Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Bullet diameter?

DDRanch

Some 9mm and 38 super barrels are .356 or larger. Not supposed to be by modern standards, but some barrels are. Plus, some properly sized .355 barrel guns shoot better with bullets at .356. You don't know unless you try.

I have loaded 6 different XTreme plated bullets, all but one .355. Every .355 was mediocre to okay in the accuracy department. The one .356 I loaded -- the 147gr RN-HPCB -- is the most accurate plated bullet I've loaded, and this was cross a wide variety of powders and a few different firearms. Everything but jacketed should be at least .356, and even jacketed CAN be .356 with excellent results.

As stated above, some barrels have a larger bore than .355". My STI trubor barrel slugged out at .3555". Standard size bullets of .355" are not accurate at minor power factor in that barrel. I run .357" zero bullets and get great accuracy out of that barrel.

I recommend that you slug your barrel to find out what size it really is and then test from there.

Chris Yotz

I have not seen eye popping accuracy from various bullets.

jacketed bullets are .355 they seem to run fine. Using my calipers...

the few lubed lead bullets I made at .355 did a beautiful job of leading the barrel.

so If you are doing lead, use at least .356 and avoid the cleaning.

and be careful with a lee FCD, as mine did a crimp/squeeze the to the bullet to .355

I found out while testing for OAL.

I loaded the hammer and the bullet fell out as I did the upswing...

fun stuff.

Guys thanks for all of the input/advice. I have been shooting the extremes .356 147 gr bullets and was offered some in .355 diameter to try out.

Going to cast up some soft lead to slug the barrel.