Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RT1500 Trimmer Shavings

I have a new RT1500 setup on a 1050 with a trimmer head and the .223 carbide trim die. In station one I have a carbide fl size die, with the expander ball removed, set part way down. Then I have the trimmer setup in the trimmer station, and a carbide expander in the last station. I am using One Shot without any issues so far (1000 cases).

My problem is that I end up with long brass spirals falling into the cases every once in awhile. I'm running at about 600 rounds an hour right now with a decent dwell time.

I'm running a small 2 gallon Craftsman vacuum and I assume there is enough suction. I can feel a fair amount of air pulling through the die.

I'm curious if others have run into this and what they have done to solve it?

Way over priced and extremely over rated. MSC sell replacement blades much cheaper. The easiest thing is to just back the handle off slightly to allow the chips to break free and then push down again for the final cut.

My trim length is 1.750"

I just checked my vacuum and there is a good amount of shavings inside both the vacuum and the hose. I cleared those out. I was getting shavings in the very first casings though. But this does have me thinking about switching to a non-ridged clear vacuum tube.

I'll also take a look at different trimmer blades that might prevent strings in the first place.

I will also try altering my stroke...although I fear that might be easier said than done 100% of the time.

I appreciate all the input!

I don't use one shot, even Hornady does not recommend it for rifle brass because of the possible stuck case in a full length die. I use a lanolin based lube (Dillon) and tumble after sizing and trimming. All the trim swarf comes out of the cases then...

jj

I don't use one shot, even Hornady does not recommend it for rifle brass because of the possible stuck case in a full length die. I use a lanolin based lube (Dillon) and tumble after sizing and trimming. All the trim swarf comes out of the cases then...

jj

Got a source for this? Nothing like that on their website that I can find.

600 rounds per hour is SLOW feed rate. You ARENT over running the trimmer's capability if you think you might be. I had the feed rate numbers from Dillon at one point when I was testing a pre-production RT1500, but cant find them now.

My GUESS is you are spinning cases. With your sizing die in the first station you are doing SOME sizing. I prefer to simply de-cap in the first station with a Lee universal die so that my trim die does 100% of the sizing and then I expand the neck in the station after(as you are currently doing). This keeps case spin almost non-existent.

The other thing you are probably doing is running the handle quite slowly up into the die, which again leads to case spin and long strands. Ram her on up in there quickly, dwell a quick second, and pull out quickly(thats sounds bad).

I get the long strands some times. I have drilled about 6 holes on the opposite side of the vacuum port in the second piece of the manifold. It REALLY moves air, but I have to wear ear plugs or in ear head phones(my usual) because it whistles a bit(I swear I heard it whistle Dixie one day). Im also running a 150cfm Fein vacuum though which is probably 2x or more the flow of your Craftsman shop vac.

I have contemplated trying the carbide inserts with the chip breaker, but never have. There is somebody else sourcing them for like 12 bucks vs. the $30 that is linked above.

The reason for the slow feed rate is because I was getting so many dented/crushed case mouths with the swage backup rod.

I did think it was spinning cases, but I put an index mark on a number of them and it they didn't move. I guess I should have stated that in my original post.

I've ordered some different cutters off of Amazon with the chip breaker...10 for ~$22...figured that was worth a shot. They should be here on Tuesday. I'll also try a different vacuum and speeding up my up/down stroke after I've cleared the swage backup rod in the mean time.

Thanks for the tips!

jj

Called and asked them. Plus there are many posts here supporting it. Why use a lube that is known to cause stuck cases when a lanolin based lube does not?

jj

jj

Called and asked them. Plus there are many posts here supporting it. Why use a lube that is known to cause stuck cases when a lanolin based lube does not?

jj

The reason I ask is that I've used One Shot for years and I don't know how many rifle cases and never had that problem. Thanks.

I had a chance to play around with things a little more.

I tried the different trimmer blades I got off of Amazon. That didn't work at all! They just mushroomed the case mouths and squealed with every cut...yes I was sure I had it on the right way. They are noticeably not as sharp as the blade Dillon provides and I assume they can't handle the speed the trimmer runs at. I ordered a couple of blades that Ballistic Tools sells just to try out.

Going back to the Dillon blade, removing the swage backup rod (since it was crushing case mouths at faster speeds), speeding up the cycle rate to 1200 rounds an hour I was getting very nasty case mouths. Double stroking roughly .25 of an inch cleans them up nicely but I am still getting coils inside of my cases. I ran about 1000 cases this way.

Next step will be to upgrade my vacuum. It is a little 2 gallon 1.5hp Craftsman that is brand new...but was free. So I am going to look to something that can move some more air and probably switch to a clear hose/tube that is ridge less.

When I receive the Ballistic Tools blades and have a chance to test I'll post my findings.

I installed the Ballistic Tools blade. I ran through 750 pieces of brass at different . The cut isn't nearly as nice as what I'd get with the Dillon blade and double stroking. I still get coils in my brass, but they are much shorter.

I'm going to try a new vacuum.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-5872510-Professional-Portable-Vacuum/dp/B001A4FKVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458083192&sr=8-1&keywords=Shop-Vac+5872510

I think I just need more power.

Drill the extra holes to increase the air flow across the vacuum manifold opposite of the vacuum attachment tube like rjacobs posted. Without the extra holes there isn't enough air flow to pick up the heavier chips.

I've had very good results using aerosol Royal Case Lube, it's very slick, and smells good.

http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal-case-die-lube/

jj

been using one shot for over a decade on rifle cases, a whole lot of them, and have never stuck one either.

as far as the OP, start with a smooth hose for the vacuum, bet that clears 99% of oyur issues.

jj

The reason I ask is that I've used One Shot for years and I don't know how many rifle cases and never had that problem. Thanks.

^ well that didnt seem to work. lol ive used one shot for over a decade on rifle cases, and have never stuck one, and ive done a whole lot of them. as for the OP's issue, start with a smooth vacuum hose, bet that clears 99% of your problem.

I usually deprime my brass with a Lee universal deprimer die in station 1 on my 650, and then trim on station 2. I do this so I can get as much air flow through the case to minimize chips in the case. It seems to work, as I don't find many chips after I clean the cases.

jj

The only stuck case I've ever had was just a few weeks ago - and it was with a case lubed with one shot. Lesson learned.

Back on topic, where does one find vacuum hoses without ribs?

Back on topic, where does one find vacuum hoses without ribs?

I would like to know the same. I found some clear vinyl tube at Home Depot, but its too thick to be pliable and not long enough.

My new vacuum showed up and it really sucks! The difference in suction between this and my old one is night and day. A nice benefit is it is actually quieter too. The only downside is that it uses a 1.5" hose. I have it jerry rigged for now, but do have a new hose hitting on the way. With this and the clear braided tubing I have a nice collection of shavings in my vacuum and not in my brass or anywhere in the line.

I went back to the Dillon blade and it is producing "messy" case mouths. Like an idiot I tried to clean one off and managed to smash my finger and take a nice 5.56mm diameter chunk out of it in the process. I'm going to try a different edge on the blade or one of my other blades to see if it does any better. That and maybe sending the brass on a trip through a tumbler afterwards.

Thanks for all the tips!