Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major brass. Keep it or chuck it?

Targetpractice

When I had a 9 Open gun, I always used range brass. Never had a problem. I reloaded my used brass sometimes, but most of the time let it lay. After all, that is why I shot 9mm...so I didn't spend time picking up brass.

I separate my brass and I reload the American stuff (Win, Federal, Speer, etc) 5 times. I only use this brass when I'm practicing or shooting at an indoor range where I can pick up brass without slowing the match down. I mark the case with different colored Sharpies depending on which load they're on. Outdoor matches I use the non American brass and leave it lay.

So 9mm brass for major open is only good for one load. Is all head stamp bass good in 9mm. I'm not sure on next open gun if I want to go to 9mm or stay with 38s/sc,

No it is not you can reload 9 mm major brass at least 6/7 times , i did this for brass i used in training ( lots of time to pick it up ).

Normaly when i used it 6/7 times i would leave it at a match .

Even with 9mm Major, I load it until I lose it. For matches where I can't pick up brass, I'll load my oldest brass and not worry about losing all of it; during practice I'll pick it up and load it again.

I would not use any of the 9mm brass that looks like it has a "shelf" halfway down the inside of the case in a match as it has a tendency to separate at that point. Could use it for practice but I'd just save it up and sell for scrap brass along with all used primers.

I pick up my spent brass... after carefully inspecting , I de-prime it on a separate RCBS jr press, then wet pin clean .. when de-priming my brass if the spent primers seem to come out easily.. I throw them in my recycle bucket... after loading I check EVERY round in a case gauge.. only have had 2 case failures in many thousands of rounds fired..

Edited by cecil

clean and inspect. toss the cases you don't like.

I think, I'd ask what pistols the 9mm major re-loaders are

re-loading to feed.

I would think tight chambers would be easier on the brass.

... I don't know if any pistol has a reputation for a tight chamber.

or if any headstamp is known to be pointedly better for major.

miranda

I shoot them until they look ugly and then turn them into .40 bullets and shoot them out of my limited guns.

L to R:

195 gr. JHP

195 gr. JHP dual cannelure for revolver

210 gr. JSP

240 gr. JHP made out of a 9x23 case

post-922-0-28608800-1458334524_thumb.jpg

Very cool! I've seen occasional links to swaging cases for bullets, never seen that.

If it's not split I load it for 9 minor. Lots of before/after inspecting. Anything that fails the case gauge and isn't obviously damaged gets shot as practice ammo - and my Tanfo(s) happily consume it.