Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing a compensator

Ive got an older 1911 open 38 super that has a steel comp on it, it has shifted on the threads and id like to remove it then square it back up. But i have no idea what the previous owner put on it to hold it in place, it could be loctite? some people at the range mentioned the use a heat gun on high to soften what ever was used then remove it to clean the threads up. Also what should i use when putting it back on to keep it in place? red/green/blue loctite? or...

I use Loctite #271 for comps. To disassemble I wait until dinner comes out of the oven, put the barrel/comp in and crank it up to 500, as soon as it hits that temp I pull it out by the barrel with oven mitts on, clamp it in the vise by the comp and back out the barrel by hand.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I use a heat gun

Put on high for a minute or two, when you smell the Loctite start to cook, try to turn it, if it doesn't,

repeat the above until it does

I use Loctite 272, which is high temp/high strength, I've had comp turn on me using 271

Also after you you apply the Loctite, chuck the slide, barrel and comp assembly in a vice with the vice jaws holding

Both the slide and comp straight to prevent the comp turning as the Loctite hardens

Recommend using new Loctite as it does have an expiration to it.

Also highly recommend Loctite Primer 7649 with the Red 271 or 272.

But you will have to work a little quicker when using the Primer, it does set up faster.

I use Loctite #271 for comps. To disassemble I wait until dinner comes out of the oven, put the barrel/comp in and crank it up to 500, as soon as it hits that temp I pull it out by the barrel with oven mitts on, clamp it in the vise by the comp and back out the barrel by hand.

This i like better than a heat gun just because the heat is even and releases the locking agent completely. Heat gun may not loosen all of it?

I use a propane torch and heat it up till I smell the locktite. Comp in padded vise, use glove to turn barrel. But if the comp has shifted in threads it could be cross threaded. If you force it off it could ruin threads on the barrel ruining barrel and comp. If cross threaded slice the comp lightly with a thin disc lengthwise on two sides to relieve it and then twist it off. Hopefully not cross threaded.

I want to thank all of you for the advise, I ended up using a heat gun to soften what ended up being red loctite. I believe I found out why it turned, the previous owner had only put the thread lock on the smooth un-threaded portion of the comp to barrel junction. I thought that was a little strange, shouldn't the thread locker be on the threaded portion of the comp to lock it on?

I want to thank all of you for the advise, I ended up using a heat gun to soften what ended up being red loctite. I believe I found out why it turned, the previous owner had only put the thread lock on the smooth un-threaded portion of the comp to barrel junction. I thought that was a little strange, shouldn't the thread locker be on the threaded portion of the comp to lock it on?

The red Loctite is more commonly used directly on the threads of the parts,

( it's also higher heat compatible, which is a little better when using with a comp )

There are other Loctites such as 620 Green which is more commonly used with un-threaded surfaces or press fit assemblies. But the green has also been used for threaded cone/comp installs too. Again the Primer helps with the strength of the Loctite , and especially if different types of metals are assembled together.

Edited by gunnit

After getting the comp off the barrel obviously there is a mess of Loctite on the threads still. Using a small wire brush worked pretty well, but is there a solvent that will melt the leftovers so the wire bush attack doesn't have to be as aggressive?

Loctite has a cleaner fluid you can get. Then use a wire brush.

After getting the comp off the barrel obviously there is a mess of Loctite on the threads still. Using a small wire brush worked pretty well, but is there a solvent that will melt the leftovers so the wire bush attack doesn't have to be as aggressive?

Loctite has a cleaner fluid you can get. Then use a wire brush.

Thanks! I never thought to look at the brand for a dissolver cleaner.. doh. Ill give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

1st Be sure you dont have a set screw on the underside of the comp.

2nd Go shoot around 100 to 200 rounds as fast as you can.

3rd wear good leather gloves and have a vice ready so you don't scratch the gun then twist the comp off. As long as you do not have the ccne comp set up it should start a little hard then get super light to twist off.

Edited by a matt

• 8 months later...