?

Thanks

To me the stippling of the DVC grip and the texture on the CK grip feels like it produces about the same amount of friction. Neither are overly aggressive, which is probably a good thing. But realistically who cares? If you need more friction just put some grip tape on it. Personally I prefer smooth grips so I can put grip tape where I need it and leave it off of where I don't.