Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI-Wolff springs

jtrump

I did some test on brand new in the bag Wolff and is is ISMI springs with a spring tester and the wolfs almost dead on and the ISMI one and a half to two pounds short of the weight listed on the bag.

Buy a spring tester.they are cheap at about $40 and test them out. It's good to have one around if you have a lot of 1911 springs laying around

Hello: Ok I have found that the Wolff spring have not been as stated on the package. The ISMI and Sprinco are closer to there listed specs. I usually test them after 200 rounds or so. The spring will take a set and it will give you the spring weight that they are. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

What have you found out about the wolff springs, over or under sprung from what was written on the package? And what does the ISMI do after say 200 rounds according to your spring tester? Because this goes against pretty much everything I've heard about wolff and ISMI? Just covering all bases.

Hello: I bought about 5 Wolff recoil springs a couple of years ago and tested all of them. Everyone was different and they were heavier than what was stated on the package. I then bought 5 ISMI recoil springs and tested all of those and they were very close to what the package said. I ran the springs and checked them again. They were a little shorter but almost right on there stated weight. The Wolff springs shortened quickly and the weight was all over the place still. I understand Wolff make chrome silicon springs now since ISMI did that years ago to get some of the market back I guess. I have been told that Sprinco test all there springs but I have only used two of their springs and they were correct and still lighter than Wolff springs for the same weight listed on the package. I guess it really does not matter to some if they put in a 10lb spring and it works for them but if they replace that spring with a new one that says 10lbs but feels different then what? I test my springs before they go in and about every 4 months to see what they are. I also test it when I change it out for a new one. I am not trying to start a spring war but this is what I found out personally. So my conclusion is if you like to test stuff, is buy or make a spring tester and use it like a comparator so you replace your spring you like, with one that is the same. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric,

Anyone had similar, or varying results to the above? Right now I'm using a 12lb variable wolff spring and it still seems to heavy for the 169PF load of n320 I'm running, I ordered some 11lb springs to see if that will help.. I just want a consistent spring ;)

I did some test on brand new in the bag Wolff and is is ISMI springs with a spring tester and the wolfs almost dead on and the ISMI one and a half to two pounds short of the weight listed on the bag.

Buy a spring tester.they are cheap at about $40 and test them out. It's good to have one around if you have a lot of 1911 springs laying around

Do you have a link to the one you have? It would be helpful to have one. Thanks.

Do you have a link to the one you have? It would be helpful to have one. Thanks.

here ya go

https://www.dillonprecision.com/secure-firearms-products-1911-recoil-spring-tester_8_30_25940.html

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used ISMI recoil springs for several years and I liked them. However, if I ran them (40sw Ltd pistol, 5inch) past

4 thousand rounds I had some problems. I had two break up near the muzzle end. One was at the Gator Classic.

I was shooting with Bobby Keigans (FGW) team. I had a replacement spring (ISMI) in my bag, but when Bobby

checked it he discovered that the spring was binding (it was a little to long) and that was causing them to break.

If I replaced them at 3 thousand, then I did not have any problems.

The Wolff springs do not bind and I can run them 5 thousand plus with no issues. I realize that recoil springs do

not cost much, so replacing them after 3K is not a problem. Both springs are 12 pound and I run a CP Buff.

Just letting you know what I have experienced.

Ronj

if the springs are binding/stacking before the slide gets to full travel then you need to cut the appropriate number of coils off so it's the correct length. This is the case with all springs. they are generally all a little over length to ensure they'll fit the longest possible setup. anything short of that needs some coils cut.

• 2 months later...

I used ISMI recoil springs for several years and I liked them. However, if I ran them (40sw Ltd pistol, 5inch) past

4 thousand rounds I had some problems. I had two break up near the muzzle end. One was at the Gator Classic.

I was shooting with Bobby Keigans (FGW) team. I had a replacement spring (ISMI) in my bag, but when Bobby

checked it he discovered that the spring was binding (it was a little to long) and that was causing them to break.

If I replaced them at 3 thousand, then I did not have any problems.

The Wolff springs do not bind and I can run them 5 thousand plus with no issues. I realize that recoil springs do

not cost much, so replacing them after 3K is not a problem. Both springs are 12 pound and I run a CP Buff.

Just letting you know what I have experienced.

Ronj

How did Bobby check to determine that the spring was too long? Could he feel it binding somehow?

• 8 months later...

I was having feed issues with a wolf 17lb mainspring, so I switched to an ISMI 17lb mainspring and it's much lighter, but my feed issues are gone and the 5" STI is now time correctly and reliability has been fantastic.