Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gaining visual patience the hard way

I thought I'd share this in case it might help somebody...

In the past few months I have been outrunning my sights pretty frequently. At some point I discovered that moving really fast between shooting positions helped my hit factor a lot. The problem for me has been that when I found my next position and started shooting, I was still in a hurry, and I wasn't taking the time to get good hits. I think I thought I had found a good pace for my shooting and I just needed to bring my accuracy up to match the pace.

A few weeks ago I tore my meniscus skiing, and my knee is currently wrecked. Surgery this week, with a long recovery ahead of me. Anyways, last week I just HAD to shoot, so I shot a local match with my leg in an immobilizer. I knew that I'd be moving slow between positions, so I couldn't be dropping a lot of Charlies or Deltas. I set out to get good hits in order to be as competitive as possible, given my condition. Results: I saw my sights on every shot because I HAD TO. I found that I can see my sights faster than I thought I could, and my splits weren't all that much slower than in my usual shooting. I ended up placing 4th in Limited, which is a good placement for me. Instead of the hero-or-zero results I normally get from trying to burn it down (which often result in a NS or some kind of fumble), I shot a steady pace and it paid off. I've seen the quote somewhere on here, something like "If I shoot as fast as I can see the sights, that will be fast enough".

When my knee is healed, if I can apply this lesson to future matches and add visual patience to bust-your-ass movement between positions, I think I will have found a big breakthrough.

I came to a very similar conclusion towards the end of 2015. Making sure that I see the sights every time and being consistent (instead of trying to burn it down) resulted in a much better end result. The visual patience portion of the equation has quickly shown itself as being vital to my personal performance.