Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm

wingnut

Neither. Dan Wesson PM9

I'd have to agree with that....

And again, why? Both get the CRP treatment, but there's still a 300-400 difference if you go hard chrome on the Trojan. Is it the extras on the STI like the front strap stippling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Edited by EasyTargetRN

ETRN, because the latest 9mm Trojans I've seen were abysmally made. Both had problems and had to be sent back. Every single RO 9mm, or 45 for that matter, at one of my clubs functions flawlessly and shoots accurately. It's really beginning to look like STI's best days are behind them.

BTW OP, SA makes a Loaded in 9mm. You have to do a search for it, because it is not easy to find on the web site.

I've got a RO in 9mm and it's a nice piece. The frame to slide fit is tighter than either of the Trojans I have. I have a USPSA STI and the RO chronos slightly faster which I think is interesting. The USPSA STI is a much nicer pistol out of the box but for the money the RO is hard to beat. The only thing tricky about the RO is you got to be careful with weight. Even without a FLGR it was close to max so that I used the hogue grips that form a magwell instead of a steel one.

Maurader is a 2011, wide body.

I've had 2 Trojans. A 45 & a 40. The 40 wouldn't run no matter what mags I tried. The 45 did not feed hollow points, & the ramped barrel on a 45 was not necessary. The stippling on the front strap is absolutely useless. It does nothing to aid grip. The frame is cast, which should be fine, but forged is better. That's why their more expensive guns are forged. The under cut trigger guard was ok.

The RO is forged. The new stainless look really nice. No checkering, but it saves cost. Word is they are fitted like a TRP, but half the cost.

I have 9mm DW PM9. Forged & checkered frame, Bomar style rear sight, fiber optic front, flat top & serrated slide, all machined fire control parts, tightly fitted slide to frame to barrel fit. Add a magwell, tune the trigger a little, add an ambi safety if you like, and that's it. Mine is 100% with Dawson, Wilson ETM, and Checkmate mags. I prefer the Dawson's.

Another vote for the range officer. If you're worried about weight, tri-top the slide and repark it. Just remember buying something from the factory is always going to be cheaper than doing it afterwards when it comes to upgrades...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: You will have to make sure they make the 43oz weight limit with an empty mag. I have a Springfield stainless Loaded Target 9mm and can tell you that it is fitted better than the Springfield Range Officers I have seen. I have not seen the Dan Wesson PM-9 in person so I can't say anything about them. The STI 9mm Trojans I have seen run like a clock. I would try to see if you can shoot both and see which one fits your hands the best. All 1911's are not all the same. Thanks, Eric

I've been doing a LOT of factory 9mm 1911 shooting lately (probably 2000 rounds last 2 weeks). Lots of load tuning, bench shooting at 25/50 yards, Ransom rest, etc. I have the following 9mm's I've been playing with.

-Springfield Loaded Target (slightly older one)

-STI Trojan 6.0

-STI TargetMaster

-Kimber Target II

-Kimber USA Shooting Team Match II

-Les Baer Monolith

(plus some Glocks with fitted barrels, an M&P Performance Center CORE, and a full-size Sig P320, that I can think of)

Additionally, I have handled the RO pretty extensively, though not this week. Unless STI has changed something real recently, they will outshoot the Springers any day of the week and twice on sunday. The Springers are nice entry pistols and no doubt a great value and foundation from which to build, but the bench accuracy (and general reliability) of the STI single-stacks has made me a believer. They will shoot with the Baers with the right load. The Springers best 25yd groups were around 1.5-2" and averaging closer to 3". That's pretty decent for most people, although I consider it very average. To put in perspective, a semi-fit Bar-Sto in a G19 was having no issues doing 1.75" at 25. The STI's on the other hand are doing sub-1" at 25, and both of them have put 5 or 6 shot groups into 1.2" at 50, which is insane. Today with the 6.0 Trojan and some OAL load tweaking yielded a 5-shot group at 25 of .6", with the first shot as a "flyer" and the other 4 going into a quarter inch (center to center). That was backed up with a 1.2" 5-shot 50 yard group. A poorly fitted pistol won't do this, it simply can't.

As far as the Baer, it shoots like a Baer. The Kimbers seemed to have an edge on the RO for raw accuracy, but had a real short chambers which is a pain in the ass for load tuning.

Hello: I forgot to add that are you looking at the STI Range Master or the Springfield Range Officer?

Bingo. I wonder if we're arguing the wrong stuff here...

If that's the question, they shoot similar but the RangeMaster has more frills.

Get whichever one you like more. They both will likely need some work to make it just right (trigger, whatever accessories, etc).

If you're open to suggestions, Sig Match Elite is the best bang for the buck, Dan Wesson is probably the nicest production-line gun.

Neither. Dan Wesson PM9

I'd have to agree with that....

And again, why? Both get the CRP treatment, but there's still a 300-400 difference if you go hard chrome on the Trojan. Is it the extras on the STI like the front strap stippling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The PM-9 is hands down the best "production" gun that I own. Slide to frame fit is outstanding, out of the box accuracy is out of this world.

When I went to buy an Edge a year ago, I went thru 5 different Edges, all with a varying slide to frame fits, before I found one that was "tight". Don't get me wrong I realize that's not the most important part, but I do want the best fit that I can find, and with the variance I found from the Edge, it definitely put me off some of the STI Products. (And yes, I ended going to up to Dawson, and buying a CRP, and even there picked the one with the best fit...)

In the fall I went and looked at both the Trojan and the Range Officer. Both were decent guns, but the Wesson, as a production gun, was closer to a custom gun in terms of fit, finish, and quality, and it's quickly become the most accurate gun that I've got.

I know it's not a unique thing, since it seems every 1911 has magazines it likes better than others, but for me, the Wilson ETM's are what work, the CMC's cant seem to get 10+1, nor were a couple of others. If you've got existing 1911's, and a supply of other magazines, then I can see that being a genuine influencing factor.