Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Changes

Fuzz

I have been working feverishly this winter on mag changes. We had a warm day here and made it out to the range. Right away I noticed that the mag changes were different. Mainly because the bullets were in there and the mag locked up a little harder with the bullets in there.

So this got me wondering. Should I make up enough dummy bullets to fill the mags?

Yes they would have to be marked for safety reasons.

This would be costly and wasteful. Maybe.

Just wondering if anyone has done this or am I just wasting my time.

Thanks for you intelligent opinions.

Absolutely!!

When dry fire training you always want the gun to have a realitsic weight ... And that means a mag full of dummy rounds. Mine have the primer removed plus I use a bullet style I don't shoot so it's very obvious these are dummy rounds ....

Absolutely!!

When dry fire training you always want the gun to have a realitsic weight ... And that means a mag full of dummy rounds. Mine have the primer removed plus I use a bullet style I don't shoot so it's very obvious these are dummy rounds ....

Agreed, no primers no powder you can even use the nickel cases to be totally different if you shoot brass. It's just about the weight and feel. Good luck. Edited by a matt

For what? Doesn't have to be weighted with shot if for some strange reason that was a problem, can put anything in there with the silicon to make the desired weight.

I'm not aware of anything in the rules prohibiting it.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

Thanks for the feed back guy's. I never considered this before. I guess I will be making some dummy rounds.

I have 6 mags that were never very reliable that I use for dry firing anyway so I will be able to tell the difference.

I guess I could also load the bullets backwards to make them obvious.

Thanks again.

I guess I could also load the bullets backwards to make them obvious.

I think it is valuable to have dummy rounds that will chamber reliably, to practice empty gun starts and empty table starts and so forth, so it's more than just the weight.

Even if the bullets do look different, I would still feel uncomfortable if I didn't actually look at the primer pocket of each dummy round before I do any practice that involves chambering a round.

I personally won't drop a hammer when I know I have a round dummy or other in the chamber. Sheetrock doesn't stand a chance aginst 1400fps. That's just my take. I'm sure everyone that is making up dummy rounds for dry fire is as safe as they can be. I just do my tables starts at the range. I like to know I'm getting my alphas with my table starts anyway. Thats something I need to work at. Thanks

For what? Doesn't have to be weighted with shot if for some strange reason that was a problem, can put anything in there with the silicon to make the desired weight.

No no, I'm with you that it is within the rules to do a reload at a safe table with empty mags. I was curious if any one maybe made a mistake and called the cops? Not that you were doing anything wrong.

I have been told that that is not a good idea more than once. So I refrain from the safe area and mags. Keeping the peace. Lol

My post showed in the quote ahead of your final thought. Idk?

Edited by a matt

No no, I'm with you that it is within the rules to do a reload at a safe table with empty mags. I was curious if any one maybe made a mistake and called the cops? Not that you were doing anything wrong.

I have been told that that is not a good idea more than once. So I refrain from the safe area and mags.

? It sounds like the people who told you that haven't read the rules.

fwiw, I have chrono'd my dummy rounds. None of them will go through sheetrock.

Bayou Bullets offers sample packs of bullets with red coating. I've used a red paint pen so far, but will be getting a sample pack when it's time to build more dummy rounds. I also leave my dry fire mags in my dry fire area and they're not used for anything else.

I made 40 dummy rounds tonight and did them the normal direction. I marked them all black.

I have and do not allow any live ammo in the dryfire room. Also the seperate mags will keep any accidents from happening.

We will see starting with my routine in the am.

That's a great idea. I usually dry fire practice in the back yard in the shade. No neighbors to the rear definitely has its benefits. Never thought about the weight of the mags, have been running them empty. Will have to make some up and mark them.

Later, as you get better at reloads you don't need the weight to be the same, but when starting out it's a good idea.

So, I made a wooden insert. It had a shape on top that resembled a round, and then I drilled holes in it to hold a bunch of bullets. This way, it has similar weight to a loaded mag, but the top had wood sticking out instead of a round. This way, I can practice reloads without chasing dummy rounds allover the basement. I can also rack it without loading/ejecting dummy rounds.

It was easier than it sounds. :)

Later, as you get better at reloads you don't need the weight to be the same, but when starting out it's a good idea.

So, I made a wooden insert. It had a shape on top that resembled a round, and then I drilled holes in it to hold a bunch of bullets. This way, it has similar weight to a loaded mag, but the top had wood sticking out instead of a round. This way, I can practice reloads without chasing dummy rounds allover the basement. I can also rack it without loading/ejecting dummy rounds.

It was easier than it sounds. :)

It doesn't matter how good I get, there is a difference between fully weighted mags and empty mags to me.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

• 7 months later...

Everyone,

just buy a hornady lock and load press. Load normally for a little while and you will have so many "dummy" rounds with no primer you will start throwing them away. Just shake the powder back into the hopper out of the empty primer hole, and throw it in a bin. That bin will have many more "dummies" thrown into it the longer you continue to load on a Lock N load. I now load on a 1050 but from my locknload days I almost have enough dummy rounds to fill all of my mags.

Seems some folks are overcomplicating things.  Load up dummy rounds with no powder or primers, they cannot physically go bang.  Them going bang is just as likely as a gun going off on its own.  Load up two or three mags that are used exclusively for dry fire, and then don't worry about it.  

May I recommend a couple of safety protocols for dummy round mag training?

I store all live ammo separate.  In fact, my competition gun pretty much never has a live round in a mag anywhere but the range.  This obviously wouldn't be the case shooting a carry gun in production or similar situation.

I store my dummies in 50 round plastic containers that are marked.  I have 100 ea in .40 and .45.  All of them are marked red and have no primers in them.  My live stuff stays in 100 round boxes.  It is easy for me to know I have all of my dummies accounted for because I have 4 full 50 round boxes when I'm done.

When I dry fire I do one of 2 things as a redundant safety measure:

A:  I remove the firing pin.  This is very easy for me since I have a series 70 1911 style gun.  Lock the slide back and pull the pin.  Even if I did load a live round I would have a redundant safety measure.

or

B:  I insert my laserlyte dummy round.  It has no extraction groove so it acts as a chamber plug that would block any potential live round from chambering.  If you don't want the laser feedback you can insert it without batteries.