Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC resizing on the cheap

Mark R

Just a little FYI for you 38SC shooters...When I was shooting 40 S&W I came across the Redding GR-x push through die which resized all my 40 S&W brass to perfect specs for reloading. I have since started shooting open division with an STI Trubor in 38 SC and noticed that after reloading, I would get about 4-6% failure rates when case gauging reloaded rounds.

Since 38 SC is a straight wall case, I contacted Redding, who makes the GR-x push-thru dies, and they said the market is not large enough to make a push-thru die for 38 SC. So I searched for alternatives.

I looked into the Case-Pro roll sizer, but didn't want to pay $900. A friend of mine turned me onto this. Get the Lee Factory Crimp die in 38 Super and remove the crimper on top. Get the Lee Bulge Buster Base sizing kit and place it in place of the removed crimp. Mount this in a Lee single stage press and waa-laa...a push-thru die for 38 SC. Now I get 100% case gauged 38SC ammo. Oh, be sure to lube the cases and this setup will also cull out the 38 Supers as they won't go thru due to the rim. (hammer and punch to remove the supers)

Here are the components you need, less the press:

Lee Bulge Buster Base Sizing Kit (380 Auto 40 S&W 45 ACP) $17.99

and

Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die 38 Super $19.99

Yes, I've been doing this for a few years myself, works like a champ. In searching the topic I found an obscure mention about this here on enos. The main part was it was something that came from Brandon at SVI. I contacted Brandon and he gladly filled in the blanks.

It's so much more economical and IMO better alternative than roll-sizing

I too, have done this with the LEE FCD for the 40sw. Now that I shoot Open 9mm, I first bought the 9x18 markov LEE FCD, only because I read someone here on the forum used that for 9mm. But it didnt work!

So I bought 9mm Luger Lee FCD remove the inside parts and used that for awhile. But I stopped...to be honest, I have been reloading and have not had a problems with the rounds not feeding!

Sure it makes sense to full case resize but I have not had any issues with the 9mm, shooting major.

What I did notice when I was using in the 40, was that loading the magazines the rounds did stack nicely on top of each other, would expect the same with 9mm but again I have not had any issues, loading magazines or rounds not chambering.

FWIW

BTW, I would only do this FCD sizing once, when I got Once Fired Brass. Brass I shoot out of my gun, I didnt FCD again and brass at the match, I would leave there anyway. So only once I would do this.

thanks

Edited by kimberacp

I did the same thing as well for 9x21 and 9x19 with a 9x18 markov, always worked perfectly. Too bad for some reason it did not work for you.

Now that I shoot Open 9mm, I first bought the 9x18 markov LEE FCD, only because I read someone here on the forum used that for 9mm. But it didnt work!

So I bought 9mm Luger Lee FCD remove the inside parts and used that for awhile. But I stopped...to be honest, I have been reloading and have not had a problems with the rounds not feeding!

I put the FCD with the guts taken out in station 2 on the 1050 for all pistol calibers. It sizes the case almost to factory specs.

I can't remember exactly what it was for 38SC (for 9mm with a regular Dillon sizing die, its about .001" larger than new WWB) but with an EGW U die and the FCD, it was close enough to a new piece of Starline that I sold my casepros as a result.

Why not just save the extra labor and use a standard LEE die? Then if that doesn't work why not a Udie?

Couple reasons for me.

1. When I was shooting .40 and using range pickup brass when I had my Tanfoglio with old-style mags there was no way to get max. capacity AND reliable feeding without having the cases completely resized.

2. I've always used Lee sizing dies as well. Yes, they size furthest down the case but not all the way down. Push through sizing completely resizes the case.

3. The reloading process in general is therapeutic to me and I enjoy it. Each step is neiher a burden nor a chore. The extra step taken to completely resize the cases; I view as just more fun.

To each his own

the whole idea is to resize the cntire case. when you do, you notice that the rim of the 9mm brass is also out of spec, not just the belly of the case being bulged.

so your reshaping the dia. of the rim, also.

I just found with the 9x18 markov die, the 9mm case would not go through, I had to force it through. I think some even got stuck. I tried it case mouth first, then the bottom but no go.

I cant really remember now but it wasnt worth it. Not if your thousands of case, no way.

As it is now, no issues at all just reloading them on the press. no failures to feed.

9mm is a slightly tapered case...push-thru will not work.

Yes it does. I've done thousands of them.

With a .394" rim, .3910 base of the body, and .3811 mouth...I'm not sure you are fully sizing the brass...yea you may push it thru, but you are not bringing the brass back to SAAMI specs.

With a .394" rim, .3910 base of the body, and .3811 mouth...I'm not sure you are fully sizing the brass...yea you may push it thru, but you are not bringing the brass back to SAAMI specs

I would agree with this statement, using the LEE FCD die. that is why I stopped. some had resistance, only some, while everything else just went through.

rut ro...

what you may see in the difference of a diameter of 9.96 and 9.93 mm?

when you are squeezing brass into dies, that difference of .03mm is not much of an issue

I found a converter that says it is .00118 inches....

If the die sizes the case to a overall diameter size of 9.96mm and then I ran the case through my normal dies

I suspect the ammo would work quite well. my only doubts are from not having done just that.

I have seen a few cases with a 'tire' just above the extractor groove.. I have little doubt

the push through die would remove the tire effect.

how much work would like to put into your ammo?

Glk21C says he is willing to take that step and finds it satisfactory.

... he may well be sizing the rim to 9.93mm. buuut I doubt the extractor will have a problem with the dimension

the brass may get hardened a bit and a little harder there is no a bad thing.

miranda

Running 9mm through makarov FCD insert is done by many who feel they need it. It only sizes what can't be sized by a sizing die. Ie the very bottom if the case. Then it gets loaded traditionally to size the rest of the case.

I personally use a Udie with great success.

I'm with some of the others...

I do not understand how the portion of the case just above the extractor groove can be sized if the rim is larger than this portion of the case. I can see where the push-thru concept works in some situations (straight-walled cases with rims of the same diameter as the body), but I fail to see how it can work on a tapered case with a rim that is still larger than the portion of the case you are trying to address.

Perhaps Miranda has actually explained it to me though...

Does the case rim effectively get sized down too as it passes through the portion of the die that brings the body back into "spec"? Do you end up with a "rimless" 9x19? Would it then potentially load into magazines and feed a little better too?

ah.

I was thinking that the specification of rim diameter (9.96mm)

and the case above the extraction groove diameter (9.93mm)

and the one thousand of an inch difference that represents,

it would be pretty clear that the die is very likely to get them to the same dimension....

it really makes no difference.

to make this a little more clear...

when I am making parts on a lathe, If i make things at plus or minus a thousand, I think I am doing Great!

It is a step in ammo making that Glk21C does as part of his process.

You don't have to do what he does. I doubt I will.

I would run his ammo because I am pretty sure he is not doing any harm to the cases.

miranda

I size and de-prime with a standard Lee sizing die, and then run through a U die for both 38 Super and 38 super comp. I found that with picked up range brass, it works better to size it in steps. when just using the U die to size there were a lot of case gauge failures, and sometimes a small ridge formed just above the extractor groove. Using two sizing dies results in at least 75% less failures. And considering the cost of Super and Super comp brass...