Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken extractor

jrswanson1

While getting some trigger time in yesterday, my Canadian built P16-40 jammed. I dropped the mag, and saw the empty sitting in the chamber. After popping it out with a cleaning rod, I noticed half of the extractor sitting on the bench. I got this pistol used back in 2009 or 2010. I had some work done on it and had the original extractor replaced since it was pretty worn. From looking at the broken end, it looks like it was MIM. Looks like it's going back to the smith. :angry2:

While getting some trigger time in yesterday, my Canadian built P16-40 jammed. I dropped the mag, and saw the empty sitting in the chamber. After popping it out with a cleaning rod, I noticed half of the extractor sitting on the bench. I got this pistol used back in 2009 or 2010. I had some work done on it and had the original extractor replaced since it was pretty worn. From looking at the broken end, it looks like it was MIM. Looks like it's going back to the smith. :angry2:

Some time back, Para extractors were not MIM, they were CAST which is even worse as far as strength and density goes. I was pretty shocked they put such a cheap part into my 1640 LDA which was about a $1200 gun.

The extractor is definitely one piece in mine. I dropped her off at my smith. I'll expect a call in about 3 months :goof::(

I hope you are kidding about three months.

Nope. My 1911 gunsmith is pretty backed up. I know how to change out the extractor, but I figure I'll get a refresh while it's in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the gun back today. Remington sent my smith a free replacement. Yes, it's a known problem and Remington, even though I'm not the original owner, sent the part gratis. Maybe I should send them the bill for the work, too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...