Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips

mro111lland

I have a cz 75 b running in production class. I recently replaced the grips with rubber grips with finger groves. At our local match was told I can not use them must be oem grips,so I read over the rule book again and it clearly states that u can use replacement panels so who is right?

I have a cz 75 b running in production class. I recently replaced the grips with rubber grips with finger groves. At our local match was told I can not use them must be oem grips,so I read over the rule book again and it clearly states that u can use replacement panels so who is right?

Look at both 21.4 and 22.2 under Appendix D4 -- Production DIVISION.

Do your grips change the profile of the OEM grips by adding finger grooves where there were none? If so they're not ok.....

The fact that they are aftermarket replacement panels isn't the problem. They don't necessarily have to be OEM, but they have to match a factory grip profile. So like Pat said, if CZ offers a Production-approved pistol with finger groove grips, you're OK. If they don't, you can't use them.

Not trying to start an argument but I've brought this up before and never have received a satisfactory answer .... I know of at least 6 different manufacturers of grips for CZ and every one of them has a different profile and therefore everyone technically changes the profile of a CZ from factory because none of them look exactly like the stock rubber grips that come from te factory ... So how are these all legal? And what exactly is defined as factory profile WRT grips?

lol, we must avoid defining what is meant by 'profile'. However the normal definition of profile is a side view, so if the outer outline of the grips doesn't change, you should be able to make them thinner or as fat as you want. Finger grooves would change the outline as viewed from the side.

But grip sleeves are OK and they add finger grooves?

No, not if they add finger grooves.
It is unclear from 21.4 if a grip sleeve that adds finger grooves would be allowed.

"gripsleeves, checkering, stippling or other texture may only be applied in the areas shown in appendix E4."

"Replacement grip panels are allowed provided they do not extend below the butt of the gun to form a make-shift magwell."

The only thing the rules say about grip profiles is that revolvers can use any grip profile. Semi auto grips are required to be "replacement grip panels". One could assume a factory replacement, it is likely this is where the ruling comes from.

Grip sleeves are only required to be only applied to the area shown in E4.

0deaa3bd72a651fb9bfaa59683d079a4.jpg

Has there been a ruling to clarify whether a finger groove grip sleeve conforms to E4?

my custom designed ghetto-engineered grips do not alter the profile of the gun as viewed from the side since they do not extend below or to the 'left' or 'right' of the frame as you are looking at the pic above which why I believe they are legal - they do however look quite different then a lot of the after-market grips you can buy for the CZ .... and I agree that adding a finger groove sleeve would most likely alter the profile of the left side of the frame looking at the pic above since instead of it being straight you would now see a series of contours & therefore be deemed illegal ...

Pat,

I would cite this from the end of App D4:

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

As you pointed out, D4 22.2 specifically allows changing the profile of revolver grips. Since it does not specify semi-auto grips, it's prohibited per the statement above.

Granted, it's confusing to include grip sleeves in 21.4, as I've never seen a grip sleeve that did not add finger grooves.

Pat,

I would cite this from the end of App D4:

— UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

As you pointed out, D4 22.2 specifically allows changing the profile of revolver grips. Since it does not specify semi-auto grips, it's prohibited per the statement above.

Granted, it's confusing to include grip sleeves in 21.4, as I've never seen a grip sleeve that did not add finger grooves.

But grip sleeves are specifically allowed...

That said I detest finger grooves.