Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights on new handguns

doubletap45

I'm not picking on any particular brand, I have the same issue with others as well. I just bought a Ruger 22-45 Lite today and took it to the range. At 50 feet the front sight is so wide it covers the 10 ring on the targets I'm shooting at. Same thing with a Glock 19 I bought recently. Are manufactures these days putting ridiculously large sights on guns these days or am I just getting too picky in my old age?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had to put narrower sights on the 2 pistols I just bought. Both came with .140" wide sights which is about as wide as the notch of the rear sight.

But, front sights are designed to be under the target, or the top of the front sight splitting the target. So technically it shouldn't block it at all even if it's wide. I personally don't do that though - I got into the bad habit of target behind the dot, so my sight post blocks small targets at a distance. For all practical purposes I can see enough around the sight post to hit wherever I need to, but I needed a .100" front sight to make that happen.

My comment on covering the bullseye was just to make a point on the width. Not to comment on my hold. Since the original post I have tried a method I've used on other pistols which is painting the front sight yellow. It seems to work maybe due to the contrast. Since this particular pistol has a very easy to change front sight I think I'll try some of the aftermarket versions too. Adult tinkertoy sets. Gotta love em.

How much room should there be between the edges of a front sight and the sides of the rear sight? I really bombed a match this past weekend with an unfamiliar gun and I think it was largely due to the sights. There was so much room side to side in the sight picture and it was 3 dot instead of red fiber + plain black rear, so under stress and speed I was missing TONS of shots I shouldn't have because the picture wasn't telling me what I needed to know--I would have rather not seen the front sight at all unless I was correctly aligned and thus know to correct myself rather than seeing it all kinds of ways and still be way wrong. What is the proper size combination to achieve this and be effective?

I'm not picking on any particular brand, I have the same issue with others as well. I just bought a Ruger 22-45 Lite today and took it to the range. At 50 feet the front sight is so wide it covers the 10 ring on the targets I'm shooting at. Same thing with a Glock 19 I bought recently. Are manufactures these days putting ridiculously large sights on guns these days or am I just getting too picky in my old age?

Just shot my bosses new 22/45 Lite, it's not just you, those sights are HUGE! I like the front sight to be my aiming point, I don't like having to find the center of the front sight then try to place it on the center of an obscured target.

• 11 months later...
On 3/16/2016 at 9:09 PM, yellowfin said:

How much room should there be between the edges of a front sight and the sides of the rear sight?

The most common setup in USPSA seems to involve having a front post half the width of the rear notch. So 25% daylight, 50% front post, then 25% daylight is what you see through the notch.

I like that system, although I think a thin post and a thin notch (1/3 the width of the sight on either side, instead of 1/2) is more precise at distance.

Regardless, the sights need to be set up so that when you shift your focus away from the dot to the corners and make hard shots with an "equal height, equal light" sight picture... you know precisely where your rounds will land. I prefer them impacting right at the top of the front post at 25yd but others will set their guns up differently. 

Vogel's are set up to shoot a couple of inches high I believe, and some shooters prefer to set the gun up to hit behind the fiber optic.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

One of the most beneficial changes that you can make to a handgun is sights. I have my new handgun, and never face any issue with its sight. It runs smoothly and hit the target easily.

Wow. This thread was almost exactly a year old when resurrected. I think the OP may have things resolved already.

• 2 weeks later...