Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Franchi Affinity as an alternative to Stoeger M3000 & M3K or Benel

JamesF

I finally got my hands on a Franchi Affinity and made a video comparing it to my Benelli M2 with 3-gun in mind.

I think the Franchi is Benelli's idea of what a Stoeger should be. It has a lot more Benelli DNA and many of the Stoeger caveats don't apply.

This shotgun has been severely overlooked in the 3-gun world in my opinion. For 200-300 more than a Stoeger and ~400 less than an M2, you get most of the Benelli quality and better parts compatibility with the M2 to boot.

My post count isn't high enough to post links yet, but if you search for "Franchi Affinity vs Benelli M2 for 3-Gun" on YouTube, it's the first result. Maybe someone can hotlink the vid for me!

If you're not comfortable making parts fit, being able to drop in an unmodified Taran Tactical extended carrier is nice. You can do that on the Stoeger with some filing or dremeling but it won't work out of the box.

M2 charging handles also fit without modification.

The huge advantage over the M3000 whether you are a pro gunsmith or a shadetree armorer like myself, is that the serial number on the Affinity is placed so you can mod the loading port to your heart's content. The serial number location on the Stoeger is really annoying.

Somebody wanna hotlink my video? :D

Edited by JamesF

If you're not comfortable making parts fit, being able to drop in an unmodified Taran Tactical extended carrier is nice. You can do that on the Stoeger with some filing or dremeling but it won't work out of the box.

M2 charging handles also fit without modification.

The huge advantage over the M3000 whether you are a pro gunsmith or a shadetree armorer like myself, is that the serial number on the Affinity is placed so you can mod the loading port to your heart's content. The serial number location on the Stoeger is really annoying.

Somebody wanna hotlink my video? :D

The serial number is the only thing that "I feel" is an issue (and the M3k solves that). I don't have a need for the altered lifter nor the bolt handle...But we do like to personalize our gear with "chrome bits"

The Italian build quality is the biggest buying point in my humble opinion.

And for the record....I am no longer sponsored by Benelli / Stoeger.

I did not know that about the M3K! But I also haven't seen one in the wild. Where are they all going?

The extended carrier is a must IMO. I tried practicing my load with the factory carrier on the Franchi after I opened up the port (vid soon) and I had to swap my M2's trigger group in almost immediately. That forked devil has it in for my thumb.

As for the bolt handle, the only reason I like having a bigger round one is doing weak hand slug changeovers. I can hold the gun comfortably against my shoulder with my right index finger wrapped around the handle holding the bolt back (and the whole gun up) while I pop the slug into the ejection port with my left hand. Doing that with the factory bolt handle is pretty painful.

• 2 weeks later...

How much of the parts are interchangeable between Bm2 and the Franchi . I have a M3K on hold. But the Franchi has really peaked my interest! Specifically after waching your video.i like both the M3K and Franchi but like everyone looking for function and best bang for my buck theboth seem like really good options for the novice like my self

For 3-gun purposes, enough parts interchange that you can set one up for 3-gun pretty easily.

Parts that fit with no mods:

M2 carriers (like the TTI extended carrier.)

M2 bolt handles

M2 hammers

Stoeger M2000 extension tubes (Nordic)

Parts that fit with minor mods:

M2 safeties

M2 oversized bolt release (M2 requires same mod in fairness)

I'm setting the Franchi up in my vid for 3-gun but I'm still too new and untrustworthy to post links. Subscribe to my channel and you'll get the vids as they come out.

I am almost finished setting my Franchi Affinity up for 3-Gun. I did not discover this thread or the above video until recently. I spent some time reviewing pictures and videos of various corresponding Franchi and Benelli parts and decided to experiment about six months ago. I put the TTI Benelli carrier in (fits perfectly), the TTI extended safety on, and a Nordic extension tube with lightweight teflon follower. I'm having a gunsmith put the Briley extended bolt release on and am having the loading port opened (not as much as some people) and beveled (professionally). I really like the gun. I've shot it in two two-gun matches and did well. It does have better fit and finish than the Stoeger, but I may be getting an M3k 3-Gun as backup (and even use in some matches).

My buddy bought the franchi as an alternative to the benelli. He got it for a steal at about 400 on clearance from dicks sporting goods. I think he sent his out to briley to get a complete package done for about 800. So he will have a complete 3 gun ready shotgun for 12-1300 bucks. Not bad if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am almost finished setting my Franchi Affinity up for 3-Gun. I did not discover this thread or the above video until recently. I spent some time reviewing pictures and videos of various corresponding Franchi and Benelli parts and decided to experiment about six months ago. I put the TTI Benelli carrier in (fits perfectly), the TTI extended safety on, and a Nordic extension tube with lightweight teflon follower. I'm having a gunsmith put the Briley extended bolt release on and am having the loading port opened (not as much as some people) and beveled (professionally). I really like the gun. I've shot it in two two-gun matches and did well. It does have better fit and finish than the Stoeger, but I may be getting an M3k 3-Gun as backup (and even use in some matches).

Cool! That's about what I did... I looked at them in person, and examined pictures of parts and parts diagrams and compared that to what I knew about my M2.

It makes sense that Benelli didn't reinvent the wheel, especially if (as I suspect) many of these parts are made on the same equipment in the same facility.

Were I you, I'd wait on another Affinity to go on sale vs. getting the M3K since you'll have more parts commonality.

ETA: whereabouts are you in Iowa? We run 3-gun matches in Osceola.

Edited by JamesF

James:

Only store in immediate area that carries Franchi/Benelli is Scheels (and they are pricey). I live about 3.5 hours away from you (Western side of state near SD/NE border). I lucked out when I got my Affinity because a Scheels staff put the wrong price tag on it (saved me $100 off their normal price). Local gun shops cannot get Benelli/Franchi guns. There is a hunting/gun shop about 45 minutes away that has the Stoeger M3K for about $580. Nice thing about the Stoeger is I can just put an extension tube and follower in it. Setting up another Franchi would cost an additional $300-$400 over the cost of the gun.

Edited by Steppenwolf

Able's and other online shops have decent deals on the Franchis. Have one transferred to your local FFL.

That sucks about where you're at, not sure what 3-gun matches are local to you. Make sure you check out the "3-Gun Iowa" Facebook group. There's a "USPSA Iowa" Facebook group as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Up until last year I ran an Affinity for 3 years...it made it through some tough matches (Ironman, RM3G, TX Multi), but I got scared something was gonna break so I switched to a 1301.

I can't seem to get the Beretta to pattern very well so I'm considering going back to the Affinity. You do have to run hotter shells to keep it running when you put more than 9-10 shells in the tube.

I had C-Rums mod the lifter and put an XS sight on the rib for slugs.

Its a great shotgun IMHO.

Powderman81

Nice! Do you intend to do quads? That port looks pretty conservative.

If the internal work is done correctly, you do not need to take off a bunch of material.

This ^ (plus my thumb/fingers are long and slender"ish") and gunsmith tweaked accordingly.

• 10 months later...